MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

C'mon the server is dead, it will be cooler this way. I've been on a bunch and peeking at the map at random times when I felt like logging in and dropping some blocks, but hardly anyone has been on in a week or so. We need a common goal to get us all excited about building.

How's this for a compromise: I'll set you up with a cache of diamond tools and all the blocks that you desire, the finest contraband that fell off the back of the admin-powers truck, and you can do your building with only the slightest of inconveniences of living in a SMP world? You can even build whatever it is you desire however you want to build it if you don't care for the density constraint—we can just build around your stuff. :D

I'm desperately sorry you don't get anything out of creative, but I will not be building anything bigger than a hut if we go back.

I felt like shit last night, so that was a terrible post. Let me clarify.

I like building giant projects. (In between the monotonous parts.) Doing things like those Star Destroyers, or the winter wonderland (once I get back to it, been busy) would be completely impossible without creative. Or at least, would take an even larger amount of time then they already do.

Basically what I'm saying is I love the idea, Kingz, but I wouldn't get much use out of it.

Guys, the end of this linode billing cycle (10/30) is going to be the end of the server. It's also the 1-year anniversary of the server, which seems like a fitting time to end it.

The out-of-pocket cost of running the server doesn't really seem like a good use of my money anymore, and we seem to be at the point where there are far more people giving opinions about how the server should be run than there are people actually using the server. And for those who say 1.9 will get people interested again, that's exactly what everyone said about 1.8. And it did, for about a week. I really just can't justify paying $60/month anymore for a server that nobody (myself included, most of the time) is using.

I'll make the zips of the previous worlds available on idlethumbs.net after the shutdown. Alternatively, if someone else would like to take over operation of the server, I'm happy to rsync the data wherever you like and show you how to get set up and running.

For myself, I'll probably use the reddit creative server at c.nerd.nu for my future minecrafting needs.

Thanks for running it Tabacco :tup:

I only used it at the beginning in the very first world, but it's been excellent to see the stuff everyone has built.

Did somebody say redstone? Let me at it!

It seems like poor form to follow this up in-thread after server shutdown was just announced, but I don't have PMs 'cause of post count so what the heck.

I have a big ol' hollow crocodiloid cyclops statue at the border of the pseudomayan village I've been building near the big LOTR-esque channel-watching statues.

I want a switch outside it, hidden (poorly) in its foot, and a switch inside it, and I want both of these switches to be able to toggle on-and-off:

-A piston in the crocodile's mouth to extend and block the water flopping out of its throat.

-Two pistons in its mouth to retract and open up the path inside it.

The pistons, the switches, and some basic wiring that I've rendered into a hideous bloody mangled mess are lying around. So far I've managed to rig it so that one switch opens the doors and changes the water and the other does jack half the time and just the water the other half.

I now know that I hate electrical engineering. Knowing things about yourself is fun!

We had a great, nay... excellent run.

But as I mentioned earlier, I'm bored in the current unlimited resources creative mode. Maybe if we'd switch to the concept outlined by Kingz I'd might chip in to keep the server alive. But that's a maybe. Specially with the upcoming list of games (like Arkham city, Skyrim, ...) there's a fair chance I won't even find the time to play minecraft.

I want a switch outside it, hidden (poorly) in its foot, and a switch inside it, and I want both of these switches to be able to toggle on-and-off:

-A piston in the crocodile's mouth to extend and block the water flopping out of its throat.

-Two pistons in its mouth to retract and open up the path inside it.

Hopefully the arrangement I put in place is to your liking.

Hopefully the arrangement I put in place is to your liking.

You are a gentlemen and an entire scholastic institute.

EDIT: I decided to leave some sort of record of some of the crud in the village, then realized I'd hit 30 screenshots. So I'm just linking to the album proper here. I didn't get anything from inside the pyramid, mostly because it's such a damned maze now.

http://s810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/drakyn0/Minecraft/PseudoMayan%20Minecraft/?start=0

Edited by Draarthros
MANY PICS

Guys, the end of this linode billing cycle (10/30) is going to be the end of the server. It's also the 1-year anniversary of the server, which seems like a fitting time to end it.

I only popped online a few times but it was definitely very cool. Cheers for hosting!

Yeah it's a shame, but clearly not getting enough use. I wouldn't mind jumping into some team survival, we maybe can all go mooch off an existing survival server. Reddit's servers seem to be massive, but maybe too much so.

The current free-form mode is no SMP so saying that since 1.8 didn't get people out, 1.9 is also going to be a waste is a bit of a false comparison with a data set of 1.

All that is fine and dandy for me to say since I am not hemorrhaging $60/month on this. So let's murder this world and invade some other nice server.

Post leads for THUMB DIASPORA servers here!

• It would be nice if it were a smallish, friendly server with cool people. People who would, for example, be open to building with a plan, e.g. a network of dense cities as opposed to random shit in the countryside.
  • They would also have to let us put up a Congrats Nick sign, seeing how that is a tradition of our tribe. :chaste:

A THOUGHT ON THE FUTURE OF IDLEMC: It would be a good idea to build a widget that keeps a tally of the server's finances and plasters it in the welcome message. Something like WE NEED $X BEFORE DATE OR THE SERVER GETS IT or SERVER IS PAID FOR UNTIL DATE, <some sort of message about when it would be timely to start donating again so that we don't fall off the wagon>—so that we can at least break even and keep people informed about the financial standing of the server.

The widget can be connected to a simple PayPal (or Stripe) store in which we can set up several support options as weekly/monthly memberships, or single-time donations where people using the server can chose a support level that works for their purse.

Waddayasay, Doug? Would you be up for helping set this up—being the only person here with hands-on experience running an MC server? I would gladly program this donation widget at some point between now and then. It would be worth investing the time if we can get some pledges of support lined up for at least three months of runtime in advance.

That sounds reasonable, no? Would people be up for it? This way there is no onus on the likes of Doug to keep paying for a server that no one cares about. When the money runs out, the server dies. We can release the widget to other people running MC servers elsewhere, start a small open source project, update it while we care to then hand it off when we no longer do.

I've built a bit of a farewell contraption, it'll only run once so it'll be something of an event. Don't know when we want to do it, but obviously it'll have to be soon.

The machine is at x:842 z:-464 or here. Please don't mess with it.

You're gonna be up at 3am to do this? Tasmania looks like an overjoyed smiley face :D on that map.

You're gonna be up at 3am to do this? Tasmania looks like an overjoyed smiley face :D on that map.

Yep!

Tas-mania.jpg

m.gamblinglambs.com:29265 has been a bit neglected too. Rossaluss operates it with a whitelist. Not sure how robust it would be, because I don't think it's a $60 a month server.

Thanks Forbizzle and ThunderPeel2001 for rocking up, the machine worked perfectly. Sadly, nobody recorded it, but that's what you get for not being there. :mock:

i forget the first part, but it ended with

K

C

I

N

K

C

U

F

*boom*

Also, since most people are probably going to be pretty busy over the next few months, what do you guys think about joining a survival server after the holidays?

The first part said

E

Y

B

Also: Shame on you all for being human with your forgetfulness and having other things to do.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Hey guys, the game server is now offline, and I'll be removing the server VM soon, once I've finished making backups. I'll try to get all the epoch zips up on idlethumbs.net by tonight.