Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I too have a crapload of points now. I haven't even registered my new 3DS (EDIT: just learned I can't anyway) and I already have enough for the messenger bag. I think I'd rather get a ton of games, though.

I'm sorry if everyone already made posts like this back at the start of the month, but are any of these games something you'd urge me to pick up?:

Wii U:
The Wonderful 101

3DS:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Tokyo Crash Mobs
Dillon's Rolling Western OR Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

3DS Virtual Console:
Either of the Mario Vs Donkey Kong games
Chibi-Robo Photo Finder

I think Tokyo Crash Mobs is hilarious and dumb with its weird digitized sprites and campy, surreal FMV. It's actually like Zuma though, it's that kind of puzzle game, and it's from the guys PopCap ripped off in creating Zuma. Given how flamboyantly strange it is, it's probably not for everyone, but i dig it.

I think Kid Icarus: Uprising is pretty terrific. If a relatively light-weight third-person shooter with some distinctive mechanics and an expansive and complex loot grind sounds appealing, definitely check it out. (People tend to complain about the control a lot, but if you've played any other DS or 3DS games that do stylus aiming in conjunction with the d-pad or the analog stick for movement, you already know if the control scheme with give you any issue.)

People i trust say Wonderful 101 is pretty amazing, if lacking in tutorialization, but i haven't played it myself.

Sticker Star and Photo Finder are pretty blah, and i didn't personally like the Dillon games either.

The trick about a well designed metroidvania is that you shouldn't have to back track, the environment design should be pulling you along with forward momentum in big loops that only eventually fold back on themselves.

Anyways, the next logical place to go is Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Symphony of the Night has had a wide variety of re-releases over the years, the GBA games are conveniently all available on the Wii U virtual console, and the DS games are... Still only available as DS carts.

My personal picks would be SOTN and the two Sorrow games. (One of which is a GBA game, and the other is a DS game.)

If someone goes down the route of all the Metroidvania games, I would suggest that Order of Ecclesia be the last played. It cut a lot of the fluff and useless crap from the formula and reduced it to making the game more skill oriented. It may spoil all the other games.

SotN is definitely the sloppiest of all the Metroidvania games, so play it first. It'll be a good introduction for what to expect. as for the other games...

Circle of the Moon has a weighted, NES feel to its controls. Not to say it's bad, just saying what to expect. Great soundtrack filled with lotsa remixes of classics.

Harmony of Dissonance is the weirdest of all the Metroidvania style games. It's the most confusing regarding navigation of the castle, but will make sense.

Aria of Sorrow kind of established that the SotN formula was what's best for the series, so they just improved on it.

Dawn of Sorrow was more of that, only more anime-bullshit (again, lovingly saying "bullshit" here).

Portrait of Ruin is my favorite of them all. A lot of that has to do with the soundtrack (Yuzo Koshiro AND Michiru Yamane? YES). Also it legitimizes the Sega Genesis game, Bloodlines, which I liked.

OoE, as I said, should be the last played because it is so good gameplay-wise.

I admire what Order of Ecclesia tries to do, bridging the two disparate styles of Castlevania games, and it's probably the most polished and well presented of all the Igarashi games, but for some reason it never really clicked with me all that strongly.

The Sorrow games are definitely my personal favorites.

I think Tokyo Crash Mobs is hilarious and dumb with its weird digitized sprites and campy, surreal FMV. It's actually like Zuma though, it's that kind of puzzle game, and it's from the guys PopCap ripped off in creating Zuma. Given how flamboyantly strange it is, it's probably not for everyone, but i dig it.

I think Kid Icarus: Uprising is pretty terrific. If a relatively light-weight third-person shooter with some distinctive mechanics and an expansive and complex loot grind sounds appealing, definitely check it out. (People tend to complain about the control a lot, but if you've played any other DS or 3DS games that do stylus aiming in conjunction with the d-pad or the analog stick for movement, you already know if the control scheme with give you any issue.)

People i trust say Wonderful 101 is pretty amazing, if lacking in tutorialization, but i haven't played it myself.

Sticker Star and Photo Finder are pretty blah, and i didn't personally like the Dillon games either.

Useful perspective, thanks! I think I'll be picking up Tokyo Crash Mobs for sure, undecided on what else (it may end up being a bunch of nostalgia picks because I'm a dummy).

Kid Icarus: Uprising is like, a game I want to play so badly (it's, surprisingly, very similar to Jet Force Gemini, if you believe that), but dammit if the controls for the game really get in the way. There are on-rails sections which are fine, but you end up having to hold the gamepad entirely with your left hand, and then drawing with your right hand, and it's very, very hard to play for long stretches as a result. And because Nintendo sometimes hates you, it was never Circle Pad Pro compatible (well, it was, but only insofar as you could now play the same dumb way left-handed). So, really, I'd skip it. 

Didn't Kid Icarus originally come with some bizarre stand because it was so difficult to hold the system while playing?

I've got somewhere around 450 coins. I really just want 3D Land or Wonderful 101 but both are 600. I've played just about all the cheaper games that I'd otherwise be interested in. Has anyone played HarmoKnight?

