Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I played the first game, it was fun and as an rpg it's fine, but it's nothing like actual soccer though, not that it pretends to be. It's a bunch of kids who all have magical techniques (the main character is a keeper who learned some special "God hand" technique in his late grandfather's secret notebook and is now able to block any shot). Basically typical jrpg stuff.

Aye that's what I took it to be and I think I'm going to give it a go. I might get try to one of the DS ones cheap first if I can as I'm going to spend a small fortune on rebuilding my 3DS collection as it is. I'm so pleased to have it back though  :wub:

Nintendo announced a "new" 3DS.  Major changes include:

A second smaller analog pad on the right above the buttons (Iwata compared it to the GameCube's c-stick)

SNES controller colored buttons

The addition of ZL and ZR buttons on the rear

A microSD slot under the base cover

Longer battery life (3.5-6 hours for the 3DS, 3.5-7 for the XL)

The 3DS cartridge slot is now on the front

Integrated NFC for use with Amiibos

A new "Super Stable 3D" which will ensure 3D stays sharp even when the 3DS is rotated

And a Xenoblade port will be available just for the new 3ds, because it has a better CPU. That's kind of lame, because doesn't favor the "early" adopters, but I think it's better than not making the port at all.

I guess this is the DSi revision for the 3DS?

Given the second analog, I'm assuming this is the "Smash Bros" revision of the 3DS?

Nintendo really hasn't learned a thing about market confusion from the WiiU naming fiasco, have they?

Nintendo really hasn't learned a thing about market confusion from the WiiU naming fiasco, have they?

I think the name of the device is literally New 3DS.  So not confusing at all.  I guess the current one will retroactively be called Old 3DS.

This is dumb. I want to play xenoblade but there's no way in hell I'm buying a new 3ds for it.

This is going to cause a lot of confusion as well. Are the set on the name "new" 3ds?

Also, now I'm confused as to what ds stands for. Is it dual screen or dual stick?

I just read that it comes with a better 3D screen. Oh well, now I want this, just don't want to spend the money. First world problems.

This is dumb. I want to play xenoblade but there's no way in hell I'm buying a new 3ds for it.

This is going to cause a lot of confusion as well. Are the set on the name "new" 3ds?

Also, now I'm confused as to what ds stands for. Is it dual screen or dual stick?

The should call is the 3D-DS2. That will solve all the naming problems.

It's so frustrating that there is "marketing confusion" at all. Do people not do any research about anything, ever? How hard is it to ask a human being, or look at the internet, to find out what something is before you purchase it? If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on an item, why not...say...type the name of that item into Google?

I'm really excited about this new 3DS! I'd love to know more about that little nub. The white version, with the Super Famicom controller button colors is quite handsome. Also, I wonder how well the face-tracking / gyro stabilization of the 3D works, especially because the stereoscopic 3D works in a very specific way. 

Ugh, for as "friendly" as Nintendo claims to be, this kind of mid-generation, half-supported update stuff always sucks. Of course I want it, but I'm a big goddamned idiot who wants any new piece of tech. My only hope is that the more powerful CPU will raise the ceiling enough that GBA/SNES emulation will be possible. Given the claims that the regular 3DS didn't quite have the horsepower to do it correctly, I'd like that nipped right in the bud.

Also, I think there's going to be problem with their cap of 5 system transfers for the 3DS. I know people who have bought at least 3-4 at this point and they'll be using their last one for these updates. I don't really see the point of keeping that limitation intact, particularly given their propensity to release special editions and minor updates.

It's so frustrating that there is "marketing confusion" at all. Do people not do any research about anything, ever? How hard is it to ask a human being, or look at the internet, to find out what something is before you purchase it? If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on an item, why not...say...type the name of that item into Google?

I'm really excited about this new 3DS! I'd love to know more about that little nub. The white version, with the Super Famicom controller button colors is quite handsome. Also, I wonder how well the face-tracking / gyro stabilization of the 3D works, especially because the stereoscopic 3D works in a very specific way. 

