Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

The system transfer is weird. Transferring will mean that yes, your game will be deleted, but it's tied to your Nintendo ID, so you can just redownload it from the store.

OK. I was worried that it wouldn't actually be tied to my ID, since it's there already without me having to purchase it on the store while logged into my account. I'd feel better if they just gave me a download code!

I'll probably get a black system anyway, since the MH one looks kinda goofy to me.

The New 3DS XL will be my first 3DS, so I have no familiarity with how the migration/ memory expansion process goes. My question is, if I just want to throw in a bigger MicroSD card, do I have to go through the migration process? I'm hoping it's super simple stuff as long as I haven't saved a bunch on the card it comes with. I just want to change it right off the bat to avoid having to think about it later.  

The New 3DS XL will be my first 3DS, so I have no familiarity with how the migration/ memory expansion process goes. My question is, if I just want to throw in a bigger MicroSD card, do I have to go through the migration process? I'm hoping it's super simple stuff as long as I haven't saved a bunch on the card it comes with. I just want to change it right off the bat to avoid having to think about it later.  

Pretty sure you can just copy and paste all the contents of the SD card from one to the other.

If you just want to move stuff from one SD card to another, just copy and paste through a PC. (Make sure the folder structure remains intact.)

It's moving licenses between different 3DS's where things get weird.

Or your internet connection fails, or the hardware locks up, and your games get lost in some kind of weird database limbo.

Those games still don't truly tether into any accounts, it's all still just hardware serial numbers.

I'm honestly sick of this shit. If there's anything that I hate about Nintendo, it's their archaic way of backing up data. You can't take it upon yourself, there's no track of anything on their side. They offer fucking nothing.

If I were to break my 3DS somehow, years of Streetpass bullshit would be gone. At least SOME downloadable games you can back up saves to the SD card and cart games retain the saves, but for fuck sakes Nintendo, try being like everyone else for once.

Also the WiiU is still even worse. You can only back up to a USB stick that has to be formatted for that WiiU only. Ugh. I'm awaiting a firmware update to take care of that but I am not holding my breathe. Not enough people complain about this stuff for Nintendo to care, but when we are getting into the days of social software we use for years on end, there's no excuse.

This thread has now 99 pages!?! Damn I really have some reading to due to my few years of absence from the forums.

Good to see you around again Kolzig, really great!

Now get reading.

So, I imagine that MH4 will be coded to take advantage of the extra memory and stick, but still be old 3DS compatible?

I can confirm however, that MH4 runs MUCH smoother on the New 3DS (I live in Australia and my friend already has one). We played the demo together and it was clear that his new 3DS has better load times and frame-rate than my 3DS XL.

THEY MOVED THE VOLUME SLIDER!

also does anyone know why nintendo never release GBA or SNES games on 3DS virtual console, it can't be hardware limitations.

They did release 6(?) GBA games if you were a 3DS ambassador, specifically for ambassadors, which they said would never be released on the 3DS. If you played them, it's pretty clear to see that it shut off all other functionality apart from the GBA. If I recall correctly, it closed everything when you hit the home button. Twig mentioned on IRC that it used the DS something then something i can't remember.

If I were a betting man, I'd put a lot of money on them putting in GBA games on the store specifically for the New 3DS.

In the new 3DS, they also moved the cartridge slot and the stylus.

it can't be hardware limitations.

It actually is.

GBA games only work on the 3DS via the DS chip which itself has a GBA chip, which means GBA games aren't actually "emulated", so much as running in DS hardware mode. So people (probably correctly) figure that Nintendo never released them outside the Ambassador program because it was a cheap way of doing it. As for SNES, I'm told those don't exist because there's no graceful way to display SNES resolutions on the shitty 3DS screens' resolution. Some games ran at small enough resolutions, but not all of them. 3DS screen height is 240 pixels. SNES games are 478 pixels at max (224 at min). Which, unfortunately, means they won't show up on 3DS since, though the screen is larger, the resolution is not. But GBA games might, since the system will be more powerful and theoretically able to properly emulate while in 3DS hardware mode. I suspect they will.

What's the consensus on the upgrade-y bits? Besides MoHun, do you guys think there will be a lot of other NEW-sclusive titles?

The last Nintendo handheld I bought was a GBC, so I'm thinking it's finally time. Just not sure if I need to spring for this new one or just take advantage of the timing and get a regular 3DS XL for cheap

What's the consensus on the upgrade-y bits? Besides MoHun, do you guys think there will be a lot of other NEW-sclusive titles?

