Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

A lot of 999's charm was going from knowing nothing to learning the full story. I thought VLR would be diminished by the fact that I have some context, but if you're saying otherwise then I'm interested again. (also since you clearly have good taste returns high five)

Oh man, I thought you meant you maybe had some idea of the story. You should get right in there. It is broadly similar but they've removed all the annoyances from the first game (you never have to do a puzzle room twice hooray!) and the way they help shepherd you toward the multiple endings as the plot unravels itself is probably my number one example of a video game telling a story in a way only this medium could. It's really something, so happy Uchikoshi is getting to complete his trilogy as it looked for a while like it might be dead.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a great game. You just have to get past the controls, which are bad if you're right handed, and downright awful if you're left handed. 

Don't forget about A Link Between Worlds. It's a really great Zelda game, that kinda messes with the formula.

I might not be able to play Uprising cause I'm partly being gifted it due to a dodgy circle pad, but I could easily borrow it to try see how well that goes.

Oh man, I thought you meant you maybe had some idea of the story. You should get right in there. It is broadly similar but they've removed all the annoyances from the first game (you never have to do a puzzle room twice hooray!) and the way they help shepherd you toward the multiple endings as the plot unravels itself is probably my number one example of a video game telling a story in a way only this medium could. It's really something, so happy Uchikoshi is getting to complete his trilogy as it looked for a while like it might be dead.

This is all good news! I didn't know that they improved gameplay stuff, nor did I know it was a trilogy with a third one on the way. :D

The Nintendo Badge Arcade is a fascinating thing: the physics simulation, the writing, the way it sidles up to the line and over it with incentives to put down for a bunch of plays and a wallpaper that can't be worth the dollar price (surely?)

but oh man, and girl, does it ever take a long time to load sometimes

I thought the terrible loading times were due to my bad internet. But that's been fixed and it's still so damn slow. I want my free plays! *bangs fists on table*

I feel like aside from that it does everything right bar the monetisation. If I can get 1-3 free plays from a good go in the test catcher, then why am I gonna pay just to get just 5? If I cared about getting specific badges sure, but I've just been min maxing and never bothering to place the badges on my homescreen even. I think paying €1 for 5 plays is fair in a way cause there's a lot of solid work here, but it's not priced well against the free plays that it feels like a disincentive to buy.

I've put $4 into it. Mostly 'cause i absolutely needed to get Roald from Animal Crossing as he's my best digital friend. I also am super into the little animal crossing heads they had last week. I put another dollar in for that.

I'd be way more into it if it didn't take a million years to load and require an internet connection to open. Can you even change badges around without opening the game? It takes sooo loooooong.

If I remember right, you can change badges, without opening it. Just double tap on a badge and it should open up the little menu at the top to rearrange & swap out badges.

There's also a "Decorate with Badges" button in the menu you get when tapping the top-left icon on your home screen, the one with a house icon and a wrench.

(I also thought I was the only one it was loading slow for. And I totally didn't spend $2 to get a few Rhythm Tengoku Badges in a fit of weakness I'm choosing to now interpret as a microincentive for them to localize the latest one.)

Can you 3D print the badges at all? Is there a Nintendo PrintBoy coming to market anytime soon? For the 3DS.

It wouldn't work on the 2DS because there are some pieces of Nintendo Magic Dust that can only be properly experienced in 3D.

Those faceplates are so nice and slick. Such a shame that Nintendo invariably only gets around to that way into the lifecycle of a console/handheld (and yes, New 3DS is still the most part a 3DS).

In America you can't even get a stand-alone New 3ds Roderick. And if you decide to buy a bundle? Do you think you can somehow order regular white face-plates, so you don't have a weird Animal Crossing 3ds? No, that is not allowed.

Starting with the Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer you can buy a NN3DS in a bundle, but not on it's own. There will be a Pokémon one in February.

Yeah I am just selling the Animal Crossing stuff on eBay (well the game code, if you have the New 3DS then you have the plates). Nintendo sells basic colors like red, blue, and green from their website at like $10 plus shipping, but that's no fun. So it's to eBay for people in the U.S. to get the better faceplates.

After years of eyeing Street Fighter IV 3D for next-to-nothing I bought it this morning. Has anybody played it or got any tips? So far I'm really impressed at how they got this on the handheld as a launch title. I've Beaten Arcade mode with Ryu, and I've just googled how to throw.

Beat-em-ups are a huge gap in my gaming - they look lovely but I've never been able to get down with one. This seems approachable though, especially with the Super/Ultra moves mapped to the touchscreen.

Side note. How difficult is it to map button icons to the Moves List instead of LP/MP/HP and symbols?! Or at least a toggle! Feel like I need a bloody dictionary to decipher the moves.

SFIV3D is a weirdly good port. I still don't find the cramped controls of a handheld to be adequate for a fighter*, but that's not Capcom's fault.

*unless we're taking about the Neo Geo Pocket.

It's real good. It's built up a good assortment of DL only games to complement the usual AAA Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc.

The eye tracking 3D actually makes the feature worthwhile for the first time in my opinion. I'm finally (finally!) going to beat Zelda: Link Between Worlds and the looking down into a 3D toybox feeling is fantastic.

They've started to roll out some SNES classics on the eShop that only work on the New 3Ds, which has me super excited. I hope they get around to adding GBA stuff at some point, though I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think they will add GBA since they stubbornly claim that GBA is only for the 3DS ambassadors.