MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

i don't buy the reason why pistons aren't in yet- saying they're trying to work out bugs. i don't care! it seems like they work pretty well already. if they don't crash the game, that's good enough for me.

The guy working on integrating pistons (Jens?) got moved to 'another project' so they won't be worked on until (if?) he comes back. The sooner the mod code access comes though, the sooner it won't matter. Can you implement a mod on a server level, like a plugin?

i don't buy the reason why pistons aren't in yet- saying they're trying to work out bugs. i don't care! it seems like they work pretty well already. if they don't crash the game, that's good enough for me.

If only Notch had more money, then he could pay developers to iron out the bugs more quickly. Poor, poor Notch.

The guy working on integrating pistons (Jens?) got moved to 'another project' so they won't be worked on until (if?) he comes back. The sooner the mod code access comes though, the sooner it won't matter. Can you implement a mod on a server level, like a plugin?

god i hope so.

I mean I know there are probably plenty of things going on behind the scenes that plebes like us wouldn't understand, but the lackadaisical approach to doing anything kind of stopped being a viable strategy once they quit their day jobs and formed a company. it's like "thanks for funding some other projects we wanted to do, we might finish the thing you actually payed for at some point down the road."

if the mod stuff IS also server-side, I won't have much to complain about anymore

I'm going to say you probably couldn't do pistons server-side because adding a new block requires that the client software know about it.

Speaking of maps... Is anyone else unable to get anything but the flat view to work on the interactive map?

Yeah it seems to have broken but I'm not sure why as there's no error output. I'm guessing it's some change Craftbukkit b377 that broke things.

Especially since the server has a dynamic map now, there's virtually zero use for us. If it scrolled with the user (ie was centered on the player) then it'd be very useful for navigating to unvisited areas.

I like the idea of burying treasure somewhere, and leaving a map of a certain area that shows how to reach the next map piece and so on. But yeah, Dynmap is much more helpful as a navigation tool.

Anyone thought any more about the spawn changes I proposed? Specifically:

• Knock down the unused wheat farm just to the west of spawn and build a big skyscraper-Grand Central Station thing.
  • Knock down the tree in front of spawn and expand the area into a plaza and build a proper, large, aesthetic community chest.

anvil pointed out that the problem with the drop-cart system is how you get them back up. I was thinking that maybe we could have a large central cylinder that the track goes around on the inside that all incoming lines feed into.

i already knocked down as much of the wheat field as I could (spawn protected). actually to even build in that area we're going to need an admin because one of the corners is off limits.

also nobody really gave any ideas on design. the dropdown idea is cool but maybe impractical. regardless, i'd be willing to work on a skyscraper and we could figure things out from there.

except i have the flu and a fever. when i feel good enough to get out of bed i can start working on it.

Anyone thought any more about the spawn changes I proposed? Specifically:

• Knock down the unused wheat farm just to the west of spawn and build a big skyscraper-Grand Central Station thing.
  • Knock down the tree in front of spawn and expand the area into a plaza and build a proper, large, aesthetic community chest.

anvil pointed out that the problem with the drop-cart system is how you get them back up. I was thinking that maybe we could have a large central cylinder that the track goes around on the inside that all incoming lines feed into.

I guess the problem would be how to signal when to branch off from the main track while moving in a cart. Hitting a switch is fine, if you know which stop you want and are paying attention. Hitting a switch before you go down the tower would be easier, but require a mass of messy wiring. But maybe someone has found a way around this?

My idea was to have the building shaped like a cylinder with thick walls and a hollow center. To leave the station you'd use the drop launch that anvil and I came up with, it only takes up 2 squares so you could keep it within the walls. To return to the station I was thinking that there'd just be a track around the outside edge of the inner, hollow cylinder. The launch would only go down and the screw track would only go up. There'd be no switches because you'd pick your destination to leave, and each return line feeds into it automatically, removing the need for player interaction.

Am I to understand that you're knocking down the COMMUNAL BREAD GARDEN? That was my only contribution to the current server... ;(

My idea was to have the building shaped like a cylinder with thick walls and a hollow center. To leave the station you'd use the drop launch that anvil and I came up with, it only takes up 2 squares so you could keep it within the walls. To return to the station I was thinking that there'd just be a track around the outside edge of the inner, hollow cylinder. The launch would only go down and the screw track would only go up. There'd be no switches because you'd pick your destination to leave, and each return line feeds into it automatically, removing the need for player interaction.

Ah, I see what you mean by drop track now. Very elegant solution!

The smaller one closer to spawn is mine. :\

I really have no basis for emoness, I haven't logged in since before dye was introduced.

Ah, I see what you mean by drop track now. Very elegant solution!

Agreed, though I do love a ridiculously grand central-style station with multiple platforms.

Map issue should be fixed. dynmap didn't explicitly load a version of the google maps api, so it broke when they updated it.

I feel left out. Finally some major communal construction going on, and I'm 500+ms away from the server :/