MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

The consensus seems to be very positive about this server. I'm thinking we should keep it until 1.8 and reevaulate then.

Hooray for pistons! Boo for having to learn how to use redstone/repeaters.

If 1.8 is really coming sometime after November, we might even reroll once again between now and then. In th epast we've only gone about two months per world. This last one only lasted so long because nobody noticed (or at least I didn't) that it had been so long. No point doing a new roll for just pistons, though :)

Yeesh, it was me. Just trying to be helpful, sorry. I meant to put your sign back, and I guess I forgot :(

:hmph:

You've ruined all my hard work, Doug!

I'm joking, and I apologize for being so :( about it. I just woke up and logged in and went "Why is this liiiiii. . .oh" so that wasn't posted at a time when my faculties were on full bore.

Again, sorry for lashing out at you. D:

never mind... just got kicked from the server for a short while

Looking into it. Remember, for technical issues you'll probably get a quicker response by PMing me.

Server was swapping big-time. I just restarted the server and it cleared up. This has been happening ever since 1.6.x - I think there're still memory leaks in there :(

Aesthetic request for this server, to consider:

The look of the area around the spawn is really awesome. The way it's forested and the little bits of snow and desert around are some of the most aesthetically pleasing we've had near a spawn point.

Beccause of that, what do you guys say to limiting development at the spawn, to keeping it pretty natural and undeveloped out to the edge of at least the default draw distance? Also, I think it would be cool if we built fewer overt roads leading out. We have ones going in the basic cardinal directions at this point, which is great. Beyond that, though, I think if we curtail overt development we can have a spawn point which promotes exploring out into the woods, which would be worth considering since there are no mobs this time. My favorite times in Minecraft are breaking off the trail, wandering through the woods or mountains, and coming across something amazing, and the geography of the current server is already naturally really supporting that, so actively promoting that seems worth considering.

The look of the area around the spawn is really awesome. The way it's forested and the little bits of snow and desert around are some of the most aesthetically pleasing we've had near a spawn point.

Beccause of that, what do you guys say to limiting development at the spawn, to keeping it pretty natural and undeveloped out to the edge of at least the default draw distance?

100% behind this

there's also no real reason for people to not stake out remote locations now anyway, between working rails and nether gates

also to this extent i'd like to reconsider the idea of creating the train station underneath spawn. you can carry the track out for a ways underground and then have it come up above ground at the outskirts of spawn (like DC's metro does once you leave the city)

I just checked out the server for the first time and my, that depot is glorious! The screenshots do not do it justice.

Could I get added to the build list? I'm heylauren in game. I promise not to be a dick!

If 1.8 is really coming sometime after November, we might even reroll once again between now and then. In th epast we've only gone about two months per world. This last one only lasted so long because nobody noticed (or at least I didn't) that it had been so long. No point doing a new roll for just pistons, though :)

Well it doesn't sound like 1.8 is going to be coming out after the game 'releases', but more like a month or so.

Beccause of that, what do you guys say to limiting development at the spawn, to keeping it pretty natural and undeveloped out to the edge of at least the default draw distance? Also, I think it would be cool if we built fewer overt roads leading out. We have ones going in the basic cardinal directions at this point, which is great. Beyond that, though, I think if we curtail overt development we can have a spawn point which promotes exploring out into the woods, which would be worth considering since there are no mobs this time. My favorite times in Minecraft are breaking off the trail, wandering through the woods or mountains, and coming across something amazing, and the geography of the current server is already naturally really supporting that, so actively promoting that seems worth considering.

I prefer denser constructions, but ok, I'd be fine with this. The issue is...

also to this extent i'd like to reconsider the idea of creating the train station underneath spawn. you can carry the track out for a ways underground and then have it come up above ground at the outskirts of spawn (like DC's metro does once you leave the city)

...my original plan was to have the train station under the CC, but then we decided to have the tracks be airborne like around New Haven. That's what the 3rd floor is for. There is kind of a basement to it, but it's full of lightstone to light the main floor.

I'll go ahead and tear up my road that I built to the plaza (I don't even really like it anyway) and, unless there are any objections, I think I'm going to cover that hole there too.

Oh, I misread and thought he was saying 1.8 was coming in November, but you're right, he was talking about the 'final' release.

