Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Is John Romero REALLY dating an 18 year old?

So you're not refering to Yufsster? :grin:
I was refering to her name (with an exta s) also shared by that monument :blink:

I'm a big Romero defender.

His personality quirks aside, John is a great game designer, as anyone that spent late nights playing Doom, Doom 2 or Q1 DM4 will tell you (especially that last one). He's a terrible writer, I won't defend that. The "story" behind both Dooms and Quake is so outlandishly bad it's laughable.

Romero's a really, really nice guy. He's got an ego, but face-to-face, he's surprisingly down to earth. Even when the whole ION Storm furor was at its height, he was still down to earth in person.

He's also one of the world's formost authorities on Apple ][ gaming. Tell him you were an Apple gamer back in the early 80's and he'll tell you exactly who designed what game and when. It's really pretty cool (if you're into that sort of thing).

Oh, and for the record, I actually sat in that couch. The old ION office was crazy. It was at the top of the tallest building in Dallas and had all glass walls on the outside.

Which sounds great in theory, right? Really pretty?

There was just one teeny problem they didn't think of. Dallas is one of those cities that has that whole sun thing. You know, where it gets hot? Especially in August? Well, in the summer time, that beautiful glass office turned into a greenhouse. People would fight, not for the cubicles closest to the windows, but for the ones closest to the air conditioner. It's a classic case of designing an office that looks good, but isn't even remotely practical.

His personality quirks aside, John is a great game designer, as anyone that spent late nights playing Doom, Doom 2 or Q1 DM4 will tell you (especially that last one). He's a terrible writer, I won't defend that. The "story" behind both Dooms and Quake is so outlandishly bad it's laughable.

I won't dismiss that, since you've met him in person (I assume). I'm sure he's personable enough. I'd probably hold Eidos and whomever else was involved responsible for stigmatizing him, I thought it was a stupid idea to pimp programmers/designers as rockstars. And I am nobody's fooking bitch. :grin:

There was just one teeny problem they didn't think of. Dallas is one of those cities that has that whole sun thing. You know, where it gets hot? Especially in August? Well, in the summer time, that beautiful glass office turned into a greenhouse. People would fight, not for the cubicles closest to the windows, but for the ones closest to the air conditioner. It's a classic case of designing an office that looks good, but isn't even remotely practical.

We had the same problem in downtown Chicago years ago with the State of Illinois Building. Designed by architect Helmut Jahn (one of the city's token internationals), that building was controversial when it opened, partially for its wasteful use of space. The atrium soared up to the full height of the building, but the problem was that it was so hot during the summertime. I guess it was 'cause of the combination of the inefficient a/c system and the oven-like design of the structure.

It all depends on what A/C system you install, of course. You don't wanna look at the energy bill, though :shifty:

An advantage of a hot office: Women wear less clothes. :P

However, that would again make some employees sweat even more.

--Erwin

Everyone has the right to a relationship. shrug.

But as for the amount of pictures of her on the website. yeah, thats weird. And you'd expect them to be snaps of romania, and other people and stuff.

But lets hope Romero settles down a bit with this girl.

No more full page ads!

We had the same problem in downtown Chicago years ago with the State of Illinois Building. Designed by architect Helmut Jahn (one of the city's token internationals), that building was controversial when it opened, partially for its wasteful use of space. The atrium soared up to the full height of the building, but the problem was that it was so hot during the summertime. I guess it was 'cause of the combination of the inefficient a/c system and the oven-like design of the structure.

Hmm, my mom used to work in that building, on the floor below the top floor. And I too can attest to its major design flaws (right down to glass elevators. It's not enough that they're small boxes and that half of them don't go up all the way to the top, but they're designed to be hot as well?)

Also my kindergarten was for a time in the Old State of Illinois building next door. The playground was on the roof, so you had to be careful not to fall to your doom. Ahh, the joys of big city life...

Anyways, back to Romero. Neither he nor Carmack impresses me very much as game designers, because neither of them seems to be able to write good stories for games (one of my major buying criteria). I guess that's why I got more excited over the new Half-Life game than over DOOM 3.

Hmm, I've always thought that game designers are more like people who design what the game looks like and how everything works. Not storywriters.

I think Romero is a good game designer. He's just incredibly overzealous. This, combined with a hundredeleventymillionthousand hastily spent Eidos dollars, led to the spectacular crash of Daikatana. It was a case of mismanagement and poor direction, not a case of Romero having the wrong ideas.

Hmm, I've always thought that game designers are more like people who design what the game looks like and how everything works. Not storywriters.

No, they pretty much come up with the concepts and story too, at least in the past. Now there's a new movement towards the post of "game writer" being a seperate profession.