Tanukitsune

Super Meat Boy! Boy is it hard!

Either I fail at searching topics... or nobody has created a Super Meat Boy topic yet! :eek:

Super Meat Boy come from the mind of Edmund McMillen, who you might know as the maker of Gish and the only way to describe the game is an N+, only good!

When I left the game I had reached the end of world 3 and everything is more or less a fair challenge.... although for a even bigger challenge you can beat the levels time record to unlock the nightmare version of that level...

You can also collect band aids or find secret warp zones to unlock extra character from other indie games, so far I've unlocked Captain Video, Gish and Ogram (it look like bizarro Meat Boy) and I can see Alien Hominid and the Braid character are among the other unlockable characters and each have their own special ability, which makes certain levels easier.

It's pure homage to retro gaming, with each intro of each level being a parody of an old game and a pretty hilarious outro after each "boss" level...

Oh, and it's 800 MS instead of 1200 for a limited time! :clap:

Beyond annoying that it's a timed exclusive on the 360. Nothing makes me more irritated/less willing to buy a game.

I loved the version I played as an IGF judge. I'll definitely pick it up when it hits PC.

Also the game isn't just by Edmund McMillen. It's also by Tommy Refenes, an incredibly smart and funny guy who I've worked with in the past and deserves credit as the other full half of Team Meat.

BUY BOTH VERSIONS! :(

:gaming:

It's just kind of annoying really. I'd love to play it, it sounds terrific, but I can't be bothered going all the way back to my parents house to get my 360, just because MS got an early exclusivity deal. I hope that when it hits PC/Wii, I'll still be interested. I guess it's that the most, I want to play it when I'm hyped, and it's relevant, not at some arbitrary date.

Oh, man. This game is fantastic. If you've ever enjoyed any platformers, you'll love this.

Beat worlds one and two, dark world one, and collected 22 band-aids.

Ogram (it look like bizarro Meat Boy

That's Ogmo, the star of Matt Thorson's Jumper series.

I am glad that Super Meat Boy looks fun and is reportedly fun, because I found Gish to be a terribly frustrating and unfun game in many ways, contrary to what I recall was the popular belief at the time [among indie developers/gamers].

I will buy it on Steam, absolutely!

EDIT: If you're interested, the latest IndieGames.com podcast features the duo behind Super Meat Boy, and is pretty interesting, I think.

I don't have an 360 anymore and play games exclusively on my PC so seeing this game that I have been following since before they had an official blog go exclusive on release breaks my heart. However the level editor for the PC version is a great way to win back my heart. The delay also gives me time to get off my ass and get a wired 360 controller for my PC finally.

I'm the kind of person who still plays Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on my Game Boy Color just to go through the challenge mode to beat times and scores. My favorite being world 5-4 made absolutely perfectly in sync. I've played it over so many times that I know the theoretical perfect score is 262 seconds left(starting at 300), getting that for me is a pretty rare occurrence, but golly when I do I feel like the man.

So in short if you someday find yourself playing a really good timed Super Mario castle level in Super Meat Boy, it was probably me (but probably not me).

Don't know about the Gish comments. I played and beat it very recently and found it rather enjoyable. Kind of dated in some aspects (clunky-ish physics), but fun-factor and play-wise was a nice start to the onslaught of indie titles that followed it.

It seems that, like always, the later version will be the better one, it will be getting the Minecraft guy as a playable character...

What kind of power will he have? :erm:

I hate the fact that you have to beat the timer to get the dark world unlocked... I think I'll just deal with the light world first and then see if I'll bother with the dark one...:mock:

Woohoo! I beat it!

It beat the living daylights out of me, but I did it.... and there is still the dark levels and the glitch levels... Yeah... I'm not sure if I'll bother, I'm just happy to finally beat an Edmund McMillan game! :clap:

By the way, I unlocked a few more characters, Mighty Jill from Might Jill Off, Flywrench... I also found the I Wanna Be The Guy level, but that was too much! :blink:

Most of the other unlockable characters seem to be different versions of Meat Boy... You do get a very special version of him for collecting 100, but I have no idea of why it's special, but it better be for all the effort!

This is the kind of game that I get worse at the more I try to finish a sticking point, so I have to do something else and come back.

I've always been terrible at 2D games, expecially platformers (and didn't have console games while that stuff was big), but this is one I can get a lot out of, unlike Sonic 4....

Now at 74 band-aids, 78% completion and 4,554 deaths. Finally unlocked the dark world version of the final boss.

Developed an honest-to-goodness blister on my thumb, so I guess it's time to give it a rest for now. :owned:

I don't even want to know how the dark version of the final boss is... I don't want to have nightmares! ;(

I'm going to skip this game, even the trial version is too hard to enjoy.

