Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Instant Messenger

I just rage-quitted Live Messenger, and wanted an IM client that didn't look like a 1989 legacy application and didn't look like autorun application on the CD that came with a Taiwanese motherboard. I tried Pidgin, which failed in the first department, and Trillian, which failed in the second.

Which, if any, IM clients do you all use, and are you happy with it?

Oh, did I say electronic entertainment distribution platform? What I meant was instant messaging.

When I still actively used Windows I did my instant messaging with Miranda IM. The interface looks pretty crap initially and there aren't many features. There is a lot of room for visual tweaking, though, but it can be very hard and confusing at first because of all the different plugins and settings. There is a huge selection of addons on their webpage that add some functionality and that you can use to make things even more messed up.

Been using miranda for the last years.

Highly customizable, tons of plugins, kinda like the foobar of IMs

I've also tried out raptr lately, which is neat for video games! Integrates steam friends, xbl and the usual AIM/ICQ/MSN/etc.

I have moved over to Raptr for almost everything. It combines video games (I love those things) with IM.

http://raptr.com/

Don't use Raptr as an IM client, it's pretty awful.

I use Steam, Windows Live Messenger and Facebook chat. None are fantastic, but they get the job done.

I'm using digsby myself. And I rather like it.

Holy shit, I fell in love with this instantly. Well, first I hated it because the insidious install program wanted to set up ten kinds of toolbars and adware for me, but when I launched it I fell in love. Not only does it look good – it looks like Live Messenger without all the ads and crap, and it's customizable in all the right ways. Thanks!

Skype.

I used to use MSN and XFire, but I realize now that both of those are horrible, shitty things.

I thought you could reskin Trillian?

I used to use that when I still had a windows box, and you're absolutely right about the default looking like something off a driver CD.

Live Messenger and Skype, for me.

Neither is particularly amazing at what they do, but I use Live Messenger because that's where all my friends are and Skype because that's my voicechat client of choice.

Live Messenger, although less and less these days, and gmail and facebook IMs. I know I know it's terrible, but it's convenient at least and it's where I find most people I need to speak to.

I've used Miranda IM for quite many years, but I have to check out that digsby now.

digsby here as well, for a while now. I just HATE when it alt-tabs me back to windows when I'm gaming.

Actually, after ranting about Trillian's shitty UI yesterday, I got a PM about the beta of the next version, which looked really nice. So I bought that.

I stopped using Trillian, because using MSN on that would sometimes drop entire lines of text without any notice or whatever, so you would get some very confusing conversations...

Especially annoying when someone asks you something and then you type an answer and it never arrives... Mind you, this was years ago, so it might've changed with that whole new look thing and stuff... I just use Pidgin now. Suits me fine.