MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

supposedly Essentials is updated now

http://earth2me.net:8002/viewLog.html?buildId=1693&buildTypeId=bt2&tab=artifacts

looking at this stuff, frankly I'm amazed this game/these plugins even work as well as they do. but that's why i'm not an expert

They have dev builds, but they're still actively committing bugfixes on the 2.3 branch. Essentials is deep enough to cause some harm if it's broken, which is why I'm waiting for them to tag a stable build.

Edit: There we go, they've tagged 2.3.1 as stable. I'll update when I get home later tonight.

Edited by tabacco

Upgrading now... server will be down for a little bit.

Edit: Okay, I think we're good to go. Let me know if you see any issues.

I was able to copy the existing nether back over the one 1.6 generated, and it seems to be working fine.

Edited by tabacco

Trapdoors EVERYWHERE. Doors? Pfft no, use trapdoor. Window? Pfft no, use trapdoor...

Also, the map update is nothing major, but all the little things are really nice.

The biggest update to the map is that is now re-renders tiles onchunkload in addition to onblockcreate/destroy. That means as you move around the world it'll always be rendering a swath of tiles around you. Should help avoid weird islands of mapped area.

Chunk loading seems markedly slower in this version, I've noticed.

the distant ones seemed to be pretty slow but i've had minimal trouble with trains and portals. did you mess with the fps limiter/ "performance" settings?

i'm also very impressed that it let you copy the nether over and that it still works. if I was a betting man, I'd be broke

the distant ones seemed to be pretty slow but i've had minimal trouble with trains and portals. did you mess with the fps limiter/ "performance" settings?

i'm also very impressed that it let you copy the nether over and that it still works. if I was a betting man, I'd be broke

I left it at 'balanced'. What I'm noticing is that individual chunks will sometimes take a few seconds to load, often very nearby. Like, I'll use /spawn, and there'll just be a 16x16 hole in the landscape that eventually pops into place after 5 seconds.

I think Essentials originally implemented the nether by doing the same thing the client was, because the file structure was identical. What I thought was going ot break was the mapping between nether and client portals. Or who knows what else. Basically in the end the only work I had to do was to rename the existing nether directory ('nether') to the new one ('thumbs_nether') and it worked.

Hey, what's up with the central station near spawn? I have a track I want to hook up and just wondering if anybody has a plan/pattern as to how to add more tracks.

I'd like to use a spiral track along the outside of the tower for all incoming traffic, and an individual drop shaft on the inside for outgoing. But if anybody has a better plan or rejects for any reason, it's fine, I'll find another way.

I just added tracks where I felts like it. Btw, avoid the side of the tower near spawn, it's complicated to build there.

I just added tracks where I felts like it. Btw, avoid the side of the tower near spawn, it's complicated to build there.

Yeah, I was gonna add the drop shaft on the same level as your stations. And have the arrival track stop either a floor below or above that.

Forgot about spawn protect! I'll have to think of a different way then.

we do need to create some proper stairs in that building. The ladder isn't a good method of transportation.

Spiral tracks are pretty unpleasant to ride, unless I'm misinterpreting.

Spiral tracks are pretty unpleasant to ride, unless I'm misinterpreting.

Do you mean a 2x2 or 3x3 spiral? This building is pretty wide, so I thought it would be more of a gentle slope.

If you take a ride on the tracks, please clean up your cart.

New version of Essentials just helpfully overwrote my old config file. I think I've got it back how it was, but please let me know if you're seeing any weird permissions issues.