Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

So I got a black new 3DXL today.

ZL and ZR let you page through the Home Menu.

10/10.

This thing is so glossy that I decided I needed a case. So I made one.

AdSzAiW.jpg

(it's two layers. The inside is soft and fuzzy)

I try to be careful with my devices, but the inevitable marring is almost cathartic. It makes the thing irrevocably mine.

I always keep my 3DS in a case, but not to keep it pretty or even to protect it from falls, i'm more worried about dust and pocket lint interfering with cartridge and button contacts, things i've definitely had problems with on more than one DS system.

That said, store bought cases are always ludicrously oversized and embarassingly gaudy, and as such, i'm kind of super jealous of that pouch Teg has made.

Anyways, I picked up that Majora 3D collector's edition. The figurine's sculpt is good and the mask is extravagantly painted, but the rest of the paint job is pretty wobbly and the plastic feels cheap. I think it averages out to "pretty nice", especially considering the fairly tiny premium over the normal edition of the game. I do feel bad for the collector types who are going to end up spending probably well over a hundred dollars for this thing though.

Haven't even touched the game yet!

Also picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. With access to a group of friends who are all seriously stoked about hunting monsters, i anticipate that i will end up playing that quite a bit.

I would get Monster Hunter if I had people to play it with, particularly if they knew what they were doing. I've always been curious about the Monster Hunter games but never really been in a position to try them out properly.

I just felled the second monster in the MH4U demo, and it was pretty fun, even if it feels as if I'm kind of button mashing at the moment. I assume that this is kind of how it is early on. I think that I'm probably going to take the plunge, especially since I really like the New 3DS XL (thanks, by the way, dium, for that fantastic blog post about upgrading from a 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL, it was so insanely straightforward). I don't know if I like the camera nub right yet, but maybe I just need to adjust its sensitivity, if that's possible. Am I the only person who finds the plastic on the thumbpad to be overly slippery though? 

Majora's Mask is as weird and wonderful feeling as I remember it. It's a crazy shot of pure nostalgia from someone who played the game once right when it came out, declared it a masterpiece, horsed around with it off and on for a year afterwards (there were so many wonderful glitches in the original game, including my favorite, where you could use the Fierce Diety Link mask horsing around Termina field), and then put it aside, knowing that some day I'd be able to come back to it with fresh eyes. WELL THAT DAY HAS COME. 

Seems like most people are saying the analog nub on the N3DS is garbage.

I would get Monster Hunter if I had people to play it with, particularly if they knew what they were doing. I've always been curious about the Monster Hunter games but never really been in a position to try them out properly.

Given that there's a pretty proper suite of online features in this one, if enough people here are interested, it would probably be pretty feasible to do something through the boards.

I beat Xeodrifter and started Sakura Samurai today! Both are actually pretty fun little games.

I bought my 3DS ages and ages ago (long enough ago to qualify for the Ambassador program that I never got to use) and never messed with any of the internet stuff because it absolutely refused to communicate with my router. I recently tried it with my new router and got it to recognize the network after only moderate struggling.

Now I have a new problem: I have no idea how to use any of the 3DS's wireless features. I want to download a game demo that I'm told is in the online store, and I have no idea how to do that. I don't even seem to have a store button in the menu, and a quick Google is completely unhelpful. Is there some magic step to get to the Eshop?

If I recall, the eshop was only added to version 2 or 3 of the Home Menu. So the first thing you want to do is to update your system. Make sure your internet connection is stable, plug in your 3DS charger and update your system through the settings menu. It'll update from I assume version 1 to whatever the current version is (9.5 or something), so it'll be a while. Then you should set up a Nintendo Network ID and from there you should be good to download whatever you want from the eshop.

Holy crap, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a 3DS go through four years of updates at once. It's gonna be like owning an entirely different console.

I doubt it, I can't imagine a change that would affect how I use it in any way, other than perhaps making it boot faster (though if anything, I expect four years of updates to do the opposite).

I bought my 3DS ages and ages ago (long enough ago to qualify for the Ambassador program that I never got to use)

Dang. Although there was the usual joyless moaning from some quarters, I thought the Ambassador program was a really sweet deal. Without it I would never have played Zelda 1, 2 or Minish Cap. Or Warioware Inc. Or Fire Emblem, which means I would never have played FE Awakening either. And I've still got Metroid 1 and Fusion, Yoshi's Island and Wario Land 4 sitting there when I can summon the beans to save-state through them. Granted there's plenty of stuff I'll never play (Ice Climbers, Wrecking Crew, Mario & Yoshi, etc) but I've got hundreds of hours out of that bundle.

