MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

An update on mapping

As some of you may have noticed, the server's been a little laggy recently. The reason for this is that c10t now requires over 1.5GB of RAM to generate each PNG map. Because it's capped at 512MB of memory usage, it has to swap most of its work out to disk. This causes the disk i/o to go through the roof, and also means the map generation takes many hours.

For the time being, I've disabled generation of maps, because I think having a game server that performs well is more important than having daily map archives.

The good news...

Implosiony pointed me at a plugin called dynmap that also uses the Google Maps API, and renders map tiles on-demand when things change in that region of the world. It also shows player positions and chat, and supports flat, isometric, and cave views, as well as supporting the nether. I think it's a good solution, even if it doesn't provide historical archives of that data.

I've update the maps section of www.idlemc.com to point to it, but you can check it directly at http://www.idlemc.com:8000

(Note: The server might be slow for the next hour or so while it does the initial render of the whole world)

Awesome!

Edit: Woah, North moved.

Also, how do I see the cave system? Or the Netherworld?

Compass in the top right shows that it isn't actually oriented north, for some reason. To see the nether and caves scroll to the right of the screen and a little menu should pop out. Don't think it's done mapping though.

Compass in the top right shows that it isn't actually oriented north, for some reason. To see the nether and caves scroll to the right of the screen and a little menu should pop out. Don't think it's done mapping though.

Yeah the compass is broken in the flat map view, and the flat map view of the nether is also broken. Both things are in the "known issues" list for this version unfortunately. Sorry the server's been unavailable for a bit, I'm trying ot just power through and build a whole initial map of at least the core areas.

Just wanted to say Hi :)

I've been playing Minecraft for quite awhile now but pretty much exclusively single player until a friend recently pointed me in your guys direction so I was hoping I'd be able to get permission to build on the server. My in game name is kushet as well.

I might check out some of the other games you folks play as well.

Anyways, that's all.

Buh bye now.

View of the east side of the zeppelin.

20110411181235.png

To get to the observation platform, take the path on the right side of the Motel Hell in the nether.

Based on previous people I've vouched for not being crotchbabboons, could Rosk915 get a whitelist add, Doug? Much obliged.

seriously, that Zeppelin is impressive. What's it built in, smooth stone? Must've taken forever!

Wool and wood with torches for lighting. The conning tower on top isn't built yet (it's an aircraft carrier zeppelin with a flight deck on top).

I decided to jump on the server and see what everyone's been cooking. Two things:

• I've probably said this before, but I really get a Riven sort of feeling by walking around the place. It's this huge landscape people have built their stuff on and in, and there's walkways and tunnels, and wherever you are, you can spot something even more interesting in the far distance.
  • None of the mechanical stuff I passed by worked. There were some carts skipping back and forth, a food dispenser that did nothing and subways that were just empty rails. This might be connected to my next point, which is:
  • Holy mother of God, the lag is terrible! Walking around the place is no problem, but the moment you interact with something – anything – you are pulled headlong into a hellish state of bouncing back and forth through doors ever opening and closing of their own volition.

Anyway, pretty sweet stuff, everyone! Hopefully whatever's the problem will be rectified at some point, so I can experience the awe and mystery of your caves, temples and something that looked like a huge butt.

Been touring around the place and you guys have some massive constructions :x

I haven't really messed around with superstructures; most of my single player games have sprawling complexes, but nothing as visually stunning as some of the stuff I've seen on your server so far. My time is mostly spent messing around with redstone these days.

As anvil and I were lamenting a few days ago, I wish there was more to do with redstone so there were more mechanisms to make. I really want the pistons to be put in ASAP.

That said, I look forward to the achievements for something to toy around with.

Based on previous people I've vouched for not being crotchbabboons, could Rosk915 get a whitelist add, Doug? Much obliged.

Done!

Holy mother of God, the lag is terrible! Walking around the place is no problem, but the moment you interact with something – anything – you are pulled headlong into a hellish state of bouncing back and forth through doors ever opening and closing of their own volition.

What are your ping times to the server like? Can you post a traceroute?

[*]None of the mechanical stuff I passed by worked. There were some carts skipping back and forth, a food dispenser that did nothing and subways that were just empty rails. This might be connected to my next point, which

the subways are BYOCart, you put them at the end, get in, and hit the button

food dispenser works, you just have to wait for the items to float down. i know it's stocked because i checked yesterday and each dispenser was nearly full.

i love superstructures but i'm useless at building anything that isn't simple geometrical shapes. i'm going to have an aneurysm trying to make all my piston ideas work though.

I get bad lag too, can't even destroy blocks because they just reappear.

I assume it's just the fact that i'm in Australia.

post-3150-1337560338145_thumb.jpg

...i'm in Australia.

Why does that traceroute originate in Level3's network in Dallas?

Why does that traceroute originate in Level3's network in Dallas?

That actually does a traceroute from them to the server, woops.

Here's what happened when I tried.

post-3150-13375603381669_thumb.jpg

The server feels laggy to me to, it used to be quite good. Not sure if it's the last update, but it often takes a long while for new segments to appear.