MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

I've started building a "monorail" from Tracy Island towards the Roman City.

Where do you want the station? Right now I'm sort of heading towards the middle of the bridge. (I'll be off this week, so feel free to finish it at the Roman City)

Wow. The server is getting seriously impressive. So many cool things to see. My tower is astonishingly lame now, but I can't be bothered to fix it.

Love the water/lava "double helix" thing.

I like the new double track subway to Dust City, but the tunnel is crawling with mobs now. Does this happen because they have more room to spawn?

During my last ride I bumped in on a skeleton, which stopped the cart. I shudder to think about this happening with a creeper. ;(

I like the new double track subway to Dust City, but the tunnel is crawling with mobs now. Does this happen because they have more room to spawn?

During my last ride I bumped in on a skeleton, which stopped the cart. I shudder to think about this happening with a creeper. ;(

Could be... I'll try to put some time into lighting it better tonight.

Yeah, that really is awesome. Who built it?

I did! (Implosiony)

But, to be fair, I saw a smaller version on some other server. So not fully of my own invention.

I did! (Implosiony)

But, to be fair, I saw a smaller version on some other server. So not fully of my own invention.

Well done!

@Jake: You are one scary man. :getmecoat

Basically, I ran to new land that wasn't on the map and found a half-built structure that shouldn't have existed. I entered it, turned around and suddenly Jake was standing behind me asking how I'd gotten there. I was scared.

I wasn't able to get on the server earlier so I was in my single player flat world game where I experiment with all sorts of nonsense.

Anyways, I came up with a brand new station concept that honestly, has made me a little giddy (haven't found any youtube videos/forum posts about my particular design ^_^). All of it makes use of the two new track pieces and is completely free of door or perpetual motion boosters.

Right now it's just a prototype and is mainly showcasing arrival/departure functionality (flashing light for incoming passanger; pez dispenser with overflow rejection and indicator light for full/empty; automated cart return to dispenser and failsafe; etc) . Eventually I'll setup a switching system for up to 16 destinations.

I'm going to try and make a video tonight so show how it works, but I've never attempted such a thing before; does anyone have suggestions for recording software? I've used FRAPS like 5 or 6 years ago for something once I remember but if there's something better please let me know.

that reminds me, i re-did the train from spawn to new haven using powered rails. it's now super reliable and as far as i can tell, just about as fast as the previous version.

as far as making a large central station, that spawn station would be a pretty reasonable location. there's plenty of room to excavate if memory serves, and the kind of launcher i used there takes up practically zero space. the area on the ground literally behind spawn wouldn't be a bad place either.

we should probably just get acclimated to the fact that train travel is somewhat impractical for fast travel and should be used for scenic routes or short trips. the nether network works better for long distance.

I'll happily help work on a central station with others. It might be fun to build it above ground? Even if most of the tracks delve into the earth eventually (or quickly), it could be kind of cool to build the central hub as a spire shooting out of a near-spawn area (versus the old server's subway station type design).

Alternatively (or, in combination with the above), doing a glass arched roof over a lot of platforms like a proper old train station would also be fun.

well squid division and i found out some pretty neat things about carts and powered tracks.

i think the best place for a central station would be to tear out the unused wheat farm near spawn, there's a perfect area there to build a tower.

as for how to make the trains work from there, squid devised a pretty clever track/chute system. i'm not clever enough to try to implement that kind of thing but i'll help build it

this could end up being pretty cool. i'll be on later tonight to putz around if anybody wants to do some planning/building

Anvil and I were brainstorming some spawn-reform. We thought a giant tower to the immediate west of spawn would be a good spot. It's empty and completely flat at the bottom - the entrance would be at spawn-level. We developed a method of dropping carts any distance to a powered track below. This means that we don't have to ramp tracks down from the top of a skyscraper, we can simply drop the cart/rider to ground level/underground level/wherever.

I proposed that the construction be a bit of group effort/art with people adding their own 'style' to the building. With me adding some columns or domes for example.

You can play with our prototype chute in the middle of the walkway in the Roman city.

I personally think the whole spawn area is a little convoluted and not signed very well despite being covered in them. I had an idea of knocking down the tree right in front of spawn and making spawn more of a plaza, with a robust community chest (akin to the one on the first server) to the east (opposite the proposed train station).

My station testing video. It's on a custom map that is completely flat and the other junk in the background are other projects that I was working on at various points hah.

Fun thought: detector rail plus note blocks make a very nice 'train arriving' and 'train departing' signal :)

"Please stand clear of the doors" style.

Kushet, just so you know, if you didn't already, you can put a redstone torch under a powered track and it will still work. However, when you put the track over it, it won't be powered (in my experience) so you need to put a torch next to the track to power it, then knock it down and the track will stay powered from the buried one.

Ya, I'm having the same thing happen w/ having to place/replace the torches. I knew you could stick them under, I just hadn't bothered with the track I showed in the video as I was constantly moving stuff around to test different items out.

Fun thought: detector rail plus note blocks make a very nice 'train arriving' and 'train departing' signal :)

"Please stand clear of the doors" style.

Totally using note blocks to make a midi version of "Whole New World" play along as you go along the track.

Edited by Laxan

Just re-updated to the newest version of CraftBukkit now that they have a recommended build out. Let me know if you see any issues (I suspect you won't)

Last video of trial runs before I finish up and implement this nonsense in the station I'm building on the server.

I'm sure everyone has seen that he's working on maps, but as always, he does something really stupid to hinder whatever feature he's making:

When you craft a map, you will be able to somehow select how “zoomed in” you want the map to be. It will be centered on the location where you craft it, and it will fill in as you explore the land. If you go outside the edges of the map, it will stop updating, so each map is of a specific area. (like real maps!)

because how useful is it then? i'm not going to carry around 6 maps. just like how nobody uses the stupid clock or compass because they're not very useful

Especially since the server has a dynamic map now, there's virtually zero use for us. If it scrolled with the user (ie was centered on the player) then it'd be very useful for navigating to unvisited areas.