Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Actually the claim was that they couldn't get GBA to work properly on the original 3DS. Which, if you're an ambassador, you know, because it boots into DS mode and then runs the game from there.

I remember that whole silliness with the ambassador program. My thought is that maybe since SNES games only work on the new hardware, they can now do the same now with GBA games now.  

Look at me, holding my breath.

Yeah, they're going right for my wallet with those. Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Earthbound, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 2 (the best DKC), and Link To The Past, ALL on VC in their first three rounds of release. Fuck. I know I've bought these games too many times already (except Earthbound, which I've only had the opportunity to purchase once in my life). I know they're more expensive on 3DS than they've been on any other VC platform. I KNOW these things. I don't know if I can hold off despite knowing this.

Yep, I've spent a good amount of time looking at the SNES virtual console games on WiiU eshop wishing they'd be on 3DS instead.

First 4 games (SMW, Earthbound, Super Metroid, LTTP) are instant buys at least. Not sure how well Mario Kart and F-Zero have aged and if I've ever played any Donkey Kong game except Donkey Kong JR on Game&Watch.

They only come if you buy the console new (in EU or JP). Mind you, there are some BEAUTIFUL faceplates out there - why do you want boring white? ;)

Damn, I wanted SNES VC on 3DS for so long but it's come too late. I played LttP and SMW on GBA and went and got Earthbound and Super Metroid on Wii U. I'm starting a (small) collection of JP carts to play on Retron 5. They really should have launched this with the New 3DS and its SFC buttons. They must have crunched the numbers but I do not understand their piecemeal approach to VC. It should begin at launch and be supported with a couple of titles per platform per week until the ENTIRE back catalogue is available. I guess getting games recertified across all territories is an expensive ballache - that's the only explanation I can think of.

Also, this is the first time I've felt that cross-buy really should come into play. Being able to play your games across the platforms would be a small box ticked and might persuade a few people to pick up the other console. The number of people buying twice must be very low, no? Perhaps this is the last hurrah before cross-buy comes baked-in with NX.

Also also, why do Nintendo hide their 1:1 pixel mode?

Final also, why don't NES VC games have a 1:1 pixel mode on 3DS? Stretched pixels or no, why not hide the option away like they do with the GB?

I cannot stand the faceplate designs, I just don't wish to put any sort of character onto a system. They're truly dreadful.

My only option is ordering a replacement part from Nintendo Japan adn then have it forwarded to me with a special service....probably it'll cost me at least 30-40 dollars.

Oh that hanafuda one is actually really nice (No.071)...will I be able to obtain it though, that's the question...

Looking at those faceplates I'm once again angry that they're only available for the tiny baby hands version of the handheld.

I guess the lack of cross-buy for SNES games on New 3DS is disappointing, but it's also entirely consistent with their Virtual Console policy on NES games for Wii U and 3DS. You can't buy Super Mario Bros 3 or Balloon Fight on both devices for one price, for example, so it would be weird for them to allow that for a handful of SNES games but not for every other cross-platform VC game. It feels to me more like they're just playing out the consequences of a business decision that was made a long time ago. 

Still, I do hope the NX and their new account system will signal a change in direction in this area...

Imagine if they made all previously purchased VC titles immediately available for redownload on NX... It'd be a hell of a trump card and would help bring all the disappointed Wii U owners round. It'd also help salve the inevitable post-launch lull.

I new some new faceplates. My SNES decals are wearing away a bit.

Amazon Japan sends also some game stuff abroad now starting this week. You might be able to get 3DS covers also from there.

All amiibos should unlock a bespoke character theme on 3DS.

That is all.

You're not wrong!

Just got Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright a few days ago. I thought I could never find this game in the shops since I've never seen it sold anywhere, but totally by random I saw it in this week in one strange shop and immediately bought.

And it soooo good. The only weird thing about it is hearing Phoenix and Maya talk English in the video cutscenes.

They only come if you buy the console new (in EU or JP). Mind you, there are some BEAUTIFUL faceplates out there - why do you want boring white? ;)

I really want a white 3DS as well--I mean, look at this! http://www.vooks.net/img/2014/09/New-Nintendo-3DS-White1.jpg 

So clean, dare I say retro? That Famicom feel. But my understanding is the same as yours, that they're only available (region-locked) in other regions.

The latest Humble Bundle is Nintendo themed and a great way to nab some cheap 3DS games! It's still a good deal even if you don't have a Wii U (does anyone?)

I paid about £10 and got Shantae, Retro City Rampage, Rhythm Thief, Citizens of Earth and Street Fighter IV, with more to come. Installed Shantae first and played half an hour or so. It's a fast paced, traditional style 2D platformer and seems right up my alley.

Bought my 3DS about a year ago (the cool one with the SNES coloured face buttons) and have mostly played Majora's Mask and ALBW. Even second hand games are prohibitively expensive so it's nice to get a bunch of them I can dip in and out of while travelling or whatever.

Nintendo eShop codes can only be redeemed on Nintendo eShop in Europe and South Africa. They will not work on American or Japanese Wii U or Nintendo 3DS devices.

Sorry everyone I never noticed that. Rare that we're the region getting the sweet deals though (further apologies to the Aussies).

Anybody played the games concerned?