MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

Sorry guys, there just hasn't been enough continued interest in the server to justify my continuing to pay for it. I'll make an archive of the last epoch available on idlemc.com soon, and the server will be shut down in the next few days.

I wrapped up my Minecraft adventure by watching 2 Player Productions' Minecraft documentary: http://www.theminecraftmovie.com/

It's really amazing, the story of Minecraft that is. It's great to hear industry vets (various industry press people, but also Molyneux and Shafer) talk about how world shattering Minecraft has been. And yet, we're here 2 years after the Minecraft tornado hit town, and not much has changed in the publisher world. Sure, there has been a shift in other places (i.e. kickerstarts, big names going indie), but not a lot in the EA/Activitsion/Ubisoft/etc world.

I wrapped up my Minecraft adventure by watching 2 Player Productions' Minecraft documentary: http://www.theminecraftmovie.com/

It's really amazing, the story of Minecraft that is. It's great to hear industry vets (various industry press people, but also Molyneux and Shafer) talk about how world shattering Minecraft has been. And yet, we're here 2 years after the Minecraft tornado hit town, and not much has changed in the publisher world. Sure, there has been a shift in other places (i.e. kickerstarts, big names going indie), but not a lot in the EA/Activitsion/Ubisoft/etc world.

That was a really awesome movie. Watching it made me get back into Minecraft.

Me and a buddy are looking around for good tekkit servers. Anyone still playing and have recommendations?

Downloaded the epoch, relived a bunch of stuff and remembered the Gotse shaped water dam that I never finished.

http://imgur.com/a/XKXq5

Majesty. Maybe one day I'll actually fill it with water. 

I'm still a bit creatively spent with minecraft, but I'm going to try to get back into it for 1.6

Horses, and custom sound packs are small additions, but I think it's worth checking out again.  Also I guess I've never fought a Wither boss or played with comparators and hoppers.

I'm still a bit creatively spent with minecraft, but I'm going to try to get back into it for 1.6

Horses, and custom sound packs are small additions, but I think it's worth checking out again.  Also I guess I've never fought a Wither boss or played with comparators and hoppers.

Wonder if you need to pay 5 bucks for that horse armor.

I have felt the same way in the past where I thought I was burnt out on this game but it becomes amazingly fresh again after taking a couple months off. I've probably burnt out on Minecraft 4 or 5 times by now but every time I come back after taking a break I get sucked right back in. Not sure when you last played but they have added a shitload of stuff in the last year that is totally worth checking out.

Sooooo... Would anyone be interested in noodling around on a minecraft server again? Or know of a decent server to play on?

hmm... tempting.

It has been quite a while since I've played minecraft.

I originally came into the Idle Forums after watching the Minecraft server stream because I wanted to jump on Idle MC. But I always had the wrong version of Minecraft and never could.

I'm another who would be down... and I'd gladly chip in to fund a server. But if there's not a lot of people interested, it's a real bummer. Tabacco, how much did it cost per month/year?

I originally came into the Idle Forums after watching the Minecraft server stream because I wanted to jump on Idle MC. But I always had the wrong version of Minecraft and never could.

I'm another who would be down... and I'd gladly chip in to fund a server. But if there's not a lot of people interested, it's a real bummer. Tabacco, how much did it cost per month/year?

https://cubedhost.org/minecraft#purchase

between 8 and 16 bucks a month depending on how much ram you want.  The lower tiers are pretty much unplayable.

Is it not feasible for someone to just run a server on their own PC and use Hamachi? When my friend and I were playing regularly I ran our server on the same PC I was playing on and never experienced any issues. And Hamachi gave us the vpn we needed for up to 5 users for free.

Anyone with a static IP could, in theory, run a server assuming that they have a UPnP enabled router, but my experience is that it starts getting a bit laggy and wierd once you get up over 4 people playing. Of course, we were also playing with a huge FTB pack that had lots of machines that could have been part of the problem. We had a lot better performance running off a hosted server, and they're not near as expensive as they used to be.

Edit: Oooh, 1.7.2 came out as well

Edit3: Dang it, that's a voice server not a Minecraft server. I need to learn to read.

If anyone is running their own box for minecraft they're probably paying more for electricity than some of those cheaper packages, and the performance would be pretty terrible.

Cubedhost was a good host. I think I was paying $30 or so. There just wasn't enough interest.

(By the way, if someone wants to run a server I'll happily put it up on idlemc.com and set up the srv records and stuff)

Yeah I used Cubedhost for a bit at work after we shut down the last epoch.  They've got a pretty good admin panel, and helped me setup a custom mod pack.

Maybe next time we're looking at doing it we should do a pseudo kickstarter, where people pledge an amount to go towards hosting fees.  More important than keeping the upkeep of the server down, it'll help gauge how serious people are.