Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I got EO 4 but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Way too much grinding.

I don't think it's fair to say that it's a game where you have to grind, I certainly got through most of it without ever just consciously sitting back and leveling my characters.

I mean, but it is entirely about those dungeons, that is a very laser focused dungeon crawler. If that's not what somebody wants out of an RPG, EO is not the RPG for them.

Is anyone into Etrian Odyssey? I'm having a hard time deciding which one to buy.

EO4 was my first EO game, so i'd say that's probably a good starting place. It's definitely not very hand-holdy though, expect to have to pay attention and figure out systems. The subsequent series of remakes the developer is now running through sound like they introduce a lot of character-based story-focused stuff that might be to the taste of somebody looking for a more typical JRPG though.

I started a "Pirate Mode" run on Shantae. You start with all your abilities unlocked, but no health or power upgrades. It's actually been really cool to be able to just tear through every area at full tilt and grab everything in one go.

I think this is on my GOTY shortlist for this year.

EO4 was my first EO game, so i'd say that's probably a good starting place. It's definitely not very hand-holdy though, expect to have to pay attention and figure out systems. The subsequent series of remakes the developer is now running through sound like they introduce a lot of character-based story-focused stuff that might be to the taste of somebody looking for a more typical JRPG though.

Yeah, I think it's the one for me. The demo on the EU eShop at least has a lot of content but is limited to 3 (!) launches which made even trying it out pretty stressful but I enjoyed what I played. I just wonder if it's a bad idea starting it now as we're finally getting Shin Megami Tensei IV here on Thursday and I'm pretty hyped for that. I'll probably still pick it up while I can though.

I started a "Pirate Mode" run on Shantae. You start with all your abilities unlocked, but no health or power upgrades. It's actually been really cool to be able to just tear through every area at full tilt and grab everything in one go.

I think this is on my GOTY shortlist for this year.

I ended up getting this. It was a curious decision on my part: I joked about the 3D boobs making this an "insta-buy", but in reality, the only function of the character designs is to make me feel self conscious and to prevent me from playing the game in public.

But, I had a craving for a good looking 2d single plane platformer on my 3DS and Shantae seemed to be on the top of that heap. And it does look gorgeous (cringeworthy boobalicious talk sprites aside). I haven't played enough  to comment on the gameplay, but it's very promising.

Monster Hunter is becoming more and more tempting the more you guys talk about it. Is it really rubbish without multiplayer though? Or is it easy to get decent PUGs/find people on line who are eager to play? I´d hate to get so far into it only to discover that I need multiplayer to enjoy it any further. 

I´ve been playing Fantasy Life for a bit and it´s taken me 3 hours to get through the tutorial. I think that´s mainly related to the fact the language is set to Spanish, so I´m waiting for the actual game to begin before I cast my judgement. 

Tegan would you seriously advise against getting the lastest Pokemon games? Should I just hold out until Chhisristmaas? 

I played 90 hours of Freedom Unite and now 20 hours of Three Ultimate only having played around 5 multiplayer missions. It's still quite fun. The key is to just play a few missions at a time. If you sit and try and binge on it, your brain will melt. Also, keep good notes, and don't play one of the archer/gun classes.

My brother got Fantasy Life and I borrowed it and played for a bit. He loves it, but he's never been an Animal Crossing or an MMO kid. I have a Problem when it comes to both of those things (the limited edition Animal Crossing 3DS XL will attest to this).

I'm not digging it? I guess it's a blender of games I like (Animal Crossing, FFXIV), but since it doesn't do either of those nearly as well as the individual games do, it ends up just falling kind of flat. The investment is too high on the Animal Crossing front (more dailies than just "water your stuff, check the store, check your trees, done"), but the payoff isn't as good as the time you get from dailies in FFXIV.

I dunno. It feels like an MMO with no drive - no real reason to keep coming back - and that bugs me.

Teg keeps nagging me to buy this, and I've got PAX this weekend, so I went to buy it. Not out in Australia!

And neither is Risky's Revenge! I played it on iOS, which I'm pretty sure is not the reason I didn't care for it.

I'm really glad that Mario 3D Land is a thing that exists in this world. And that I bought it. It's my first Mario game since Super Mario World on SNES (never played a 3D Mario) and it's the greatest thing on the universe for me right now.

