Cult of Jared

Tolkien wants you to collect 12 Orc livers.

I never understood the acclaim this game gets, it's the most cynical of all the EQ/WOW clones (the big sub-based ones anyway) . I played a character to level 40 and it has some offensively bad content, to a level that I've not seen many MMOs.

I hear it's just "current era" Tolkien, which is a terrible waste tbh. The world described in his other books is so vast and rich, it would make for a great MMO without having to butcher sacred cows.

Best title ever. I played about 30 minutes of it once. It was a bit too much more my computer to handle at the time... also, it wasn't very interesting off the bat.

This thread's title is the most damning review imaginable.

It's funnier than it is accurate. And it's not that funny. 4/10 funnies at best.

Besides, complaints about the <#> <body part> <helpless animal> formula are missing the point. Or so I believe.

Edited by Cult of Jared

lotro is rammed full of quota quests and achievements, the 'narrative content' is worse though. Following a slow walking frodo npc around an instanced rivendell, clicking him for a dry monologue text box at each point, triggering him to move to the next point, repeat for far far too long... 9/10 - Eurogamer

I'm playing this currently for a game diary feature for my blog. I have never played MMO's except some bad ones. LOTRO is allright. For a free to play MMO, it certainly beats its competitors. Yes there are a lot of quota quests but at least they don't force you to find/fight some insane amount. It's normally 6 or so stuff. Only level 13 now.

The crafting is....:deranged: I mean I understand why people are into crafting in MMO's but...I'm not the type of person that likes them I suppose.

It's funnier than it is accurate. And it's not that funny. 4/10 funnies at best.

Besides, complaints about the <#> <body part> <helpless animal> formula are missing the point. Or so I believe.

Somebody is not amused...

Apparently few people have tried the 'free to play' changes. Since I can't really recommend trying the game, I'll provide an executive summary. I would still be interested in hearing opinions, even if they are based on the abstract of the changes.

-Purchasable items are what you would expect: additional character slots, classes and quests.

40% of the traditional bag space is now purchasable. The game gives many 'gift items' early on, to pressure players into purchasing these.

The riding skill must be purchased. Gameplay past level 20 is clearly designed for the riding skill.

-The many achievements award a token amount of their store currency. Let's call the currency 'Banana Bucks of Middle Earth'.

This seems scaled so a fully leveled character will be able to buy a single piece of content

Also relevent is the
discussed on some previous episode. This game is essentially giving cash rewards for completing achievements.

Those are the parts that seem most relevant. Inform me of any missing parts. There are also large sections of the game that do not distinguish between subscription models.

It might be fair to say Turbine now have a business model more interesting than their game.

Edited by Cult of Jared