Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Question. Let's say that I am a person who likes Zelda, and is picking up a New 3DS next week, an I'm enticed by the reviews for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, but I'm not a huge classical RPG fan. But MH4U kind of seems like a 3D version of the types of games I do like, the Castlevanias, etc. How RPG-ey is the Monster Hunter series?

First things first, try the demo on the eShop. MonHun's control system is perfect, but bizarre. When it clicks though, you'll come to appreciate it's beauty. Also it shows the core of MonHun. If you don't like hunting monsters, you're not going to like this game.

As for RPG-ey, from my experience of MH3U, it's very late game, I completed the story before I had to get too deep into stats and buffs and stuff. You don't level up in MH, you level up your armour and weapons. You level these things up by gathering materials and then crafting items. For the most part of the game, the items needed are pretty easy drops, and you can upgrade your items at a reasonable rate. You might need to scavenge for that one bug that you're missing, but that's something you could do whilst attempting another mission, so it's more a detour than anything.

However late game (we're talking like 100+ hours here) you need an item that has a 3% chance of dropping, and then it's a case of grinding, which is still great because fighting monsters is always exciting and interesting, as long as you enjoy it.

And then there are attunements to the armour, which grant passive bonuses like increased fire resistance and not flinching when a monster roars, which become crucial late game too, and fairly involved as you swap out whole armour sets to be better suited for the fight ahead. Preparation is just as important in MonHun than fighting at any skill level, and the gratification pay-off when you're properly suited and booted is great.

I hope that helps. In short, it has RPG elements that can be largely ignored until super late game, and when they do come up, they're relatively simple to understand. The only downside that I can remember is that menu-flipping can be a tad cumbersome and confusing at first when looking at specific armour buffs. But for beginners, much like Dark Souls, find a weapon that you like, as get a good weapon that you can use efficiently and accurately, and everything will follow.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It seems like it takes quite a bit of your life away, though. I'm downloading the demo, and while I bet that the new camera controls will make it better, I'll take a look and see how it plays. I'd probably want to convince other people to play it with me, right? It's better with others?

Yeah, it's better with others, but you wouldn't want to start off on MP. Or at least, that's what I gathered from playing MH3. It might be different in MH4, but in MH3 it was definitely a thing to do after the solo campaign had ended. The MP is harder, as the enemies scale on the number of people in your party, so having a low-geared person on your team makes the game substantially harder. And if they haven't got a clue what to do it's even worse, if not impossible, as 3 deaths in the party means game over.

But then again if I remember correctly the MP has ranks, and early ranking was easy. Given that MH4 has online play now, I can imagine that the MP is a larger part of the game than it was before. (MH3U had online play, but only one the WiiU)

I would say you should be good to go MP after completing the * and ** quests, if it keeps the pace the same as MH3U. Earlier if you have patient friends :)

So warning to everyone who's about to get a New 3DS: The MicroSD cards ONLY accept Micro SD HC cards, and NOT MicroSD XC cards. This means that Your maximum storage is only going to be 32GB, which I guess is fine, but also a fucking ball ache as ol' knob-end me got a fucking 64GB XC Card and now i can't fucking use the damn thing on the damn console. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Skull Kid figurine is super nice too :tup: :tup: :tup:

;______________________________________________;

;______________________________________________;

lol, Sorry Twig!

After a closer look at the figurine, whilst it is nice, it does feel a tad cheap. There are slight defects for me on the back of the hat and the back of his foot, where the mould was poorley formed. Also the paint job done on the brown string on the foot is uneven. It's also quite light for a statue, compared to my other vinyl figurines of the same height. The Skull Mask is very well done though, which is where you'd expect the most detail to be, but even then there are some slightly botched jobs on the mask's whiskers. All in all, it's a good figurine for something I got free, but it's by no means the best. It doesn't meet the greatness of the first 4 figures figurine:

majorasmask2.jpg

Do you guys buy all your games digitally? This is my first 3DS, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy cartridges or just go straight digital.

Do you guys buy all your games digitally? This is my first 3DS, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy cartridges or just go straight digital.

I haven't bought a packaged 3DS game since Paper Mario and I love it. I'm actively seeking to replace my handful of cartridges in a cost-effective way just because I find digital copies to be so much more convenient. The only things to keep in mind:

1) Nintendo's options for recovering digital games from a lost or stolen system range from nonexistent to laughable.

2) you'll probably want a DS game or something just to keep the cartridge slot from getting dusty or digging into your hand. It's in a really odd place this time around.

I buy 75% of my 3DS games physically because I'd like to have them available for my wife to play if she's into it. That said, Nintendo is running sales on digital games more than ever. I've bought 3 full retail games on sale at 50-75% off the past couple weeks. Grabbed Shin Megami Tensei IV today for $15, can't beat that. Also, Best Buy regularly runs 10% sales on eShop cards (they're doing it right now!) so you can stack those credit deals with temporary price drops.