I assume the full game doesn't have checkpoints, yeah?

It's a shame because I really enjoyed the demo, despite it being quite hard. The controls are tight as hell, and the physics are spot on. But I know that if I bought the full game it would just end up frustrating me. Hard games = good. Making me repeat the same bit over and over = bad. I wish Team Meat went the VVVVVV route and added plenty of checkpoints, or better still, the Sands of Time route and allowed me to rewind time.

The instant replay thing at the end is ace though. :)

Mo

I don't see why it would need checkpoints, the time it takes to get from level to level is about the same time it takes to get from checkpoint to checkpoint in VVVVVV?:erm:

Yeah, the thing about the levels is that they're only one screen. When the game opens up 20 levels at a time to you, and they're only a screen each, I don't see why you'd really need checkpoints. If you can't do one screen, go pick another and come back when you're cooled down a bit. If you can't do it at all, you only need 17 of the 20 to get to the boss anyway.

I played a fair bit of this over the weekend. I'm most of the way through the main game I believe (I've been ignoring bandages in favour of grade A's so I can go back through dark world after completion) and so far I'm really enjoying the challenge. Boy are there some killer levels in there. Lots of nice mechanics and challenges sprinkled throughout that keep it fresh though. I almost collapsed in despair when the homing rockets appeared. Memories of N+ came flooding back ( I made it to the last 5 levels in that... one day I'll beat it!). They aren't quite as evil in Meat Boy though (so far). My favourite I think though is the eye beams, there are some really clever things they've done with them.

I also love the

feature on the replays. Along with the quantum thing it also reminded me of the sperm race as they all charge off and fall one by one leaving the quickest, most adept Meat Boy the winner.

All in all :tup: if you like a beating from your platformers!

PC release is coming soon in two weeks and so far Steve aka Mr.Minecraft, Captain Viridian from VVVVV, Josef from Machinarium, Half Life 2 Headcrab and Goo ball from World of Goo have been reveiled as the extra exclusive characters.

Seems Headcrab will be in the Steam version and Goo ball in the non-Steam version.

Still two characters to be unveiled next week for the PC release.

It's pretty cool that all versions will have their own characters, but very nuts for some people that want to propably own all versions then to have all the characters.

I wonder what characters will the Wii version have, in that sense it's a bit weird that Commander Video is in all versions instead of just the Wii version as Commander Video has been the character of one of the most important Wiiware flagship game series.

Steam is supposed to have from 23rd November a pre-order bonus that you get it 33% cheaper if you pre-order SMB.

Steam is supposed to have from 23rd November a pre-order bonus that you get it 33% cheaper if you pre-order SMB.

Proven!

post-3150-13375603317046_thumb.jpg

Okay, so my anticipation has sky-rocketed waiting for Super Meat Boy over the past month. I have been playing Meat Boy at least a couple times a week and have gotten to the point where I can speed run it in about 30-40 minutes on a keyboard. I was incredibly pumped when I pre-ordered my copy on Steam only to find out my Tuesday the 30th (release date) is booked, also I'm a little bummed that it didn't come out this week, the week when I have too much free time but whatever.

I want a game that will kick my ass to no end, in a time where most video games hold your hand to the extent that you don't even need to

, having a game were only the first minute might be easy is extremely exciting. Looking forward to taking on the leader boards, be on the look out for a certain "K-bohls!" because by god I'm gonna be on them.

Proven!

Oh yes, pre-ordered immediately yesterday.

Was planning originally to get this for Wii, but as the production of that is taking longer, I'm jumping to the Steamboat.

Man this game is great! I love it so much. The gameplay is solid, and I enjoyed all the new obstacles and enemies. The UI is handled really well, so that you never feel like you're wasting any time*. You just keep jumping in until you figure it out. I also like all the extra characters and how much variety it can add. If you're banging your head against a wall to an extreme as Meat Boy, you can try someone else to break the monotony. Some of them might be a bit broken though, I found a trick with Naija that allowed me to kinda cheat a few levels. At this point I've finished the light world, but I'm definitely going to go back to find all the warps and bandages.

*Outside of bugginess, my only real complaint is the way the negative stages are handled, just because I feel that they are made overly hard because of how you have to go out to the menu, restart the level and wait for the title screen and stuff. It's the only time that the game presentation adds frustration on top of the actual challenge. I don't mind it as much in the warps because those also have the added difficulty of having to beat three screens in one go, so I feel it's more justified there. It's my Trine last level moment for this game, although it's such a small percentage of the game it's pretty much negligible.