Tanukitsune

Difficulty in games.. is it that difficult to understand?

The first (and only) Sin Episode had dynamic difficulty. It had a scale from 0.0-10.0 to measure relative difficulty and it would measure your ability in the early sections of the game and adjust it to you. 7 would be hard, but if you really sucked at FPS that 7 would be a lot easier than Fatal1ty's 7. Since it's a source engine game, I started out headshotting every enemy with relative ease, and it made the end game hell when several enemies with hitscan miniguns started to show up. You would step out into open spaces and just start losing health instantly. The thing is, I'm pretty sure at anytime you could adjust the difficulty slider, and you would experience gameplay that would be easier, based on your skills. It was an interesting idea.

That's not difficulty, it's a similar system to Oblivion where the world levels with you.
Yes, but you'd still like a relative difficulty as you progress too, right? I didn't even think Deus Ex 3 would be open-world enough for that to make sense...

That's not difficulty, it's a similar system to Oblivion where the world levels with you.

Which is also present in Borderlands (if you want a newer example).

Did it? I'm pretty sure things were always the same level in all areas.

Did it? I'm pretty sure things were always the same level in all areas.

You could be right, or it could be a mixture. For example, from playing currently, the stuff outside the main area never seem to get stronger; however, after back-tracking into older areas while getting new quests, the monsters seem to match my level where when I went through previously they matched my level at that time... so maybe it is a quest-based trigger? Any Borderlands fan confirm/deny?