Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Yet another moment when I want to "like" a post on here but can't.

Must have this function!

I feel like people make a lot of quality posts, but I can't show my appreciation by just replying "hahaha," because then I am flooding the forum. ;( And so then they get crickets, because everyone is probably doing the same thing I am doing.

Must have this function!

I feel like people make a lot of quality posts, but I can't show my appreciation by just replying "hahaha," because then I am flooding the forum. ;( And so then they get crickets, because everyone is probably doing the same thing I am doing.

:tup:

I used to hate the "like" function and was silently annoyed whenever a site would add it. Perhaps because it represented some sort of Facebook-ifying of the internet that I found unsavory.

But yeah, nowadays I miss it wherever it doesn't exist.

I've decided to play through Fire Emblem again on hard. Hnnngh. It's SO HARD! The beginning missions are a difficult because you're missing those stat boosts you get later on. 

I'm determined to do it though as it's such a great game.

In other 3ds stuff, who's played Kid Icarus? I've heard such mixed things about it, and really want to try it. However it seems like some people loathe it. Is it worth the £30 that it is on amazon? Or would it be a better idea to trawl through game stores and find a cheap used one?

Kid Icarus has a control scheme which you may or may not hate. If you're left handed, it's apparently almost impossible to play.

Other than that, it's a rail shooter, but it's also fundamentally a loot chase. There are a huge number of weapons available, and they have randomized stats. You can up the difficulty to try to get better weapons.

There's also more levels than you'd expect, meaning there's a lot more content than you'd expect from a rail shooter, but it all boils down to whether you can stomach the controls and enjoy the core gameplay. I got my money's worth out of it, but can't guarantee that anybody else would.

I think Uprising's still probably one of my favorite 3DS games. You can also definitely tell it's a Sakurai game, it has a lot of his trademarks, including that it's just absolutely overstuffed with content.

If you dig the combat and the loot mechanics, and if the control scheme doesn't cramp up your hand, there's a lot to like in there. (I nest the bottom right corner of the 3DS into the palm of my right hand instead of putting the whole weight of the system on my left hand, which i assume is the issue for most people.)

Yeah, I put a stupid amount of hours into that game and still never finished it. Always meant to go back. Perhaps that's a thing I'll do this summer.

If you're left handed, it's apparently almost impossible to play.

Seriously? Ugh, I might see if I can find a video of someone playing it left handed. If I can I might go out and find it somewhere.

You control movement with the stick while aiming with the stylus, so there is a bit of a right hand bias there.

It's not hopeless though, the game supports the CPP for an alternate left-handed control scheme, but the device's considerable bulk makes the control scheme even more unwieldy. (No dual-analog either, you still have to aim with the touchscreen. People who insist that the game would be better with dual-analog are being silly though, the game moves so fast that you really need a precise aiming scheme.)

If you like games stuffed with content, I also still recommend that (maybe weirld overlooked?) Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Such a rich atmosphere, fun control scheme and stunning graphics.

Just curl your hand down and under the device to activate the Dpad.

Oh so like Liberation Maiden? That game was OK to play, got a little repetitive though. 

Compared to what? To Uprising? I mean, i guess it's a similar control scheme. If you found that fine, you'd probably find Uprising fine.

Very different games though, Uprising is, for the most part, a third person shooter. (Where your movement direction is used to modify your attacks, on top of charge, rapid, and melee attacks.)

It's also a rail shooter, every level is preceded by an on-rails shooting sequence. (Which are amazing.)

Yes, should have clarified. I can easily use the stylus in my right hand. It's obviously less accurate for me...but it's good enough.

If you like games stuffed with content, I also still recommend that (maybe weirld overlooked?) Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Such a rich atmosphere, fun control scheme and stunning graphics.

I never understood the attraction to Kingdom Hearts games. It seems like such a disgusting cash-cow crossover. On top of that you have to know 2 completely different franchises well enough to be able to understand the references. Granted Disney doesn't really need that so much as their franchise is already firmly ingrained in our minds. Final Fantasy though? 

Also, is the combat different from 2? Coz I watched my friend play that game and it looked dull. *grumble* *grumble*

The secret of Kingdom Hearts is that it very quickly stopped being about either Disney or Final Fantasy and became about bullshit anime characters who all wear identical black robes. And it actually makes even less sense now.

(I secretly hope that Disney and Square Enix both start dumping their more recently acquired properties into the next KH and we get to see the Guybrush Threepwood, Deadpool, and Lara Croft team-up we've all been waiting for)

I've never liked Kingdom Hearts. I've tried the 2 main console releases and found them boring to play, and a narrative that was just stupid. 

I haven't played any other KH games apart from the 3DS one and I loved it. Granted, I don't mind random anime people populating it, that was fine. What made it special was the insane way in which you negotiate the levels. There's a cool magic parkour thing where you can jump from wall to wall and get higher and higher and once you build up momentum you're zipping through levels. It's really cool and refreshing and I wish it would be in more game. They even have a silly name for it 'flow-motion'.

That's the main attraction. That, and the gorgeous graphics and rich vibe. The fighting is fine, it has an amusing Pokémon monster collecting system and in between worlds there are 'dive' levels in which you're plummeting down to the surface.

I repeat myself, but I don't care: it's a cool cool game.

I actually gave up on the first Kingdom Hearts game because I just couldn't get past Ursula. No matter how many times I tried I just couldn't do it.

And, having never finished the first one, I didn't bother continuing on with the games at all.

Has anybody played the Regular Show 3DS game? It's on sale now. Even though it's from Wayforward, it seems nobody liked it? Then again, their Adventure Time game got low scores and I loved it.