The last Nintendo handheld I bought was a GBC, so I'm thinking it's finally time. Just not sure if I need to spring for this new one or just take advantage of the timing and get a regular 3DS XL for cheap

Monhun isn't an exclusive title, it just does things like load faster.

They have announced that there are going to be exclusive New 3DS titles, Xenoblade being one of them. If you haven't bought the system yet, I'd reccomend to get a new 3DS XL.

On the other hand it's probably a good time to pick up a used 'old' 3DS for cheap (which I did).

Right now Xenoblade is the only title that's exclusive to the New 3DS. Nobody knows how many more there will be. Or if they'll be any good.

I can always sell it and get a new one in the unlikely case a New 3DS exclusive comes out that I must have.

Honestly, the stylus coming out of the bottom on the New 3DS seems like the worst change to me. I'll probably stick with my XL until the next gen handheld comes. Though the faster menus/loadtimes do look rad. And the 3D youtube support! GAH.

I'm going back and playing more of my old games since I got my Club Nintendo game case and can swap them out handily in bed because I'm a lazy butt. Luigi's Mansion is so dang cute and fun.

Yeah, I've already played through Xenoblade and it almost feels like this might be more of a Power Glove/Sega CD type situation rather than a true platform shift

I'm trying to work out how the Power Glove and the Sega CD are analogous. I mean, I was a PC kid so maybe it's an advertising thing, but the Power Glove was a shitty third-party peripheral cashing in on the hype of the NES, and the Sega CD was one of duelling first-party efforts to extend the life of the Mega Drive. (teg's right, it's a 3DS DSi, which is a shame because that screen is actually much improved.)

All of these things tried to fragment the user base of an existing platform and utterly failed to do so. Also kinda funny that my last handheld was the GBC cause I probably got burned by that and then said no to the GBA.

So cheap 3ds xl it is!

I didn't realize the Power Glove was a third party gizmo.  For years I've just assumed it was yet another of Nintendo's long line of in house gimmicks. 

Nope, made by Mattel. They did distribute the NES in some territories, and it was heavily featured in The Wizard as being a good idea, which is probably part of the confusion.

So I had the budget for a new 3DS game, and was choosing between Fantasy Life or Pokemon. Tegan's adventures in insanity pushed me towards Fantasy Life.

It's okay so far, a bit chatty but it makes up for it by basically being a gathering RPG. I'm not very far in, but it feels like every profession has its own quirks, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the gathering professions are just reskins of each other. I like that the advancement system is goal-based, and that you can complete goals before they're given to you if you're getting bored and want to level skip a bit.

But the Power Glove didn't bar you from any games, it was positively useless.

The Sega CD created exclusives, just as much as the 32X.

I don't see how the Power Glove could possibly fragment any kind of user base except to show which kid had wealthy parents and liked to play games badly.

I've been managing to spend most lunchtimes recently getting through my 3DS backlog, which is really satisfying. I finished ALBW the other week, the first Zelda I've ever beaten! Usually my portables don't see much use, since my commute is short and PC wins out at home.

I just used this resurgence in interest to convince myself to get a new (New) 3DS XL. Upgrading to a console with only minor usability improvements after just 18 months feels almost unjustifiable, certainly not something I would have considered a few years ago, but I'm still glad I did.

The head tracking 3D is so, so, so good. Like, if this had been on the original 3DS I actually think it would have inspired more widespread and creative use of 3D in general, because the flickery effect when your head moves is totally gone. Previously I'd only used 3D for SM3DL and ALBW, but from what I've played so far it's now even worth leaving on for 2D games like Ace Attorney.

I'm not quite so hot on the design of the system in other ways. The coloured buttons are nice (though not as cool as the solid colours of the non-XL), but the slippery finish feels like it might get annoying after a few hours. The worst part is the awful new stylus; being fatter and shorter it's not long enough to comfortably reach the far side of the screen. But oh well, I feel like there's been a trend on 3DS towards games that control with mainly buttons, and only use the bottom screen for occasional functions reached with thumbs. Or at least letting players choose, instead of requiring stylus everywhere just because. I wish Vita devs would treat its touch screen the same way.

So, yeah. I've played some OoT but no MM, so I'm excited to play that in stable 3D (with all its other improvements) next month. Right now I'm working through all the Ace Attorney games for the first time. The eShop release of the original trilogy is great, it's so nice building up a library on a huge SD card and playing anything anytime.

For any Sydney folks, I now have a perfectly functional black 3DS XL that I'd rather sell to a human for cheap than to EB so they can immediately mark it up by 200%.