I downloaded the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire demo and what first struck me was how technically ropey it is. After coming off A Link Between Worlds it's a bit choppy and disappointing - why couldn't they manage 3D outside the battles? I was hoping it could lure me back in to Pokemon after... *calculates* ...18(!?) years, but it didn't grab me.

Imagine if they released Red/Blue on VC with some Streetpass/internet trading tagged on...

Same, I got just tons of gameplay hours out of that deal. Metroid Fusion, the Marios, The Zeldas!

Dang. Although there was the usual joyless moaning from some quarters, I thought the Ambassador program was a really sweet deal. Without it I would never have played Zelda 1, 2 or Minish Cap. Or Warioware Inc. Or Fire Emblem, which means I would never have played FE Awakening either. And I've still got Metroid 1 and Fusion, Yoshi's Island and Wario Land 4 sitting there when I can summon the beans to save-state through them. Granted there's plenty of stuff I'll never play (Ice Climbers, Wrecking Crew, Mario & Yoshi, etc) but I've got hundreds of hours out of that bundle.

I downloaded the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire demo and what first struck me was how technically ropey it is. After coming off A Link Between Worlds it's a bit choppy and disappointing - why couldn't they manage 3D outside the battles? I was hoping it could lure me back in to Pokemon after... *calculates* ...18(!?) years, but it didn't grab me.

Imagine if they released Red/Blue on VC with some Streetpass/internet trading tagged on...

I get the impression that integrating any online stuff with VC is something Nintendo would never do. I could see them putting LeafGreen/FireRed on Wii U VC vanilla, though.

Link cables are technically way, way different to any kind of internet connectivity. I imagine it'd be possible, with an external interface, to connect two players running the same VC game, but that'd be it. I don't know if it'd prove to be too slow for the link cable, though, and it's hard to say that the effort would be worth it.

They're almost certainly never going to put any of the Pokémon games on VC, since they wouldn't be compatible with any of the new games.

I doubt it, I can't imagine a change that would affect how I use it in any way, other than perhaps making it boot faster (though if anything, I expect four years of updates to do the opposite).

I've had a 3DS since launch day and a lot has changed pretty significantly. I was listening to some old Bombcasts from 2011 the other day, and I had completely forgotten that there wasn't even an eshop at launch.

I'm currently playing through Mario vs Donkey Kong from the ambassador program, and it's just a wonderful little portable game.

I had a tense moment where I wondered if my save game would carry over after my system transfer.

They're almost certainly never going to put any of the Pokémon games on VC, since they wouldn't be compatible with any of the new games.

Not only that, but that series relies on remakes a lot that I'm sure they don't want to compete with themselves if the old games are easily available. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Gen 1 remake sometime soon. The 20th anniversary of Pokemon is coming up after all.

I got my New 3DS XL over the weekend, and I've just been having a huge 3DS renaissance. Majora's Mask 3D and Omega Ruby are what I'm currently playing through, and I'm having a blast. The New 3DS XL's face-tracking 3D works shockingly well. Despite being a fan of the 3D previously, I was always among the opinion that Nintendo's next handheld would probably abandon 3D, and I'd be fine with that. Now that I've seen the glory of their "Super-Stable 3D" I really hope they keep this tech in all future handhelds. It's one of the best implementations of stereoscopic 3D I've seen, in any medium.

The C-stick nub is also awesome. Probably not enough fidelity to be a suitable right stick for hardcore shooters, but great to have for things like camera control.

I updated and set up the Eshop, and was amused when it asked me for my province to determine sales tax. I bet Nintendo thinks 90% of their Canadian demographic lives in Alberta (lowest tax rate in the land). After that, I got annoyed by a series of things and quit before I got what I wanted. Half the touch menus are still unnavigable by D-pad + A/B, for no good reason. To download this game demo you need to set up a Nintendo ID, why? To set up this Nintendo ID, you must make a Mii, why??? It's not that it's too much work for the result, I just resent the interface forcing me through unnecessary wastes of time.

I don't suppose there's any way to skip all that nonsense and just get my demo is there?

Hah. I actually live in Alberta, so that never occurred to me. Do people actually just lie about that shit for the 5% tax?

In my experience, yes they do. When I heard about it I'd already been set up on BC tax for a while.

I don't lie... but the fact that you get taxed twice, once when you buy a points card and once more when you buy an e-shop game with those points, has tempted me. 

That doesn't seem fair, unless I'm missing something.