MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

Might I suggest a Technic server if we do this again?

Actually running the server was never the problem. I never found Bukkit all that hard to manage.

No no no. Technic is a modpack.

http://www.technicpack.net/

It brings in things like quarries and various industrial things, and one of the various packs brings in a nuclear reactor which can operate a ton of various things that produce economy chains. It's like setting up something like Stronghold or the old Caeser games, where you set up chains of goods to create a final product, in this case diamonds.

It also has various quality of life things like cutting a trunk will break all the wood above and around it.

It also comes with Wedge, a relatively recent terrain generator mod.

P5B5JzOxnQ4

Well if there isn't enough demand then the best option is to invade a random public server. Though finding a server that would tolerate an 60x250meter 'Congrats Nick' sign floating above spawn might be difficult.

EDIT: Terrain generators are lots of fun... especially the totally broken ones which generate bat shit crazy terrain. But do they work in SMP?

Well if there isn't enough demand then the best option is to invade a random public server. Though finding a server that would tolerate an 60x250meter 'Congrats Nick' sign floating above spawn might be difficult.

EDIT: Terrain generators are lots of fun... especially the totally broken ones which generate bat shit crazy terrain. But do they work in SMP?

You can imply a seed in the world.txt file, but I'm not sure about that.

You are Minecraft.

f4d88gPbmSo

According to their site over 27,300 avatars have been done.

I built mine already a few days ago... somewhere on row 68.

If you want to make yours its easy.

Just watch this short instructional video.

m293M2K12-g

or go to their site YouAreMinecraft.com

I'm in doubt. First of all, I prefer to be creative in survival rather than survive in creative. But most of all, I don't know if I want to invest the time. SP sure can't captivate my interest.

There are mods that allow you to have creative and survival on the same server. On the same map actually. Each quadrant of the map has it's own setting: creative with monsters, creative without, survival with monsters and survival without. That way you can have the best of both worlds :)

That's price per month, right? If so, that's really affordable!

I ask because I can't actually see any qualifiers on that "price" row of the table, and those prices are low enough that it would actually be somewhat competitive with other pricing models I've seen even if it were weekly.

I checked elsewhere and it's indeed per month. A good deal.

We're talking about bringing back idlemc as a formally funded thing but all real Idle Thumbs Logistics are still being worked out.

We're talking about bringing back idlemc as a formally funded thing but all real Idle Thumbs Logistics are still being worked out.

That would be awesome! Then I'd finally be able to get in on the Thumb epoch madness!

Survival please.

Survival please.

This debate is part of what killed the server the first time. The worst part was when it devolved into a philosophical discussion between people who weren't even really actively playing.

(That said, for what its worth, my preference is also a Survival server, but I know there are many for whom that is unappealing.

I still wish there were somehow huge meta-biomes where parts of the map would spawn mobs and other parts wouldn't, so we could have a survival spawn and a creative spawn, which were linked by roads and transportation systems but by and large had their own gameplay properties.)

The worst part was when it devolved into a philosophical discussion between people who weren't even really actively playing.

I probably did this.

I have been itching to jump back on the minecraft wagon. Reviving thel idlemc server would be a wonderful thing.

I'm assuming Jake, Chris and Sean, et al. are spending their days/evenings brainstorming the new site, and what to put on there. It must be super-fun and exhausting. Or just super-fun.

This debate is part of what killed the server the first time. The worst part was when it devolved into a philosophical discussion between people who weren't even really actively playing.

Putting a player into creative mode doesn't require any mods. I was given moderator status on a vanilla server, this gave me access to server commands give item/day/night/rain/creative/survival to help moderate the server. Though having creatives flying around in a survival world is a bit messed up in my opinion, but if that's the price we must pay then so be it. I'll show those god-like creatives that an unsullied mortal can still out build them.

Last summer I found myself virtually homeless (server I played on shut down), while touring for a new server I ended up on a big server where there were multiple (nether-like) portals at spawn, each lead to a different world (creative, survival, nether, skyland, & versions for VIP/donors of each - crazy). This was a huge server with over 100+ users playing simultaneously. I expect this type of set-up would be taxing, and require much more muscle in the server department, they are essentially hosting 8 worlds simultaneously (instead of the usual 2.. overworld & nether). Though building in the skylands was a fun, the chat spam, and lag was to much in the end.

Maybe a server mod like this would be a solution you are looking for... host both together. One problem, on the server I visited chat was limited to the current world only, I don't know if this was to reduce chat spam (which was substantial even with the split), or a limitation of the mod. In the end the only advantage of this set-up is that is allows players to portal from world to world, instead of logging in, and out of different servers.

Also.. OMGOMGOMG Jake Rodkin replied to one of my posts!! *squeal*

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by AteBit

It's not so much a technical problem of having both at the same time, but having creative access somewhat ruins the survival. We talked a lot about having both in the same world, with self imposed rules, or mods to restrict access to creative mode. I'm not sure it can work without a larger community to essentially support 2 full servers.

The creative mode was nice for a while, but I think people burned out from it fairly quick. Almost everyone interested in playing in creative ended up saying that they'd be interested in survival. And almost everyone that preferred survival seemed to say they'd only play if it wasn't creative. There's no guarantee that those people would play at all, but it seemed like we had a better chance pleasing more people with survival.

I've converted to the full survival side. When you look at what people like Docm77, Etho and the Mindcrack guys can do without access to creative, it seems like their builds are much more meaningful. You start building mob harvesters and XP farms with a purpose.

tumblr_ljc75cxBXm1qelcgto1_500.jpg

I'm with Forbin. I actually gave creative a go and made the wacky modernist museum house in the grassy plane south of spawn inspired by this library Steve posted on rekall… but it seemed like it would've been more fun if I were cheating in survival rather than doing full creative. That at least gives you the option—if you want it—of having to protect from zombies and do something with an actual effect on the world rather than adding a thin layer of frosting on some inert, randomly-generated nature.

Edited by Kingzjester
Typo.

I still wish there were somehow huge meta-biomes where parts of the map would spawn mobs and other parts wouldn't, so we could have a survival spawn and a creative spawn, which were linked by roads and transportation systems but by and large had their own gameplay properties.)

Some dude on Shacknews wrote a plugin for one of the community servers (although for CanaryMod, not Bukkit) that split the world into four "quadrants." One quadrant had mobs and PvP disabled that automatically switched players into creative mode upon entering. The other three quadrants had different combinations of mobs/no mobs and pvp/no pvp in survival mode.

Something like this might already exist for Bukkit, but I haven't come across anything yet.

The creative mode was nice for a while, but I think people burned out from it fairly quick.

That is to be expected. It's like giving kids unlimited candy. At first they think it's the best day of their lives, and about an hour later they don't ever want to touch the stuff again.

I came in at the end of third epoch and played for a bit of the 4th. What pulled me away from the server was the Middle Earth project. I've also been renting my own server but its been vacant and I can't get my friends back into the game so I'll likely cancel it soon.