Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Thumb Association

I recently finished reading the comic series Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis, which is fantastic by the way. I heartily recommend it.

A line that stuck out at me from one of the issues was this:

"Silence, vermin! I am in command here! Who did you vote for, vermin woman? Did you vote? Can you read? Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!

This prompted me to wonder whether the rest of you have any good quotes or memories from other entertainment that has reminded you strongly of Idle Thumbs? I regularly have to say "the wizaaaard" in the voice when I see the word but I'm sure there must be other entertaining unintentional references out there.

I know I've had these moments but none come to mind right now. I'm sure many of us have because, let's face it, the thumbs audience could easily be called a cult following and with that kind of minor obsession you're going to have thumbs on the brain and think of it at odd times.

This is probably an epidemic among this community, but every time I play a fantasy game, with any sort of spell at all, I giggle maniacally and sing "The wizaaaaaaaaaard" to myself.

More specific would have to be watching Seabiscuit with a friend the other day, and constantly thinking about horsebags. You've ruined my brain, people! I love it.

A friend of mine got her daughter a space hopper that has a horse's head attached and the only thing I can think every time I see it is "horsebag". The laughing is becoming difficult to explain. Also whenever the word "wizard" comes up I sing it too.

Yeah, I get regular horsebag and wizard associations. Thumb ones are rarer though. There are several times I've had to stop myself from humming along to a mental soundtrack of "Wizaaaaa-aaa-aaa-aaard" in public.

What I have found is that I talk about Thumbs a fair bit and recommend it to people, mainly because it's a literate community about games that doesn't have many dicks. Yesterday I found myself recommending ysbreker's Minecraft server to three friends just because it's full of amazing stuff and players that are respectful of each other's stuff.

(Isn't Transmetropolitan fantastic? If you like that, I'd also recommend King City by Brandon Graham. There was a Tokyopop volume of the first six issues, but the artwork was too small and it was a ball ache to read. This year, it got reprinted as individual issues at a much larger size, running straight on into the last six too. It's brilliant, like the demented culture of Transmet but with the feel of a much calmer city).

What I have found is that I talk about Thumbs a fair bit and recommend it to people, mainly because it's a literate community about games that doesn't have many dicks.

Speak for yourself!

The past two years have been nothing but Thumbs association. Any time any wizard came up, really.

Seeing the next Harry Potter in cinemas is going to be hilarious for that very reason. I wonder if it will include a shitty wizard, this time around?

Every now and again I'll randomly sing part of a conversation to the tune of The Ballad of John Riccatello (the tune that is in the background the first time Bobby Kotick comes in.)

Things like this happen to me all the time, but I always forget them.

Maybe we should all immediately come to this thread and post about it when it happens to us :grin: