MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

We used to reset the old server monthly or so to keep things fresh (though some epochs went longer out of inattention). I'm neutral either way, just wanted to put the idea out there :)

I'm not sure. We had a bunch of interest early on I think because it had been a while, and we were playing a new build. I'm struggling right now with an idea of what to build.

I think a reset will definitely make sense when the next version comes out, since it's a major overhaul largely focused on server improvements. Essentially the Bukkit guys are working at turning the multiplayer version into the single player client as well, and trying to track down all the inconsistencies and bugs. Also, single player games will be able to host guests, which is a kind of cool side effect.

But it's also taking them a lot of time, and probably won't be out in a while. I think the lack of updates has meant a lack of interesting builds.

Oh. If I had known a reset was on the recent horizon, I'd never have made plans to dig a huge pit and do shit with it. I still hop on every now and then and dig another layer.

If only it was already dug, I could start building. ):

Oh. If I had known a reset was on the recent horizon, I'd never have made plans to dig a huge pit and do shit with it.

Again, just asking what people think. So far nobody seems into it.

There are more than a few projects still being worked on. Maybe wait for the next version to hit (and reset with the new huge biomes option?).

I really liked the town square community project. Always wanted to build something there, but felt it would have been greedy do so while my giant building loomed nearby. Smaller scale builds like those, are more approachable, and less likely to get abandoned. Though for some they can be less engaging. Common rookie mistake in MC is to start an impossibly big project.

I have no objections to a reset. I'm still enjoying the current epoch, so no rush for me.

Maybe instead of resetting we could move the spawn and start a new city somewhere far away.

I am registering this opinion as moot, however, as I have only logged in once. :getmecoat

Maybe instead of resetting we could move the spawn and start a new city somewhere far away.

I am registering this opinion as moot, however, as I have only logged in once. :getmecoat

That's always my wish, but nobody seems to like it ;(

I also have no opinion on this server as Minecraft (actually Java) runs out of memory and explodes on my current home install in a way I can't fix reliably, so I haven't been playing. It's killing me.

I also have no opinion on this server as Minecraft (actually Java) runs out of memory and explodes on my current home install in a way I can't fix reliably, so I haven't been playing. It's killing me.

- Are you running Java 7, of the appropriate bit for your OS?

- Have you tried allocating more memory to the process?

(I imagine you have, I just want to check those before we try more arcane roads.)

I'm in favor of this option as well, so that's already 3 of us.

I've been to far far way, it was highly overrated

Another vote for a spawn relocation. :tup: Somewhere unmapped, obviously!

And this time not a spawn tree, but a town hall. Oh and 12x12x12 plots to build your town house on this time around! :yep:

also: http://djazz.mine.nu/lab/minecraft_items/

Edited by ysbreker

To whoever built a moat around my sheep farm:

Tell me who you are so I can hug you and give you a reward. You are awesome sir, keep rocking on!

I think once diablo has run its course I'll be back one the MC server, but I am still having a tough time coming up with a project.

Hopefully 1.3 brings with it some interesting mechanics.

I got really pumped up about a Thumbs city/town that was properly organized before it was built and therefore made the following conceptual layout:

ThumbsTown1.png

ThumbsTown2.png

The plots (the brightly colored plots) are 13 by 13, the paths between houses are 1 x 27, the sidewalk 2 blocks wide and the road 7 blocks wide with white marks at 3 blocks long. Will this layout work for our needs or does it need to be changed?

The structured city thing has been done on the Reddit servers, and it's always awesome. There was an iteration of that server where someone built a super elaborate university building that was basically a gallery of style guides for a city district. The whole area was pre-built-out with city streets and plots, the way you did above, and then they went further by limiting building materials and having stuff like a gallery of suggested window treatments, etc.

I'm for it.

The structured city thing has been done on the Reddit servers, and it's always awesome. There was an iteration of that server where someone built a super elaborate university building that was basically a gallery of style guides for a city district. The whole area was pre-built-out with city streets and plots, the way you did above, and then they went further by limiting building materials and having stuff like a gallery of suggested window treatments, etc.

I'm for it.

Same, I'm for it too. By the way, nice change to the forums!

Where can I find this 'Windows95 City'?

EDIT: Found it on the map. West of spawn.

The "city" ive built so far is just conceptual, and for all intents and purposes isnt meant to be built on. I built it on water because I wanted a flat surface and not have to dig and level something. It also provides a small amount of creep spawns. If we can just decide a location I can start laying down an infrastructure toot sweet. I'll make an overhead map and asign each plot a unique identifier to make it easy to see what plots are taken and making claiming plots a bit easier. Image will be up a bit later.

UPDATE:

ThumbsTownOverhead.png

Plot 55,56, 65 and 66 are reserved as the spawn location and could features such magic things as a park, fountain or anything the commuity can come up with. I have yet to call dibs on a location and will wait 12 hours to make it more fair for everyone else. You might ask yourself, "gee, why doesnt it start at 1,1?" and that is a valid question. I've buffered upp some space to make it easier to expand either north, south, east or west without having to enter the negative euclidian space which can be troublesome to understand for some people.

I've also found a possible location for the new town and will present why I think its a good candidate:

ThumbsTownNewLocationQuestionMark.png

Its in unexplored space, meaning there are natural trees, gemoetries and useful resources in the ground. It is a bit away from the original spawn but a warp point could surely be set up that goes to the Tree of Life. It might be in the middle of the sea and a new location would therefore have to be chosen but the same search criteria would still apply.

Also, if you draw a line from it, to current spawn, you'll go almost directly through the stronghold.

How big are those plots? Are we talking skyscrapers here?

I really want to try something with perspective involved, but diablo and all that.

How big are those plots? Are we talking skyscrapers here?

I really want to try something with perspective involved, but diablo and all that.

They are 13 by 13 and we havent set a height limit yet. The sky is the limit I suppose?