ThunderPeel2001

Hot scoops from inside EA - honest....!

I was kinda bummed out about the Paul Barnett bashing. He was always interesting to listen to in the Giant Bomb con stuff. Now that will always be coloured with 'is he actually a douche?' The SWTOR stuff sounds vindictive. That game kinda already gets a pass over any other MMO by having single player style storylines. It sounds like a dumb thing to want, but regular MMOs don't really engage you beyond the loot lust and quest glory. If you don't care about those things you burn out really fast (like I do on most MMOs). It may mean I only play it like a Single Player game for a while, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The Realm V Realm stuff for Warhammer seemed like the opposite, how to make an MMO more multiplayer competitive, so this dude might just have a differing opinion in how to develop a MMORPG.

I fucking knew it. I hope he can kick the habit and make better games again.

I was kinda bummed out about the Paul Barnett bashing. He was always interesting to listen to in the Giant Bomb con stuff. Now that will always be coloured with 'is he actually a douche?' The SWTOR stuff sounds vindictive. That game kinda already gets a pass over any other MMO by having single player style storylines. It sounds like a dumb thing to want, but regular MMOs don't really engage you beyond the loot lust and quest glory. If you don't care about those things you burn out really fast (like I do on most MMOs). It may mean I only play it like a Single Player game for a while, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The Realm V Realm stuff for Warhammer seemed like the opposite, how to make an MMO more multiplayer competitive, so this dude might just have a differing opinion in how to develop a MMORPG.
IMO Paul Barnett has always come off as a PR whore. He only looks good because Leigh Alexander is losing her shit on the bombcast episodes when he's on.

Really? He never really seems to plug a lot when he's on. He just seemed to get really excited about strange game-esque ideas, like that weird action figure platform with the digital inserts.

Drunken Leigh Alexander's antics are always hilarious.

IMO Paul Barnett has always come off as a PR whore. He only looks good because Leigh Alexander is losing her shit on the bombcast episodes when he's on.

I think, as CFish pointed out, he just gets really, really into things he's excited about. Too much, at times, which leads him to seem like he's trying to hard. He's just really excited about the idea.

Also, if you watched his cellphone blogs for WAR development, his PR sessions are fueled by sugar and cafination out the ass.

When he used to talk about the differences between WAR and WoW it was painful.

I don't see anything wrong there, sorry. Just a guy into his job. (And perhaps cocaine.)

Some of it does come off as a someone who just lost their job and vents about how their bosse.

It's not like any of it can be backed up (unlike say Valve's 'Fart Cops') other than the $300 million. And I already had my doubts about TOR succeeding long term, this didn't really change that opinion.

I don't see anything wrong there, sorry. Just a guy into his job. (And perhaps cocaine.)

You need to have played Warhammer I suppose.

People do this weird thing at shows and conferences. They're exhausting, and a lot of people get incredibly wired trying to keep up by the midpoint. I wouldn't be surprised if it were cocaine, but I have met personalities that big all by themselves, and have also seen non-flamboyant industry friends get that hyper and give similar interviews at shows.

I think it might often be an odd combination of media training, exhaustion and the games industry.

Video is pretty painful by the point he starts squealing "Warham-mer!".

What's wrong is that it's all bullshit. I suppose it's understandable that he doesn't want to give WoW credit, but calling it "woah" seems a bit cheap, and none of the things he claims make WAR different are substantial. It's all "heavy metal!" I just don't get the impression the guy has more than a high level interest in the game, as he just dances around bullet points fueled on cocaine.

It's not a developer's diary. He gave gametrailers the elevator pitch, not the design doc, and that's probably what GT wanted.

Anyway I was referring before to his discourse on the bombcasts, not his work doing pr videos for the games he works on. The latter are pretty much guaranteed to make someone look like a douche if that's what you want to get out of them.

You need to have played Warhammer I suppose.

I have. I have a CE. I still go back to it from time to time.

Still don't have a problem with Paul Barnett.

I don't have a big problem with him overall but Warhammer was an incredibly unremarkable, conservative MMO which makes his PR bullshit somewhat amusing. 'The Led Zepelin of MMOs'

I'm not going to disagree with the content, just the internet douchy-ness.

I would actually try to write as poorly as possible, to avoid being recognized. Not sure if that's what this guy is going after (with the way he writes), but that may be the case.