Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

In the US, when you buy points cards, they are counted as "gift cards" and thus no sales tax is charged on them.  Is that not the same in Canada?

I updated and set up the Eshop, and was amused when it asked me for my province to determine sales tax. I bet Nintendo thinks 90% of their Canadian demographic lives in Alberta (lowest tax rate in the land). After that, I got annoyed by a series of things and quit before I got what I wanted. Half the touch menus are still unnavigable by D-pad + A/B, for no good reason. To download this game demo you need to set up a Nintendo ID, why? To set up this Nintendo ID, you must make a Mii, why??? It's not that it's too much work for the result, I just resent the interface forcing me through unnecessary wastes of time.

I don't suppose there's any way to skip all that nonsense and just get my demo is there?

You would have hated knowing that before the most recent update, if you wanted to download an update for your game, you had to navigate to the eshop and search for it and download it manually. Now at least you get a prompt to update your game straight from the home menu when you try to access a game that needs updating. Yes, the 3DS is still stuck in the mid 2000's. Hopefully with their next console, they will finally have a real account system that ties your game purchases like basically any other company.

The ones for PSN don't have a tax, but the ones for 3DS do. At least, that's what it was like the last time I bought one. It's been a while.

So Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is brilliant. I'm playing on WiiU, but the previous discussion was in here. It's super streamlined and real, real, pretty. 

It's odd, that the combat is actually quite difficult, at least in comparison to the puzzles/exploration, which is very simple. 

I can't believe I've missed out on this genre for so long, just because I hated back-tracking as a kid. I'm officially a convert, and I want to play all the Metroidvanias.

I can't believe I've missed out on this genre for so long, just because I hated back-tracking as a kid. I'm officially a convert, and I want to play all the Metroidvanias.

The trick about a well designed metroidvania is that you shouldn't have to back track, the environment design should be pulling you along with forward momentum in big loops that only eventually fold back on themselves.

Anyways, the next logical place to go is Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Symphony of the Night has had a wide variety of re-releases over the years, the GBA games are conveniently all available on the Wii U virtual console, and the DS games are... Still only available as DS carts.

My personal picks would be SOTN and the two Sorrow games. (One of which is a GBA game, and the other is a DS game.)

Would break a lance for Portrait of Ruin as well, but none of the others. When will we get a good 2D Castlevania on the 3DS?

Well, seeing as Koji Igarashi isn't with Konami anymore, i wouldn't expect it any time soon.

I was going to suggest SOTN too! Also maybe Cave Story, if you've never played it. There's a nice remake on the eStore that's well worth your time, I think.

There's also metroid fusion on the WiiU, as well as the second Shantae which is on the eShop too.

Would VVVVVV be considered a Metroidvania game? It's certainly an open world exploring shindig.

It's open-world exploring but gear gating's a key part of the sub-genre.

There's something about Castlevania that puts me off, maybe because I have little interest in vampires, whereas sci-fi and sci-fi mysticism are things I absolutely love so Metroid is an obvious fit. 

I totally understand that reasoning too. Castlevania plays a lot more like an RPG in some ways, as well as having secrets that are a lot more obtuse than metroid. But saying all of that, SOTN is fantastic, and is available on something somewhere.

It's open-world exploring but gear gating's a key part of the sub-genre.

Fair enough!

I've never played SOTN but I've always wanted to.  I'm not super into the art style but it looks fun as heck.  I'm especially interested in the level design, given the infamous second half of the game.

The second half is really cool to be fair. I first played it on the XBLA, as they did an HD remake, I think. Or maybe not? It might have been before HD remakes were a thing. Either way, it's definitely available on the 360 and PS3, possibly 4.

It is very much not an HD remake, it was released around the time where the size limits were in place on the 360 and was notable for breaking them but only by a small margin. I believe that some of the cutscenes were taken out of the NA/EU version to size it down.

That said, it's a pretty good version of the game. I played it for a bit, but found it a lot more inscrutable than the generally straightforward Super Metroid. I was thinking about getting the PSP release of Dracula X Chronicles, it comes with SOTN and had all the cutscenes in place along with some reworked stuff if memory serves.

For stuff on Nintendo consoles, I'd most recommend Xeodrifter, Cave Story, the Metroid Prime trilogy, and -if it ever leaves the Japanese eshop- Metroid: Zero Mission. Super Metroid goes without saying.