Didn't Kid Icarus originally come with some bizarre stand because it was so difficult to hold the system while playing?

It did, i never used it for its intended purpose, but it's a great spot to briefly put down a 3DS without losing track of the screen.

I don't know though, i feel like Nintendo invited a lot of the control scheme hysteria over Kid Icarus Uprising by drawing attention to it with that stupid thing, they had already released multiple games with similar control schemes and nobody had really ever made a fuss about it.

I came into Uprising from having played tons of Metroid Prime: Hunters on the original DS and basically had no problems with the control scheme in either game. (I push the lower right corner of the system into the palm of my stylus hand so i'm not putting the whole weight of the thing on my left wrist. Problem solved, no cramps. At least, no more than you would get from playing any input-intensive handheld game for long hours.)

Actually, from the menus up to doing the system transfer that's currently taking place, that's one of the coolest features of this thing. It actually seems to work really well and I'm stoked to go back and try some games that had dodgier 3D in the past (Donkey Kong Country Returns and the aforementioned Kid Icarus, for example). With Icarus also using the second analog stick, I'm completely ready to go back and try to finish that game. I came real close but never did.

I really like Kid Icarus, but it's so difficult to play as a leftie. It's one of the few games where I've stopped because of dexterity issues and hand/arm/finger/wrist/shoulder cramping. 

Hey I've been playing this crazy little game called Fire Emblem Awakening. You guys heard of it? It's pretty good.

Currently debating whether I want to fork out to get a circle pad pro shipped over to play Monster Hunter 4. No way in hell I'm playing without a right stick after cutting my teeth on MH Tri.

About Kid Icarus, I bought it this weekend and the game is wonderful! The visuals are impressive considering the 3DS limitations - although it can look very ugly sometimes on the ground portions - and the gameplay is great, really varied and the difficulty system probably was very well planned and thought by the devs.

The problem, as everyone knows, is the controls. I'm getting used to it and recognize that the touchscreen provides more precision than aiming with a analogue stick, but it's definitely uncomfortable when you're in the ground, it just doesn't work well for turning the camera for example. I think they should just have streamlined the shooting in ground combat and made a fixed camera, that would work better IMO.

However, the stylus controls are beautiful in air combat, have nothing to complain about that. This game reminds a lot of Bayonetta, lots of stuff happening sometimes and I can barely see what the hell is happening on screen, I kinda enjoy this.

The characters are also really nice, I just wish they saved their best jokes and lines to the parts that I'm not busy trying to survive the hordes of enemies. I feel like missing a lot of stuff.

Anyway, despite the flaws with the controls, I'm really enjoying this and feel like mastering it's mechanics through multiple playthroughs.

Still, I kind wish the PS Vita was Nintendo's creation, then I could play it with a proper analog stick and even prettier visuals.

The characters are also really nice, I just wish they saved their best jokes and lines to the parts that I'm not busy trying to survive the hordes of enemies. I feel like missing a lot of stuff.

That bugged me too! I missed a bunch of stuff because I was frantically trying to kill things.

Goddamnit Nintendo, I was willing to overlook your shitty, insidious microtransaction game; but then you force the icon onto my system through Spotpass? That is way over the line.

I have a folder where I put all the junk I don't want from Nintendo (which already has like four or five things) so I'll just put it in there I guess. ]:

Nintendo was very briefly selling "replacement parts" in their online Nintendo store that included replacement battery covers for the New 3DS in every available configuration (red, black, MH4U, gold) and the charging cradle that was previously only available in JP. All of that shit is sold out right now and the Gold MM battery cover disappeared in like... 30 minutes of it being discovered, but it's still kinda interesting. Cradle is highly recommended, I imported mine and it's pretty darn convenient (enabling me to keep my 3DS on at all times for everyday streetpassing).

Nintendo was very briefly selling "replacement parts" in their online Nintendo store that included replacement battery covers for the New 3DS in every available configuration (red, black, MH4U, gold) and the charging cradle that was previously only available in JP. All of that shit is sold out right now and the Gold MM battery cover disappeared in like... 30 minutes of it being discovered, but it's still kinda interesting. Cradle is highly recommended, I imported mine and it's pretty darn convenient (enabling me to keep my 3DS on at all times for everyday streetpassing).

Fuck. I had the cradle in my cart and everything this morning and decided to hold off on it for a while. I loved the one I had for my old XL.

I think I'm gonna buy all of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball but I want to make sure I get it for as cheap as I can. I got a coupon for a dollar off after getting ten streetpasses, do I need to get more of those? The cheapest is like $16 right?

Have you played it at all? You can wear him down to haggling positions through story events.

Yeah, I have the first game down to $2 right now and it's telling me that's as low as he'll go. I'm just confused and frightened.

Oh okay now I charged my 3DS and see it. So can I really not remove this game? Is it stuck there the way Health and Safety info is? I can't seem to find a way to delete it within the data management menu.

It's just the icon and not the actual game. Just try to open it and it'll ask if you want to download the game. If you choose no, you can choose to delete it.