Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

If you're after some palette cleansers, the Sega 3D Classics are all pretty wonderful. VVVVVV is a great port. And Mario 3D Land if you haven't already got it.

Hmmm...SoR2 is probably in my all time top 10, I've beaten it more times than I can count, but I haven't played it in years. The 3d use seems pretty perfect though. Wonder how I'd like it.

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up blasting through it. It's beautiful! A couple of great little additions (like you can cycle to the next character when you die) and the 3D is excellent. Highly recommended.

I made a sort-of mistake by buying Mario Puzzle and Dragon before my trip. It's fun enough, but I kinda wish I'd gotten Story of Seasons instead. In the end, it didn't matter, because my wife decided to pick back up Apollo Justice and dominate the 3DS anyway *shrug*

I just spent two months without a PC, with only my iPad and trusty 3ds to get me through... and Monster Hunter 4U was the best investment I could've made for the trip.  I am still finding new and awesome things to do in it!  I got into it a little late maybe, only having started in May, but I LOVE the style of game and the difficulty.

Similarly to what other posters have said, I think Animal Crossing: New Leaf is great for short bursts every day. It actually seems to lend itself to mobile play more than most games I've played. You can pick it up for ten minutes, then put it back down or do some business on the home screen while it runs in the background, or you can sit down with the game for a full hour or two. I find myself varying wildly in terms of how long I want to play it from day-to-day, and it's a game that really fits that kind of play frequency. My girlfriend's been playing the original ever since she found her old Gamecube a few days ago, but It's actually hard for me to imagine it on a console.

In a similar vein, Story of Seasons is an extremely relaxing game. It's not quite as accommodating as Animal Crossing, but few things are. It's still very much a game that can be play little bits at a time, or for longer sessions. Plus there are more chances to build relationships and such than in an Animal Crossing game.

Both are great if your'e looking for something relaxing and engaging, but not necessarily super challenging. 

I, like many others went from loving to hating Bravely Default about the midway point. Good game, but bad game.

For me it was more going from expecting to eventually like it to realizing it wasn't going to happen. I mostly just found it really boring. I do appreciate the random battle slider though.

I made a sort-of mistake by buying Mario Puzzle and Dragon before my trip. It's fun enough, but I kinda wish I'd gotten Story of Seasons instead. In the end, it didn't matter, because my wife decided to pick back up Apollo Justice and dominate the 3DS anyway *shrug*

I've been playing Mario Puzzle and Dragons too and yeah it's fun at points but damn as much as I love the idea of mixing RPG elements with puzzle games I hate the idea of grinding in a damn puzzle game. Building teams based on type advantages is cool in theory but it also means that some of your monsters are just going to be naturally underlevel even to the point where I'm being killed in one hit at full health because my monsters don't have high enough RCV or whatever, it's so frustrating! 

I recently picked up a "new" 3DS with some games for ridiculously cheap. My first DS since the lite way back. Definitely too small, I sold it for a pretty big profit. Maybe I should get an XL instead.

I guess this might be a good place to post this. I'm gonna be living away from home for ~6 months starting next month and my only game hardware will be a 3DS. Trying to stock up on long/cool games for the trip, and would welcome suggestions. My current list is:

Persona Q (already 30 hrs in)
Majora's Mask
Radiant Histora
9-9-9
Virtue's Last Reward
Luigi's Mansion

They're mostly pretty long but I think I'll have a decent amount of downtime so one can't be too safe :P. I'm thinking about picking up Bravely Default as well. 

Etrian Odyssey IV is really, really good. My understanding is that Persona Q has a similar structure, so if you like that, you should like EOIV.

I recently picked up a "new" 3DS with some games for ridiculously cheap. My first DS since the lite way back. Definitely too small, I sold it for a pretty big profit. Maybe I should get an XL instead.

The XL has no amiibo compatibility, at least until they start selling an adapter. It also has way worse 3D. I have the XL and like it a lot, but I don't know that the size makes up for the worse battery life & no amiibo/terrible 3D.

I've been playing Mario Puzzle and Dragons too and yeah it's fun at points but damn as much as I love the idea of mixing RPG elements with puzzle games I hate the idea of grinding in a damn puzzle game. Building teams based on type advantages is cool in theory but it also means that some of your monsters are just going to be naturally underlevel even to the point where I'm being killed in one hit at full health because my monsters don't have high enough RCV or whatever, it's so frustrating! 

Let me guess, did you just get to your first major Twomp fight? I was dead-ended there for quite a long time.

The XL has no amiibo compatibility, at least until they start selling an adapter. It also has way worse 3D. I have the XL and like it a lot, but I don't know that the size makes up for the worse battery life & no amiibo/terrible 3D.

I am talking about the "new" XL, not the old model. Ugh Nintendo and the way they name devices.

I am talking about the "new" XL, not the old model. Ugh Nintendo and the way they name devices.

Ah. Yeah, they didn't bring the new non-XL to the States, so there's only 1 New Nintendo 3DS and it is the XL version, but because there's only 1 version no one calls it The "NN3DS XL"

Let me guess, did you just get to your first major Twomp fight? I was dead-ended there for quite a long time.

I didn't just get to there, but yeah that's exactly what i was thinking about that too. I'm stuck in world 5 right now and honestly ready to give up because being stuck in that game is so far from fun. 

The plastic is coming off my 3DS directional nub, does anybody if they are really necessary or do I need to contact Nintendo? (Because I'm positive I don't have another option.) 

I've seen a bunch of people replace the nub by themselves, however I don't know what kind of soldering or other skills it requires...

Has anyone tried this new hack that uses the Youtube app to allow you to play games from other regions? I'm kinda interested because apparently it's pretty easy/safe and I want to play the new Rhythm Tengoku game a stupid amount. 

I would imagine that the only new thing about the have is using youtube to do it. I imagine that the rest of the software and all that is fairly well tested.

!!Apparently Nintendo announced a sequel to Picross 3D (The #1 best game on the original DS) that will come out in Japan in October, for only ~$30!!!

This is great news!! Now I have to region-unlock my system!!!