Tanukitsune

Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley

I'm surprised nobody has created a post for this game yet?

Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley is the adventures of a cancelled comic book hero, Captain Smiley, who jumps into other comics to do cameos and help them out until he has enough money to restart his own comic.

I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've seen in the extras section, it seems that Captain Smiley is a real comic hero, probably created by someone on the Twisted Pixel team? Would they go so far to create a comic that's only readable as an unlockable that looks like it was done by a teenager?:erm:

Anyway, the game mosly plays like a run n' gun, with some brawling sections and some sections on rails, but you're mostly shooting things all the time.

The game has four sections, the original Captain Smiley comic, a fantasy Conan-like section, the Silver Age era and... shoujo manga? :eek:

Seriously, the shoujo section is the mostly hilariously insane thing I've seen! :yep:

I can't really say much about the game without spoiling the jokes, which are the best part of the game! I do advise you to invest in the bonus material instead of the upgrades, because they increase the amount of money you receive at the mission, it triples once you have them all.... and one of the extras is more Splosion Man levels!

Speaking of the money you get, what you receive depends on how you perform, if you lose too many lives, you don't get a bonus in that section, but you get one if you beat the level quickly, beat a certain section without getting hit, kill everything, etc, etc....

People seem to say this game is hard... Sure the checkpoints aren't as frequent as you'd want them too, but that's about it, I never died that many times per level....:erm:

Oh, and apparently the guy who voiced Vegeta and Piccolo voices Captain Smiley and Star? And did I mention how hilarious the extras are? That's about it!:gaming:

I have it and it is mostly good, but there is a one major problem, gameplay is really bland. I've been playing it in short chunks, because it gets pretty tedious after a level or two.

Solid writing and FMV cut-scenes make up for all the flaws Comic Jumper has. I keep spending my in-game currency to buy all the "behind the scenes" videos instead of character updates, because that's far more entertaining. Don't know if I would recommend it personally, it's a fun game, but the part where you have to play it isn't great.

I love this game, but I hate this game. It's friggin' fantastic, but also horrible. I want it to stop, but I never want it to stop.

It really bums me out that this is a console only digital release. As someone who can't get consoles online, it's infuriating that I can't play things like this. I wish they'd release it on disc too, sigh.

It really bums me out that this is a console only digital release. As someone who can't get consoles online, it's infuriating that I can't play things like this. I wish they'd release it on disc too, sigh.

In halls you can get it online, set your mac address to that of your computer disconnect the computer connect the 360 and you should be fine.

In halls you can get it online, set your mac address to that of your computer disconnect the computer connect the 360 and you should be fine.

I think it's the way in which you need to login to an account (Private owned ISP or some shit) that fuddles it up a bit.

I think it's the way in which you need to login to an account (Private owned ISP or some shit) that fuddles it up a bit.

You could also route the internet through your laptop to an ethernet cable to the 360.

You could also route the internet through your laptop to an ethernet cable to the 360.

Will give it a go someday soon, cheers Pattski. Now I need an ethernet cable...

Finally got round to playing it and now I understand what the comments were about.

Teh run-n-gun ethos that should be present in these types of games (risking going fast is rewarded if you are good) is entirely missing. Instead you have to inch along the level slowly taking out each enemy as their appear, if you attempt to speed it up, you will die and die again.

Turns what should be a 10 minute thrill into a 20-25 minute drudgery.

I would shit on it more but there is such charm in the cutscenes that I feel forced to forgive it.