MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

so according to the bukkit folks we may be waiting for a bit due to them expecting notch to push a few bugfixes through in the next week or so. fortunately none of the 1.5 additions are life altering so sticking with 1.4 until then is just fine. although i have thought of a few things to do with powered rail lines that aren't riding on them, so i guess there's that.

Ya, I read their blog and forums about delaying 1.5 until the bugs are worked out on Notch's end.

I'm going to post a youtube video sometime tonight/tomorrow morning of doing a bunch of speed testing w/ the new powered rails. they're not too shabby if used correctly.

Nevermind.

For some reason my virus scan updated and decided that minecraft.net was no longer safe.

Aha! Virus scanner proxy FTL :)

The server's updated to 1.5_01! Let me know if you see any problems.

I posted about how I don't like the new Frenden texture pack, but figured it wasn't really relevant to anyone else.

However, after I deleted it, I went ahead and patched together a custom one out of the last version and the new one (and it fixes all of what you didn't like Tobacco, with the only new texture being sandstone[that I've noticed]). Link here

I love the Windwaker look, but I might need to be looking for a new pack as the game/pack gets further updates. What packs are everyone else using?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sdu6mdc3cdbm4a9

that's the pack i use. it's basically bits and pieces i've cobbled together from several packs in the past. i think there's one or two textures in there that i made too. mostly it's faithful to the default but easier on the eyes (smoother sand, dirt, stone, cobblestone, etc). it's up to date for 1.5.

Anybody got a nice workflow for roll your own texture packs. I know how to make one. Its just that every time a new block is added my terrain.png is broken and needs to be replaced.

1. Copy the .jar file to my desktop
  2. Decompress it and pull out the new terrain.png
  3. edit in image editor
  4. place in template folder
  5. compress contents
  6. place in texture pack folder

I guess the thing that really drives me nuts is getting my hands on the updated original terrain.png. Is there a simpler way to grab that?

i open it with winrar and save terrain.png to my desktop. takes like 15 seconds.

after that i open that and my outdated custom terrain.png and copy and paste whatever has been changed. save it, drop it in the custom texture folder, overwriting the last version, and go. it's like 5 minutes tops unless i decide to change any of the new textures.

Yeah. I guess it's not that bad. Its kinda what I'm doing, I just jump in and wipe the cross hatch off the glass. So its not even that involved.

de_dust was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing to walk through.

I had a hard time not crouching behind the wall at A and imagining myself with an awp.

A+ job!

I have to speed up the metro from New Haven, though. I have 4 powered rails every 64 blocks, which is not quite enough. It takes more than 2 minutes to get there! ;(

I have to speed up the metro from New Haven, though. I have 4 powered rails every 64 blocks, which is not quite enough. It takes more than 2 minutes to get there! ;(

Optimal placement is 26 (1 powered rail, 25 normal, repeat), that keeps the cart at max speed (8 meters per second = 8 blocks per second); next best is one every 32 which is 2% slower, then one every 36 which is an additional 8% slower.

Obviously the cart needs to be at maximum speed to be kept at maximum speed by the 26, I haven't seen the figure on how many power tracks you need to hit max speed from a standing start but I always just use 6 for whatever reason.

If you want to know if your cart is actually doing maximum speed just get the distance in meters (or blocks) between the two stations and divide it by 8, the result is how many seconds it should take.

Thanks to detector track you could actually create something far closer to a functioning train station, as a cart comes down the track you could have it trigger torches on the platform so people know that someone is coming. Plus, since power rail can be controlled with switches and works both ways you could actually make a train that goes back and forth between stations. It would need a conductor, though.

Edited by Thompson

1. Good going Thompson, you broke the page.

2. You could always Indian Jones and The Annoying Chinese Kid it. Have the lever in reach of the car-passenger.

(Yes, that's what I call The Temple of Doom. I really hate that that movie exists, especially nestled between Raiders and Last Crusade. How fucking dare you, George Lucas.)

My thunderbirds' inspired house is coming along nicely. It's not an exact replica or something.

i've started building a nether train to it. i've dug out the path and it takes just about a minute to walk the distance. next time i'm on i'll build the terminals and lay the track. i think ultimately it will take 30-45 seconds to travel by train.

the start of the tunnel is roughly between the stargate and mysterious desert gates in the nether, there's a sign

Wonder if minecarts can pass through portals. That would be awesome :)

Wonder if minecarts can pass through portals. That would be awesome :)

you can't put tracks on the inside of a portal. as for maybe launching one into the portal and landing on the other side, i have no idea.

New view of the skyline of the Roman City. New: the 1950s Sci-Fi Rocket and the NEW Thumbs Mausoleum (the old one being my very first building on the first server - the pyramid). Also my villa got reroofed, the wool should soak up all that new rain.

2011-04-25_01.13.15.png