Yeah, the Famicom buttons one is pretty boss.

Thinking about it, if you're going to do stupid naming shenanigans, this one isn't bad. Your grandma will go to Gamestop:

"I want to buy a 3DS"

"The old 3Ds or the new 3DS?"

"The new one, I guess."

And they'll get the right one.

Given their gamer-appeal aesthetic choice with the buttons, I really have no idea why they didn't call it the Super 3DS + Super 3DS XL/LL.

Given their gamer-appeal aesthetic choice with the buttons, I really have no idea why they didn't call it the Super 3DS + Super 3DS XL/LL.

Now with Blast Processing.

I'm kinda glad I got a Wii U then, because there is no way I'm buying a new 3DS system for just Smash Bros. I'm pretty I managed to skip the DSi system and I'm hoping I'll be able to skip this one or at least make it a more justifiable purchase.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who won't buy a system for just one game, no matter how good that game may be. 

And the 3DS can play GBA games because that's what you got for the Ambassador Program.

The 3DS cannot play GBA games.

The 3DS can go into DS hardware mode to play GBA games. It is not proper support.

EDIT: Oooh, wonder if new 3DS might be able to properly emulate GBA now that it has the better hardware...

Yeah, that was exactly what I was getting at, Twig. The original 3DS purportedly didn't have enough horsepower to do software emulation, but with a chunkier CPU it may be possible.

Apparently there's also going to be some kind of built in content filter on the web browser that can be deactivated for 29 cents.  I suppose I can understand the desire for some parental controls but this seems a little ridiculous.

rwp8w5d0hxergs3tj8if.jpg

Apparently playstation systems need that 29c lock way more.

That's not really the issue, people tend to know what thing they're buying when it's $200+. The problem is what games work on what machines, and splitting the sections in brick and mortar stores. Parents trying to buy their children games and not knowing what's what is pretty darn common, and returning games is incredibly difficult once you've broken the plastic wrapping.

Yeah, that was exactly what I was getting at, Twig. The original 3DS purportedly didn't have enough horsepower to do software emulation, but with a chunkier CPU it may be possible.

Haha I missed your post and was only responding to Tanu!

HERE'S HOPING!

That would honestly be a huge huge huge selling point for me...

AUGH I needed to get a new 3DS and was planning on getting a replacement in a few weeks, but I know I'll feel like a chump if I don't wait and get this instead.

Also, I mostly like the design (hooray for reasonably-placed Start/Select buttons!) but putting the stylus in the bottom and the Power Button in the corner like that seem like terrible ideas.

Ugh, for as "friendly" as Nintendo claims to be, this kind of mid-generation, half-supported update stuff always sucks. Of course I want it, but I'm a big goddamned idiot who wants any new piece of tech. My only hope is that the more powerful CPU will raise the ceiling enough that GBA/SNES emulation will be possible. Given the claims that the regular 3DS didn't quite have the horsepower to do it correctly, I'd like that nipped right in the bud.

Considering that they're marketing it with a port of a fucking Wii game, I really hope it'll be able to do SNES/GBA.

AUGH I needed to get a new 3DS and was planning on getting a replacement in a few weeks, but I know I'll feel like a chump if I don't wait and get this instead.

Also, I mostly like the design (hooray for reasonably-placed Start/Select buttons!) but putting the stylus in the bottom and the Power Button in the corner like that seem like terrible ideas.

Considering that they're marketing it with a port of a fucking Wii game, I really hope it'll be able to do SNES/GBA.

Hahaha, I didn't even consider that. How weird of a launch-ish choice. I guess it's kinda like the 3DS launching with Ocarina.

There's a significant difference, computationally, between running a native port and emulation. I can't speak to the relative complexity in this particular case though.

There's a significant difference, computationally, between running a native port and emulation. I can't speak to the relative complexity in this particular case though.

Yeah that's no guarantee. But I'll continue to hope until 3DS is dead. ):