I think I'll just stick to the 3DS (and even buy a Wii U) in these frustrating times of being a PC Gamer in a new gen transition, lately I have been so worried about getting games to run well that I'm not actually enjoying playing them so much. The "simplicity" of Nintendo is what I need right now.

Tomodachi Life is the best thing to ever happen to Nintendo's marketing department.

I'm sad I spoiled the surprise for myself before being able to watch it but also ecstatic because finallyyyyyyyyy.

Glad I stopped playing the N64 VC release after one dungeon earlier in the year now, it was a good game but that era is hard to revisit. Europe's getting a special edition I might actually buy because that steelbook cover they showed was bloody lovely, and I never go for those things.

Also we're getting Shovel Knight here finally, like, right now! Just in time for me to go to bed.

I said this in another thread but I'll say it here too because Majoras Mask is the best:

I would've bought a 3DS just for a Majoras Mask remake. That's a thing I would've done. I'm so happy that I already own a 3DS so I don't have to do that, but not because I wouldn't have done it.

I know everyone's talking about Majora's Mask, and it definitely seems like a great game (never played it). But have any of you guys played Mario and Luigi Dream Team?

I'm really enjoying the ideas of the game in the demo, but I feel the game itself could be a bit better. I heard the first part of the game isn't too great, the tutorial section seems too long, but the game is great after the slow start.

So, do you agree with those impressions, does the game get better?

It's the only one of the Mario & Luigi games that I've just completely lost interest in and had no interest in going back to.

It's the only one of the Mario & Luigi games that I've just completely lost interest in and had no interest in going back to.

This.

I love Mario RPGs, but I just lost interest with that thanks to the massive amount of tutorialisation. Every 5 minutes another tutorial. Then interspersed with that is a bunch of tedious exposition. 

If it wasn't for those issues, I might have liked it. 

I dropped Mario & Luigi around what I assume was mid-game and haven't finished it. I could probably (hopefully?) chew through the rest of it in two evenings or so but I just have no desire to; it was dull and any game that mandates the use of tilt controls on a handheld is the DEVIL

I guess no Mario and Luigi as my next buy then. Maybe I'll just go for Kid Icarus or Ocarina of Time, the reception for both was way more solid, I just wished there was a demo.

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Edit:

I'm playing 3D Land right now and this guy:

Super-Mario-3D-Land-Happy-Whomp.jpg

Is the cutest thing ever.

I realize you made up your mind on this but I'm going to vent on Dream Team anyway.

I've put quite a few hours into it (maybe 2/3 through?). There's some good writing in there (there was a level where you climb a mountain dedicated to buff bodybuilders that was great) and some fun mechanics, but it has some serious flaws that boil down to the game being too long and tedious. Like there's way too much dialogue, the worst of it being from these two characters that tag along with you and seem to exist just to be boring and explicitly spell things out (the idiot pillow prince and that star thing). And the combat isn't bad, but it can take a while to get through a battle even when you have the enemies figured out and there's just so many filler areas the combat becomes more tedious than fun. I still tell myself I'll go back and finish it but I'm not so sure. I really liked the first Mario & Luigi game and the second one was ok. Maybe I should play Bowser's Inside Story instead...I hear it's the best one.

Oh and yeah any special attack that required tilt controls was a pain in the butt.

The first one was the best to my mind, but Bowser's Inside Story is also really good.

I still think Ocarina 3D is a clunky port, but... I guess it's a matter of minutia. People always shout me down when i try to talk about that. If you've never played Ocarina, or if you really love Ocarina, Ocarina 3D is a very nice looking version of what is still a really great and really important game.

Kid Icarus Uprising, on the other hand, is a game i personally really love, but... it definitely helps to know what you're getting into, which is that it's a third-person shooter with an initially awkward control scheme and a big emphasis on what is actually a really well handled loot grind. The campaign is fairly long and the story is surprisingly full of charm and knowing reference, but if you just zip through it on a low difficulty and call it a day, you might not feel like you've gotten all that much out of it, it's built to be replayed multiple times. (Lots of hidden areas, a very broad difficulty slider, a surprisingly deep loot system, and even incidental lines of dialogue that actually randomly cycle through variations on subsequent playthroughs as just a small way to keep things seeming fresh.)