Sign in to follow this  
jennoa

Irrational Interviews Episode 4: Cliff Bleszinski

I know y'all hate how Ken Levine spends most of these podcasts talking about himself, but with Bleszinski I think it really works because they're both terrific conversationalists. They were genuinely able to build on each other's experiences. This was a great listen.

I like how Bleszinski was able to acknowledge all the goofy, aggravating things about Heavy Rain and yet still make a case for it as a good game. His enthusiasm for video games is infectious!

I'd love to see what kind of train wreck this might turn into if Levine and Remo interview someone less extroverted.

It is a pretty great show overall, but I'm having a hard time listening to that opening, with all the supercool radio effects. It's... kinda douchey. The actual podcast is quite interesting, even if there's way too little Remo in it for my comfort.

Please butt in more often with stories about ceramic teapots, Remo! It's a panacea for Thumbs withdrawal.

The actual podcast is quite interesting, even if there's way too little Remo in it for my comfort.

Remo giving listeners the silent treatment is appropriate, given this is an interview. This is all the Cliff Bleszinski you can expect to hear for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what will happen to the podcast when(if?) they run out of industry luminaries to interview. I can't imagine irrational paying to produce the meandering nonsense sessions which made Idle Thumbs great.

It is a pretty great show overall, but I'm having a hard time listening to that opening, with all the supercool radio effects. It's... kinda douchey. The actual podcast is quite interesting, even if there's way too little Remo in it for my comfort.

Yes to all of that. While listening I was wondering whether Chris wasn't participating as much because Bleszinski was going on about the subtler side to Gears (Dom's wife, oil analogy, etc.) and he perhaps didn't think that was as effective as all that. Not to put words in Remo's mouth – I don't remember whether Gears was ever discussed on Thumbs – but it seemed to me like it might be a case of not wanting to embarrass the interviewee. Perhaps I'm just projecting my own opinion onto Chris, though, which is a bit weird, because I actually really like Gears, but I do think the attempts at seriousness in the story are kind of ridiculous and a little embarrassing.

Perhaps I'm just projecting my own opinion onto Chris, though, which is a bit weird, because I actually really like Gears, but I do think the attempts at seriousness in the story are kind of ridiculous and a little embarrassing.

That sounds like something The/Idle Thumbs would say on their podcast, but I doubt he'd bring that up here.