I buy everything digitally, but I'm perpetually annoyed at Nintendo's shitty account issues. If that's a thing that concerns you, I recommend physical. It doesn't concern me enough.

It's so nice to have all my games always available (so far, anyway, I haven't filled my SD card).

So warning to everyone who's about to get a New 3DS: The MicroSD cards ONLY accept Micro SD HC cards, and NOT MicroSD XC cards. This means that Your maximum storage is only going to be 32GB, which I guess is fine, but also a fucking ball ache as ol' knob-end me got a fucking 64GB XC Card and now i can't fucking use the damn thing on the damn console. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Well fuck, I've had this 64GB cart sitting and waiting for a New3DS to go into for weeks now...

The same thing was true for (non-micro) SD cards and the (normal) 3DS, but you could reformat it in a specific type (I forget which) and still use all of the space. I have no idea if that's true here, too, but...?

The same thing was true for (non-micro) SD cards and the (normal) 3DS, but you could reformat it in a specific type (I forget which) and still use all of the space. I have no idea if that's true here, too, but...?

FAT32. The only known drawback is that you can't save files that are larger than 4GB to FAT32, but that hopefully won't be a problem since the current largest 3DS game is 3GB.

I find it difficult to lend digital games to friends, for obvious reasons, so I generally see physical copies as a way I can recommend things, and digital copies as something that's only for me.

(Also most Nintendo games are actually more expensive digitally.)

My local indie game store could only give me 60-80 for my XL, so I'm braving the Evil Empire of GameStop.

They were sold out of preorders, so I'm getting one sent in the mail. I do the transfer at home and then I can come back in for the 100 dollar credit. Though I'm going to send out am exploratory craigslist post to try and sell for a bit more.

Any Seattle thumbs in the market for an excellent condition XL?

PS: I would not upsell a thumb. Straight 100.

I haven't bought a packaged 3DS game since Paper Mario and I love it. I'm actively seeking to replace my handful of cartridges in a cost-effective way just because I find digital copies to be so much more convenient. The only things to keep in mind:

1) Nintendo's options for recovering digital games from a lost or stolen system range from nonexistent to laughable.

2) you'll probably want a DS game or something just to keep the cartridge slot from getting dusty or digging into your hand. It's in a really odd place this time around.

I buy everything digitally, but I'm perpetually annoyed at Nintendo's shitty account issues. If that's a thing that concerns you, I recommend physical. It doesn't concern me enough.

It's so nice to have all my games always available (so far, anyway, I haven't filled my SD card).

Yeah, their account/recovery stuff is my chief concern. I bought a 32gb card, but started having some regrets when I got on here and read some of the frustrations with their online policies. I think it's worth it for me personally, but there's also part of me that's like, "Hey, there is a cart-based video games system in 2015. Shouldn't I be grabbing physical games for the novelty alone?" 

If it hasn't been a big problem for most of the people on this forum, then I feel okay going digital. Now I just have to figure out which DS game to slot in there—basically Sophie's choice. I'll probably go with DS Tetris, since I just found out the Gameboy version got pulled from the eShop. 

A couple of promos meant I got New Leaf and 3D Land digitally. Sale prices made me download Resident Evil Revelations and Bit Trip, and impatience got the better of me with Fire Emblem. I intended to go with carts whenever possible, which used to be the cheapest way. Since Nintendo embraced promos and sales it's not always the case anymore.

I'll be getting Majora's on cart to match Ocarina and LBW, but certain games (like New Leaf) are probably better as a download. The convenience of all-digital is undeniable especially if you're not a box or shelf-collection fetishist, but if you're absent-minded or live someplace where security is an issue I'd stick with physical until Nintendo implements an account system.

Yeah, their account/recovery stuff is my chief concern. I bought a 32gb card, but started having some regrets when I got on here and read some of the frustrations with their online policies. 

For what it's worth, Nintendo are getting rid of club Nintendo presumably because of these online policies, so I would be expecting this to change come the end of the year.

I personally buy everything digitally.

Speaking of Club Nintendo, if anyone hasn't heard yet, Flipnote Studio 3D is free to everyone with an account right now. This is the only way to get it, so grab it while you can.

Don't bother checking if you have an Australian or European Club Nintendo account

Don't bother checking if you have an Australian or European Club Nintendo account

Are they not eligible in this deal too? I thought they were :/

Well fuck, I've had this 64GB cart sitting and waiting for a New3DS to go into for weeks now...

Don't worry about this. Some nice instructions on how to get your 64gb card into your 3ds here: http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2015/01/15/upgrading-your-3ds-sd-card/

Did this with the old 3DS, works perfectly.

I have a bunch of very dorky friends who keep posting "Dawn of the ___ day, __ hours remain." memes on social media, and I've chosen to interpret this as them being very excited for my birthday. Because this makes slightly more sense to me than excitement over a 15 year old game (no matter how excellent).