Sign in to follow this  
MrHoatzin

Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!! - The tale of a lost CD which blossomed into a chat about rock music

Good.

Now you can replace it with Scissor Sisters.

What happened to it? Did you leave it in your car again? Haha! Texas must kick ass.

Good.

Now you can replace it with Scissor Sisters.

What happened to it? Did you leave it in your car again? Haha! Texas must kick ass.

Crap. I may have left it my father's car... he took all the cds out of his car and put them over... which means... AHA!

I have found my Blur: The Best Of CD.

Too bad, otherwise you could have replaced it with something by Captain Beefheart or Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Two wonderfully relevant replacement suggestions...

Consider it a blessing. Now, instead of the Blur DEMO, you can focus on getting the full experience and pick-up their proper albums like Park Life and The Great Escape. "Best of" albums are :nuts:

At least that I can agree with. Actually I don't know the slightest thing about Blur, but I always frown on Best Of.

Blur's good, yeah. I was royally pissed off at my brother once when he borrowed my London Suede cd and it vanished for months. Turned up in his car (I stumbled on it), scratched and sticky. I had to get a new one, gawddamn thing was a pricey import, too! :hmph: Thank god he never found out about my Luna disc (Penthouse), I would have had a cow!

At least that I can agree with. Actually I don't know the slightest thing about Blur, but I always frown on Best Of.
I thought the same before I heard it, when actually the album is impressively cohesive for a Best Of CD. It features a tasty collection of studio music and an extra CD in concert. I bought it on 9.11.2001, together with Bob Dylan's newest album which came out on that day. Funny, I was actually looking forward to the eleventh of September so that I may buy it.

"So give me coffee and tv"

You know, I tried to find those lyrics. And the second line is either "peacefully", "history" or "please hurry". I don't know what they really sing in that point. Does anybody else know?

"So give me coffee and tv"

You know, I tried to find those lyrics. And the second line is either "peacefully", "history" or "please hurry". I don't know what they really sing in that point. Does anybody else know?

According to the handy booklet in the case that contains the lyrics, the word is "easily" but they say "eeeeaaaaassilyyyy".

Too bad, otherwise you could have replaced it with something by Captain Beefheart or Godspeed You Black Emperor.

What songs/albums are worth listening to?

What songs/albums are worth listening to?

By Godspeed... you should definitely try Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. It's actually the only one of their (four?) releases I've heard, yet, but it's a complete masterpiece. It's basically the only record I've been listening to for the last days. Incredible. Two CD's, four tracks, 90 minutes of awesomeness.

Captain Beefheart one the other hand... he's interesting enough. Not one of my favourites (mentioned him since I've been trying to get into some of his stuff about now), but interesting and, apparently, hugely influential. I'd say his debut, Safe As Milk, is the best way to get into it, and then you've got Trout Mask Replica which probably is the most inaccessible album, ever (and supposedly his masterpiece, although I don't really get that, yet). A song suggestion might be Making Love to a Vampire with a Monkey on my Knee - I haven't heard it yet, though, but I like the title. :yep:

Honestly, for Godspeed, I'd pick up either Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada (a shorter EP) or F#A#(infinity) (their debut album) before Lift Your Skinny Fists. They're both cheaper (or if you're going to obtain them illegally, they take less time to download) and I think they're better introductory works for the band. I do not recommend their latest release, Yanqui U.X.O,, unless you've heard and enjoyed their other stuff.

(For the record, though Skinny Fists is their best album)

Honestly, for Godspeed, I'd pick up either Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada (a shorter EP) or F#A#(infinity) (their debut album) before Lift Your Skinny Fists. They're both cheaper (or if you're going to obtain them illegally, they take less time to download) and I think they're better introductory works for the band. I do not recommend their latest release, Yanqui U.X.O,, unless you've heard and enjoyed their other stuff.

(For the record, though Skinny Fists is their best album)

My willpower has been weakening lately, I download less, I just go for a sampler before I buy anything unknown.

I had no idea that Blur had a greatest hits CD (god I really must be getting old). I should pick that up. I have to back up what Pappa said about GYBE. That's an awesome album.

Chris, so for me that love Lift yr..., do you still recommend me to listen to their earlier stuff before progressing to the lastest one, or might I just as well head directly for Yanqui U.X.O., which I've heard good things about..?

Chris, so for me that love Lift yr..., do you still recommend me to listen to their earlier stuff before progressing to the lastest one, or might I just as well head directly for Yanqui U.X.O., which I've heard good things about..?

I'd still go for the earlier stuff first. The thing about U.X.O is that it's made up of material recorded between 1998 and 2003, and it's good, but it just doesn't feel like an album in the same sense that their other ones do. It's more varied than most of their albums but it just doesn't feel as solid.

What struck me as odd about this thread, is that someone admits that they listen to Blur. In Finland that would be a strict no-no. Basically, if you are a male and you listen to other music than death metal, you are considered to be gay.

I hate death metal.

Basically, if you are a male and you listen to other music than death metal, you are considered to be gay.

:shifty: