Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Well I guess it was nice of them to give us themes by giving us NOTHING GOOD.

I'm not buying that shit. At least on PS3 I can select from a nice variety of colors. Well, hopefully later there will be promotions for free themes like how sometimes on PSN or XBLA themes are free depending on the game. Maybe it's just me, but I can never be bothered to actually pay for virtual vanity items, but I will use them for sure if I don't have to pay.

Are they not free? I thought they were.

I guess it would be easy free money if they weren't free.

I tried updating my 3DS to find out but got an error five times in a row so gave up. Guess I could try again now. It's been a while. Maybe it was a server issue and it's cleared up now.

Oh that's good then because all I wanted was the colors.

Well I guess it was nice of them to give us themes by giving us NOTHING GOOD.

I'm not buying that shit. At least on PS3 I can select from a nice variety of colors. Well, hopefully later there will be promotions for free themes like how sometimes on PSN or XBLA themes are free depending on the game. Maybe it's just me, but I can never be bothered to actually pay for virtual vanity items, but I will use them for sure if I don't have to pay.

They say when the theme shop starts up for the first time that you'll be able to receive themes as part of various promotions or with codes, so I imagine a bunch of games will have them included and stuff.

I actually did the 3DS Louvre Audio Tour -

u6ltYNll.jpg

I actually thought it was super handy! It definitely took some technical thinking to use it well, however, as the UI wasn't designed particularly well (though I honestly feel the level of navigability + search was more or less equal to Nintendo's lackluster design elsewhere on the device). It worked very well for the guided tours, except in a couple situations where items were placed very close together so it had trouble discerning what it should be explaining. It also didn't dynamically adjust to what exhibits were closed, which was hard to figure out the very first time it was explaining a blank wall but then much easier to discern later.

Here is an example of the setup, it shows what you should see in front of you on the top screen, a map on the bottom screen with the path you should take, and it explains things at each of the blue nodes. If you miss something, you can click the blue node to back it up to that point or click one ahead to skip to something you're more interested in - 

iwuuWqfl.jpg

And here's a picture of my wife using it. She says "the Louvre is way easier to consume while using it. It wouldn't have been nearly as fun if we didn't have something to tell us about things at our own pace. I felt very in control of my experience, which is not how a guide usually makes you feel" -

n0VX2dvl.jpg

Man, the latest update meant I can finally upload this picture to twitter.

BzYdxqxCIAE5yLC.jpg

I came here to go, "Hey the themes are the first substantial 3DS update since I've come to own one," but now I'm just gonna be like, "I want more screenshots like this."

I want more screenshots like this.

I'm not really sure what prevented you from doing it before, since you can usually save screenshots via Miiverse and could always just take screenshots in ACNL with the shoulder buttons and copy them from the SD card.

(I don't like that 3DS screenshot sharing is still entirely tied to dumb social network stuff, whether it's Nintendo's own dumb social network or the ones people actually use)

God help me i've started playing monster hunter...

I've actually played a bit back on PSP, but that was at the behest of a friend and he had a bit of an attitude about losing in that game so i kinda got soured for a while.

I'm playing 3U, and having a lot more fun this time around, although the trapping around the actual gameplay are STILL often really terrible, some stuff apparently got worse in the U version of 3 for some reason. 

There is altogether too much time wasting (grinding for drops, cooking meat, mining, etc.) that should be automated (and apparently some had been at some point).

Really hoping 4U is better at the little things so i can enjoy the actual hunting more.

You can buy region-free cartridge copies of the Louvre guide at the museum if you already have a 3DS, or download the guide in the eshop from anywhere. It's the only 3DS cartridge that's not subject to region locking, as I recall.

That's cool. If I had a 3DS I would definitely check it out for myself.

My friend took the Louvre tour while he was there, and he was pretty disappointed overall. Apparently it was a good idea but poorly executed, especially given the 3DS screen resolution. It's neat to get information really quickly, especially since his phone was not roaming, but the way it actually looked was a little rushed.

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the visual presentation after watching this

about the tour program.

I actually did the 3DS Louvre Audio Tour -

u6ltYNll.jpg

I actually thought it was super handy! It definitely took some technical thinking to use it well, however, as the UI wasn't designed particularly well (though I honestly feel the level of navigability + search was more or less equal to Nintendo's lackluster design elsewhere on the device). It worked very well for the guided tours, except in a couple situations where items were placed very close together so it had trouble discerning what it should be explaining. It also didn't dynamically adjust to what exhibits were closed, which was hard to figure out the very first time it was explaining a blank wall but then much easier to discern later.

Here is an example of the setup, it shows what you should see in front of you on the top screen, a map on the bottom screen with the path you should take, and it explains things at each of the blue nodes. If you miss something, you can click the blue node to back it up to that point or click one ahead to skip to something you're more interested in - 

iwuuWqfl.jpg

And here's a picture of my wife using it. She says "the Louvre is way easier to consume while using it. It wouldn't have been nearly as fun if we didn't have something to tell us about things at our own pace. I felt very in control of my experience, which is not how a guide usually makes you feel" -

n0VX2dvl.jpg

On the other hand, your description makes it sound like it added to the experience, JonCole. Thanks for the in-depth description and photos. I wish I had tried it out for myself now.

I still find it cool/bonkers that Nintendo would team up with the Louvre. It's a really neat idea, and seems to be a good fit for the dual screen. Both this audioguide and the the new Super Smash Bros really make me wish I had a 3DS.

I'm not really sure what prevented you from doing it before, since you can usually save screenshots via Miiverse and could always just take screenshots in ACNL with the shoulder buttons and copy them from the SD card.

(I don't like that 3DS screenshot sharing is still entirely tied to dumb social network stuff, whether it's Nintendo's own dumb social network or the ones people actually use)

Mainly my laziness. I took the picture ages ago using the shoulder buttons in ACNL. The Miiverse takes aaaages to load on the 3ds. I could have taken my SD card out of the 3DS, but as I never turn off my 3DS, and most of my games are on the SD Card, it would be a pain to take out. With the new update, there's a button on the same screen where you could change your theme where you can upload photos to Twitter/Facebook. Which is nice. What was nicer was that it somehow knew the picture was of ACNL and gave it the appropriate hashtag. I guess it was some image info stored on the picture. Still cool though.

There is altogether too much time wasting (grinding for drops, cooking meat, mining, etc.) that should be automated (and apparently some had been at some point).

Really hoping 4U is better at the little things so i can enjoy the actual hunting more.

The time wasting is certainly massively reduced once you've progressed far enough. Here's a couple of things that I learnt that made the automation process quicker:

• The only two common items that you need, but can't buy is honey (for mega potions) and flashbugs (for shock traps). I advise to use your fields making these two items. both green herbs and blue mushrooms you can buy from the grandma at the port, although she's not guaranteed to have them each time you visit her, so stock up when she does!
  • If you're running out of resources, convert the items the fishermen bring in to resources. They don't have any other uses.
  • You can get a BBQ that allows you to continuously cook meat. It also comes in hat form for Chacha/Kayamba
  • Bring honey with you on missions, so you can convert your potions to mega potions on the fly.
  • Always hug the poogle.

I'm really excited for 4U. It's going to be ace. Although I also really enjoy the down time between hunts. There's something quite satisfying seeing the village grow. Also I'll miss Cha-Cha and Kayamba a lot. I know fans of the series complained that there were no feyline companions, but I preferred it without them.

Oh hey, you can take screencaps of the home menu now. I frankenstitched together some of mine so you can see this nice panorama of my home screen. I always scroll through it using the touch buttons on the side, so it's arranged in 5x3 segments.

iusD6jN.png

And the folders:

Z66N8VV.png

The time wasting is certainly massively reduced once you've progressed far enough. Here's a couple of things that I learnt that made the automation process quicker:

• The only two common items that you need, but can't buy is honey (for mega potions) and flashbugs (for shock traps). I advise to use your fields making these two items. both green herbs and blue mushrooms you can buy from the grandma at the port, although she's not guaranteed to have them each time you visit her, so stock up when she does!
  • If you're running out of resources, convert the items the fishermen bring in to resources. They don't have any other uses.
  • You can get a BBQ that allows you to continuously cook meat. It also comes in hat form for Chacha/Kayamba
  • Bring honey with you on missions, so you can convert your potions to mega potions on the fly.
  • Always hug the poogle.

I'm really excited for 4U. It's going to be ace. Although I also really enjoy the down time between hunts. There's something quite satisfying seeing the village grow. Also I'll miss Cha-Cha and Kayamba a lot. I know fans of the series complained that there were no feyline companions, but I preferred it without them.

Yeah, I'm already doing most of this.

I have the both the double spit and the grill mask, but you should just be able to give a bunch of raw meat to someone and get steaks back. If i recall this was actually in an earlier game but was removed from 3U for some reason, along with the ore farm which should also really be there.

And of course I'm hugging cobra (my poogie), I'm not a monster. :P

I am still having fun with it, and I'm looking forward MH4U as well.

Hi all! I just moved country and I thought I'd leave the gaming bug behind in England, but nope, that ain't happening. I've decided to buy a 3DS and I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I've not owned a handheld since the GBA SP came out so I'm pretty behind. I'm definitely going to get the latest pokemanz, I quite fancy fire emblem and I might get the latest Zelda game. Is there anything you think is a MEGA MUST HAVE 4 ALL 3DS NUBBZ?

Thanks for reading errybody.

Hi all! I just moved country and I thought I'd leave the gaming bug behind in England, but nope, that ain't happening. I've decided to buy a 3DS and I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I've not owned a handheld since the GBA SP came out so I'm pretty behind. I'm definitely going to get the latest pokemanz, I quite fancy fire emblem and I might get the latest Zelda game. Is there anything you think is a MEGA MUST HAVE 4 ALL 3DS NUBBZ?

I could use this list as well, I just signed up for Gamefly in an attempt to stave off me buying a bunch of holiday games and my 3DS history is not very good right now.

That said, I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

The ones you've mentioned seem to cover the 'MUST HAVES'. Ocarina of Time 3D is a predictably fine game. If you're a commuter Animal Crossing could rule your life for a year. Luigi's Mansion is also great if you take your time with it. There's plenty of good stuff on the eShop, though much of it is also available elsewhere so it depends on what other game-playing devices you have and/or how much you value portability. It's extremely important to me because I may not have completed things like VVVVVV if I hadn't been able to play it on the bus.

I've used my 3DS as a 'retro catch-up' device for many NES games I never played originally (save states mean I can actually complete them too!) I would also highly recommend any of the Sega 3D Classics games that take your fancy - M2 have slathered them with care and attention. And if you get bored you can always plough into the DS catalogue too.

-Bring your 3DS around on your normal commute. If you find that you're getting streetpasses, consider getting some of the Streetpass Mii Plaza games. It's tempting to get the discounted bundle with all four, but I honestly would recommend just getting two of them, since if you spend too much time in that application it starts to feel like a chore. Monster Manor is my favourite; every session is short but has enough to do. Warrior's Way is also good but will require you to just wait for Streetpasses to accrue so that you can build your army for a lot of the time, especially near the end. Flower Town is nice and laid back but doesn't have a whole lot to actually do, while Mii Force has sort of the opposite problem: every session is a fairly long mini-shmup that will always result in either a victory or a frustrating failure, with no middle ground; so every session will either advance you or be entirely pointless.

-Super Mario 3D Land is such a fantastic take on the genre, perfectly blending the aesthetics and structure of Super Mario Bros. 3 with the gameplay of the 3D games. It might be my favourite Mario.

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker, and that's saying something. It will probably be especially effecting if you're a fan of Link to the Past, but don't let it stop you if you aren't. Ocarina of Time 3D is pretty much Ocarina of Time plus updated graphics and some new extras, so that's totally worth fourty bucks if you're up for playing Ocarina of Time again.

-When you say Pokémon, do you mean X and Y or Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? Because it might be worth waiting for the latter since the former -while still highly recommended- are clearly lacking in some regards (eg: the postgame is very insubstantial and certain features like Move Tutors and items like Gems are completely missing).

-Paper Mario: Sticker Star is sadly perhaps the weakest of the once-great Paper Mario games, both in terms of some questionable mechanical decisions and in the way it seems to have carefully excised a lot of the charm and humour from those games; but in the end it's still a very solid casual Action-RPG.

