Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I'm still bummed out about that third Chibi-Robo game never seeing a release outside of Japan, it was the only one that tried to be a real sequel to the first game. Just one of very many Nintendo published DS and Wii games that never left Japan for whatever reason.

Also Capcom is making Monster Hunter X or Monster Hunter X Cross or something like that for 3DS.

Safe bet is that this is another iterative update in the 4 line, i talked about it a bit more in the 4U thread. It probably won't be released outside of japan until well into 2016, and if it is an iterative update, it'll probably allow for a save import from 4U.

I started playing Kid Icarus again. Ugh, it's so good! It could easily be one of the greatest games on the 3ds if the control scheme wasn't so terrible. It's not only difficult to move when you're on the ground, but it's actually painful to hold the 3ds the hole time. Plus as a lefty it's awkward.

The narrative presentation is just great though. A lot of games could learn from it.

I bought that recently and had totally forgotten about it! I need to try it.

It's currently doing that Nintendo game thing in the UK where having been full price since launch and occasionally climbing to £35+, has dropped in price suddenly meaning it'll likely disappear forever soon.

Safe bet is that this is another iterative update in the 4 line, i talked about it a bit more in the 4U thread. It probably won't be released outside of japan until well into 2016, and if it is an iterative update, it'll probably allow for a save import from 4U.

I got the impression it was more of a flashy action-focused thing rather than another iteration of the 4 series.

Reading this was quite a roller coaster of emotions for me.

Man, same exact reaction here.

I'll probably get the amiibo though, and it will be the only one I own.

I brought my 3DS to work today because I wanted to play Monster Hunter. What have I become? 

It's also now been elevated to my second most played game on my 3DS. Pokémon Y, MonHun4U and Project X Zone are all 50+ hours. 

I have no idea why I played X Zone for over 50 hours. I didn't even like it all that much. It was just my commute game for a year.

Yeah. I played 52 hours of X Zone, and I have no idea why either. It was kinda lame, but not lame enough to not want to play it. And the fighting was strangley enjoyable too. I should really go back and finish that game.

I play MH4U with a colleague every lunch time. According to my play stats, I've amassed 184 Hours. It is only second place though, to an astonishing 278:04 hours played on Animal Crossing. Damn.

Man, I wish I had a colleague to play MH4U with at lunch time. That'd be so cool!

How do you let people know you're into games? I get a lot of eye rolls and weird looks when people see me looking at game websites. There are a couple of people in my lab who have a PS4 or WiiU but while I have them as friends on the appropriate console, they never seem to be on. 

Haha, i brought my DS to work today to show my colleague MH4 in an attempt to woo him into getting it:P

Griddlelol, since we are in the same timezone, what time is lunch?^^

How do you let people know you're into games?

Honestly, I don't know. I just talk about them a lot, and then people either say 'what are you on about' or just engage in the conversation. I'm also a developer, so I guess it comes with the territory that there's a high interest in games. At the last place I worked at, I spotted people wearing game-related tees, which was a bit of a give away. As for my current place, it's a tiny company (about 20 people), so you know everyone's interests here pretty quickly.

Haha, i brought my DS to work today to show my colleague MH4 in an attempt to woo him into getting it:P

Griddlelol, since we are in the same timezone, what time is lunch?^^

I would bug him into downloading the demo, and playing that with him. It's what got my work colleague into it.

I would also be up for some MH4U at lunch, but our company doesn't have good interent, or WiFi. When we do, I'll be totally down for that.

Depends on when I'm hungry, which is usually 11am  :getmecoat

I can't access the internet at my university on my 3DS though, so while I'd totally be up for it, it's impossible.

I don't really talk about games, work is generally discussing well...work. I did turn up to the video game society once. It felt weird though. Me being 26 and everyone there was 18-22. I had nothing to talk to undergrads about other than "oh yeah, I'm staff...weird huh?"

Ha, Monster Hunter 3U was the game where I finally came out at work as a fully grown, basically normal man in his 30s who was not ashamed to be seen playing a child's toy on his lunch break. That series does that. There are a few people here who like games as much as me which is nice but none who own a 3DS, playing some local co-op on a break would be amazing.

There are some secret 3DS owners who I get StreetPasses from but I never see them sitting in communal areas with their consoles whapped out and it'd probably be a bit weird to just wander up and demand to play them at a few frames of Mario Kart anyway. Games!

Well, we should all play some evening. My code is Dibs 2638 - 0309 - 6867

go to the main menu, and click on the orange face at the very top middleish. You should have your name there on the top screen with you code.

I guess this might be a good place to post this. I'm gonna be living away from home for ~6 months starting next month and my only game hardware will be a 3DS. Trying to stock up on long/cool games for the trip, and would welcome suggestions. My current list is:

Persona Q (already 30 hrs in)
Majora's Mask
Radiant Histora
9-9-9
Virtue's Last Reward
Luigi's Mansion

They're mostly pretty long but I think I'll have a decent amount of downtime so one can't be too safe :P. I'm thinking about picking up Bravely Default as well. 

Bravely Default is excellent! I strongly recommend it!

Also check out Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Shovel Knight, Shantae: Risky's Revenge and apparently Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is now out in the US.

Edit:

I forgot Fire Emblem awakening! Also if you have a N3DS, get Xenoblade Chronicles 3D! It's really good! :D

I, like many others went from loving to hating Bravely Default about the midway point. Good game, but bad game.

Fire Emblem: Awakening and Monster Hunter 4U are the only two games you need for the 3ds in my opinion. They're both 10/10.

Monster Hunter and SMT4 will probably last you more or less forever if you want them to. Monster Hunter us just grind, and SMT you can grind as much as you want if you want to 100% your demon list.

A word of warning: Virtues Last Reward is super buggy, and has a couple of showstopper/save file corruptions on 3DS. Look up where they are (you can mostly avoid it by avoiding saving in certain rooms), save often, and rotate saves.

Psst. 3D Streets of Rage 2 just came out. It's very sexy. Probably best music in video games. And check out the interview with M2 here:

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/07/21/3d-streets-of-rage-2-makes-its-way-into-the-sega-3d-classics-interview-part-1/

Carry on.

Hmmm...SoR2 is probably in my all time top 10, I've beaten it more times than I can count, but I haven't played it in years. The 3d use seems pretty perfect though. Wonder how I'd like it.

I've been playing Story of Seasons and am about 46 hours in and am so totally in love with it still. If you have played Harvest Moon in the past, or that style of game is appealing to you, definitely check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've played SMT IV already, but I'm adding Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, and Phoenix Wright to my list for sure. I don't know about Monster Hunter, because I won't have anyone to play with. Is that vital? I'll be living in a different region and it's completely region-locked and none of my friends back home play it either. But, I'm used to playing co-op-focused games alone (I played like 80hrs of Borderlands alone (I was a different person back then)). Is it worthwhile as a single-player thing? My only MH experience is ~3 hours of Tri on the Wii. 

I'm thinking of maybe picking up Animal Crossing as well, but maybe I'm just going overboard at this point haha. It would be worrying for me if I end up actually having enough game time to play all these. Still, good to know that there is no shortage of awesome games for this thing that I've missed so far. 

(And I'll keep that VLR save thing in mind, thanks.)

I'm thinking of maybe picking up Animal Crossing as well

Animal Crossing is a great game to play for an hour or so once a day for a long period of time, rather than something to marathon through, so if you anticipate having an hour or two of commute time on the bus/train, it's a great game for that.