Btw, I disabled rendering map tiles on chunkload, which should save some cpu/memory. It also means new chunks won't get mapped if you wander out into the wilderness unless you change a block in them. There's a new version out with a chunkgenerate event trigger that should be much more efficient, and I'll install that tonight. Plus, it supports biomes :)

Are there any sign plugins for Dynamap? It's hard trying to find a new place to build when I'm not sure if the torches are just signs of exploration or of settlement.

Not sure if you've seen this Tabacco, but Tectonicus http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tectonicusis a kind of cool looking mapper. it's standalone so it shouldn't interfere with anything (theorhetically?). I'm not advocating it, just bringing it to your attention.

Example

Edited by Squid Division

Hey Tabacco, thanks again for build rights.

Could you give me permission to spawn please?

I prefer denser constructions, but ok, I'd be fine with this. The issue is...

It's not necessary! I thought it was worth proposing briefly because this is (allegedly) a transitional server, and it would be something new to try. I'm fine with the dense madness too if it's what folks want.

I'm less invested in this server than many others, so Im just proposing stuff I might like, but I have no super strong feelings beyond liking all the unique stuff people make.

One thing that could be done is to send all train liens out of the back of the spawn. Dunno if that would be weird. It would fit aesthetically with the crazily organized spawn building though.

Edited by Jake

Are there any sign plugins for Dynamap? It's hard trying to find a new place to build when I'm not sure if the torches are just signs of exploration or of settlement.

Not sure if you've seen this Tabacco, but Tectonicus http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tectonicusis a kind of cool looking mapper. it's standalone so it shouldn't interfere with anything (theorhetically?). I'm not advocating it, just bringing it to your attention.

Example

Nice looking output, but it requires X. Dynmap is actually pretty efficient, it's just that when there are a lot of people online, rendering on chunkload causes a lot of tiles to get re-rendered unnecessarily. The reason we originally moved away from a standalone mapping tool was that the memory cost of doing the whole map at once every night was exceeding the amount of memory in the machine and causing it to swap to disk, which made the game itself unplayable. Rendering individual tiles on-demand spreads the load out much more effectively.

One thing that could be done is to send all train liens out of the back of the spawn. Dunno if that would be weird. It would fit aesthetically with the crazily organized spawn building though.

I tried this out upstairs and I like the results. I thought Thompson's lighting up there was pretty awesome so I tried to build a very vertically-low, shallow train station to maintain as much of it as I could. If you guys hate it we can revert it.

From the color schemes file:

Dark Green  - Rainforest	 	
Brown       - Swampland		
Light Green - Seasonal Forest	
Light Gray  - Forest		 	
Dark Gray   - Savanna		 	
Yellow      - Shrubland		
Cyan        - Taiga			
Orange      - Desert		 	
Magenta     - Plains		 	
Blue        - Ice Desert	 	
White       - Tundra		 	
Pink        - Hell			

I tried this out upstairs and I like the results. I thought Thompson's lighting up there was pretty awesome so I tried to build a very vertically-low, shallow train station to maintain as much of it as I could. If you guys hate it we can revert it.

I like it. My only suggestions are that we color-code the lines and name/order them (from left to right) West, North, East, South.

The least tacky way of color coding them was replacing one of the lights in Thompson's fixture with some wool, and shortening it up a bit so you some headroom. I did one up as an example to see how people like it.

Three quick notes:

1. tabacco, whatever you did to the server is awesome, my lag is way better now.

2. I like the color coding idea, Squid's wool code on the lights looks good.

3. It might be a good idea to steal an idea from the Tokyo metro system: They color code each line and put the correlating color on all the signs and the paint lines on the floor at stations to help you get to the right line. That could come in very handy if we get more complex metro stations in the future. For instance: The Chūō line is always color coded red, so if you ever want to ride that line you just look for red and go there, it's great.

Can you lay track over wool blocks? That would be an interesting way to do the coding when they're out in the wild. Might look ugly, might work

Can you lay track over wool blocks? That would be an interesting way to do the coding when they're out in the wild. Might look ugly, might work

Tested, yep.

post-3150-13375603410773_thumb.png

I've run into a snag in the Ocampa construction, so I'm taking a break from that today to find a nice big forest and create a giant Ewok/Lothlorien-like thing. Construction will resume on my cave when I figure out how to do this without screwing it up/causing an extra 20 hours of work for myself.