MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

That is to be expected. It's like giving kids unlimited candy. At first they think it's the best day of their lives, and about an hour later they don't ever want to touch the stuff again.

I disagree. I don't even care about the unlimited resources, I just liked not having to light the crap out of everything I build.

Is there a mod that allows you to un-mob an area? For example, fence it and light it up, and then the next day within that area mobs will never span again? I think that would be the best. Or maybe using anti-mob torches that do not emit light.

I didn't enjoy creative mode, I really prefer survival. But I don't like the requirement for lighting up the whole place. It's fun being able to play with light. But I rather light up the place than go creative.

See my post and Dr waffles': There is a mod that gives you the best of both worlds. Creative and survival on the same server. Just walk into the right quadrant and you're set.

I disagree. I don't even care about the unlimited resources, I just liked not having to light the crap out of everything I build.

The funny part is that when the game is picking a direction to move a mob, it (allegedly) favours (by a small percentage) moving towards lit areas. A simple way the game promotes player/mob interaction. Sure the light keeps mobs from spawning there, but it also ends up slowly luring in the ones that spawn nearby.

Light isn't your only weapon against mob spawns. My favourite is halfslabs, mobs can't spawn on those, and they come in an array of attractive colours. If you like grass/dirt/sand put fence blocks under your grass blocks, on top of preventing mob spawns, this used to also prevent damage to crops (but that doesn't work anymore, so I'd have to test this again for mob spawns).

Nothing new past this point, but here goes anyhow...

- If it's creeper craters in your front lawn that frustrates you, then there is a server mods that disable creeper block damage, while maintaining the always exciting player damage.

- If it's the post-nerf enderman block relocation program. They are just doing their jobs, but if that's still an issue, then there are mods which add all block types to their already extensive do-not-pick-up list. Dirt hut dwellers rejoice.

- As for zombies, skeletons, and spiders... They don't do any property damage, so I don't see any issue here. Life's hard, craft a helmet.

Actually, if you could turn off creeper and enderman terrain damage, that'd be pretty nice.

Safe havens would be good, if someone wanted to stake out an area and say that mobs aren't welcome. Is there a mod that handles it that way instead of in large quadrants?

I think our server where we had mobs might have been the best one. It might be unrelated, but forcing us to think more carefully about our builds was a fun challenge.

This german server blows my mind with what they do without mods or creative mode:

Wow that was an awesome video.

The thing about survival is that it lends to more consolidated communities - and I'm all about higher building density instead of being spread out over continents.

FYI: I'm looking into setting up a cubedhost account, once they have servers available.

This german server blows my mind with what they do without mods or creative mode:

Their storage method reminds me of something that would be in a Stephen Moffat episode of Doctor Who. Just a thousand yard hallway that ends in fog and darkness.

FYI: I'm looking into setting up a cubedhost account, once they have servers available.

America!

Used to chip for a Fragnet.net server (based in Chicago) I shared with some co-workers. We had some lag develop after a month or so. Sent them an e-mail about it. Took them one day to respond, and relocate us to different hardware. They apologized, and explained that another server on the previous hardware had gone public and was eating up bandwidth. Long story short, good service, would use them again. :tup:

I actually heard about it through bdouble0100. I think there is a 5% discount if you want to put that on top if you use the promo code "BdoubleO100".

I would have some interest in playing again. I have practically no interest in building amazing things, but digging super elaborate underground bases is always fun to me.

By the last epoch I was totally burned out but I think I'm ready to play again. Probably not Creative though.

Cool. I might join occasionally, but I'm also not very interested in elaborate buildings and don't have much time.

damnit... I'm out of the country this weekend. So I'll miss the grand opening.

How about the next world we build, we do a proper SMP—with a caveat that we try to build as densely as possible. All the rad stuff that we wanna build goes in, but right around the hub. We mine and set up communal chests and public works, but with the concentration of a fine filigree through the world, like a proper city. As it starts to feel constrained, we can spread out as needed, make little similarly dense outposts in other places—and connect the two with roads or a train or something like that. It would be rad if each outpost gets to be self-contained, with food sources and own excavation systems and mob proofing and the like. Another neat thing would be to put the spawn point inside the communal chest area.

Waddayasay? 1.9? :yep:

HEEENGH? HEEEEEEENGH??? :yep: :yep: :yep:

Ultimately tho, I dunno how much I can commit to playing, but if we can make a world like this, I will most def try my darnest to participate.

Ultimately tho, I dunno how much I can commit to playing, but if we can make a world like this, I will most def try my darnest to participate.

I'd be up for trying this, if people are into it being a thing we do. In Minecraft.

Yes yes yes.

Maybe have each person claim a decent sized plot of land that they won't feel TOO constrained by, but is adjacent, or enough-space-for-a-walkway away. 20x20? 40x40?

Server's up and running, but I still need to set up some plugins to make sure permissions and stuff are working. That won't happen 'til I get home from work tonight, though.

F yeah! I'm game! How's the server coming along, Tabacco?

It's been 30 minutes ¬¬

(I won't be home for a few hours, sorry)

My current plan is to just install Essentials to handle permissions and admin stuff, but otherwise to run the server as close to vanilla as possible. Also I'll probably throw maps back on there, though I have no idea how they'll perform on a shared server like this.