-Animal Crossing: New Leaf is one of those games that you're either not into at all or you dump hundreds and hundreds of hours into over a very long period of time by playing it just a little bit each day. I've put over 400 hours into it and I'm still doing stuff in it almost daily.

-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a super charming game that expands nicely on the original, but has terrible boss fights.

-Steamworld Dig is on a bunch of things now, but was designed with the 3DS in mind. It's a really fun little Metroidvania Roguelite (oh god video game genre names are terrible).

-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is potentially the most polished and well-realized version of Ace Attorney, if also the easiest. I'm a hug fan of this series and this might actually be my favourite one despite its problems.

-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy are slow-to-start but still excellent and very charming logic puzzle games. Those games like to have a bunch of barely-explained continuity stuff on the back end though, so I dunno how heartily I can recommend them.

-Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney doesn't quite hit the high heights of either series, but it's still a good standalone entry for both.

-Cave Story is on 3DS. You've probably already played it, but this is basically the best version. Don't get Cave Story 3D though. The good one's the one in the eshop. So is Ikachan, Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya's previous game, which is really short but super cute with rock-solid gameplay.

-the Guild games are generally really strong. They're a bunch of short, creative games produced by Level 5 and available in the eshop. Standouts for me were Attack of the Friday Monsters (very laid-back adventure game set in seventies-era Toyko in which you play as a new kid in a town where giant monsters supposedly appear every Friday) and The Starship Damrey (very Outer Limits-influenced horror adventure game where you play as someone with no memories stuck in a locked cryopod remotely investigating what happened to the spaceship you're on), Others have felt most strongly about Crimson Shroud (DnD-influenced fantasy RPG where characters are represented by actual tabletop miniatures and there are stats upon stats to explore in minutia).

-Pushmo and its sequel Crashmo are probably the strongest puzzle games unique to the 3DS, if that's you're thing.

-Gunman Clive is Mega Man, but with a cowboy and for like two dollars. Everyone should have it.

-other people seem to like Shovel Knight a lot as a retro Mega Man/Ducktales throwback sort of deal, but I had some pretty major problems with it myself.

-do not buy the 3D Classics games. The only really good one is Kirby's Adventure and the 3D in that one is the most slapdash, workmanlike use possible.

-Nintendo produced two free to play 3DS games; Rusty's Real Deal Baseball and Steel Diver: Sub Wars. At the low, low price of "technically free," they're worth at least looking into for a bit before you decide if you want to sink any money into them. Neither one will charge you much for a robust experience, though. Rusty is actually based mechanically around trying to spend as little money as possible by haggling with the in-game shopkeeper.

Don't forget that there's a ton of classic Virtual Console games in the eshop! Mega Man 2The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, and Mole Mania, for instance! Also don't forget that backwards-compatibility with the ridiculously strong DS library. That's Ace AttorneyThe World Ends With You, two entire Pokémon generations, etc.

To add to Tegan's list:

I still think Fire Emblem: Awakening is the best game on the 3DS, that is a must-play for any strategy-rpg fans.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a surprising and wonderful third-person shooter with a pretty solid loot-grind hook.

Resident Evil: Revelations is a very good Resident Evil game that is honestly better than the last couple main-series entries. (Look for a "circle pad pro" attachment to go with this one though, it benefits from dual-analog control.)

Azure Striker Gunvolt is a recent and pretty good eshop game from IntiCreates of MegaMan/Mighty No 9 fame. If you have fond memories of the MMX series or the MMZ series, you'll probably be into this.

Just tons and tons of good to great RPG's on the 3DS too. (Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey 4, Rune Factory 4, Project X Zone, and more.)

Did nobody say Mario Kart 7? Mario Kart 7 is a pretty good Mario Kart, might even be my personal favorite Mario Kart.

Edit: Oh, hey, and "Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS", obviously.

A minor dissent: I think Streetpass Battle/Warrior's Way gets older a lot quicker than Streetpass Garden/Flower Town. Flower Town feels simplistic but there's a lot going on under the surface. Warrior's Way seems like it has more gameplay to it but it wears out its welcome fairly quickly. I concur that of the four DLC Streetpass games, Streetpass Mansion/Monster Manor is by far the best, and Streetpass Galaxy/Mii Force quickly feels like a chore.