Cave Story looks right up my alley. I'll probably grab that once I'm done with Shantae. 

I wonder if it's possible for me to burn out on Metroidvanias. I've just finished Super Metroid, I am playing the Metroid Trilogy whilst playing Shantae and Apotheon (although that's not a true Metroidvania). 

I falling in love with the genre, but I feel it's one that relies heavily on style. I don't want to back track or explore places that I have no interest in, which is why I'm nervous about trying Castlevania. I tried to play Guacamelee, but absolutely loathed its art and the stupid meme jokes everywhere, but Super Metroid, Prime and Shantae have been calling to me every time I turn on a console. 

Oh man, I was about to recommend Guacamelee because it's really, really, good. I do agree that the meme-based humour was a bit annoying, but I loved the art style. And the combat, level design, power-ups and platforming are all excellent.

In terms of 3D games, Batman: Arkham Asylum has a bit of Metroidvania going on.

In terms of 3D games, Batman: Arkham Asylum has a bit of Metroidvania going on.

So did the Tomb Raider re-make, thinking about it.

I used all my club Nintendo points on 3ds games. Mario's picross, Super Mario Land 2, and the Dillon sequel. Never played the first Dillon, people say the follow up improves the formula.

Love that hammer Mario stars in Picross :)

If I remember correctly, SOTN on the PSN is completely untouched, and SOTN on the 360 has more compressed music and voice.  I don't remember anything being directly cut from the 360 version.  There's also Shadow Complex on the 360 for another sci-fi one (which does have a tangential relationship to Orson Scott Card, but he ultimately had nothing to do with the game itself).

So, Nintendo has had a ton of good sales lately and now I find myself with a crapload of Club Nintendo points. I also discovered a handful of unredeemed vouchers in old DS games and in my Wii Deluxe box (which is amazing because I bought it used). I'm just one game away from being able to get the puzzle or messenger bag and I don't really know if I should go for them. I'd be tempted by some of the 3DS downloadable retail games, but I prefer to buy my games physically so my wife can play them if she'd like. Damn you video games for thwarting my every instinct in collecting crap.

If I remember correctly, SOTN on the PSN is completely untouched, and SOTN on the 360 has more compressed music and voice.  I don't remember anything being directly cut from the 360 version.  There's also Shadow Complex on the 360 for another sci-fi one (which does have a tangential relationship to Orson Scott Card, but he ultimately had nothing to do with the game itself).

I actually really dislike Shadow Complex.  I didn't enjoy playing it nearly as much as I hoped I would, despite how much I love Metroidvania games.  I really, REALLY couldn't stand the 2.5D thing.  Trying to shoot enemies in the background was an exercise in frustration for me.  I could tell that it was well made and definitely fits the genre but I had basically zero fun playing it.  That's a personal gripe though.  I would still suggest it to someone looking for more Metroidvania games.

I received Pokemon Art Academy & Animal Crossing New Leaf for Valentine's Day.

I have been tweeting my progress & my NPC classmate Lee's progress as students at the Pokemon Art Academy, so feel free to check out some gems over there. (My Twitter handle is the same as this forum username.)

I just started AC:NL, but if anyone wants to let me come over to pick up some non-Pear/peach fruits I would be eternally grateful.

There's something about Castlevania that puts me off, maybe because I have little interest in vampires, whereas sci-fi and sci-fi mysticism are things I absolutely love so Metroid is an obvious fit. 

Would it help if i told you that the Sorrow games feature a weird near-future setting?

For real though, i do think you should try to play at least one of the Igarashi Castlevanias, it's the "Vania" part of Metroidvania.

So, Nintendo has had a ton of good sales lately and now I find myself with a crapload of Club Nintendo points.

I too have a crapload of points now. I haven't even registered my new 3DS (EDIT: just learned I can't anyway) and I already have enough for the messenger bag. I think I'd rather get a ton of games, though.

I'm sorry if everyone already made posts like this back at the start of the month, but are any of these games something you'd urge me to pick up?:

Wii U:
The Wonderful 101

3DS:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Tokyo Crash Mobs
Dillon's Rolling Western OR Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

3DS Virtual Console:
Either of the Mario Vs Donkey Kong games
Chibi-Robo Photo Finder