Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I downloaded and played the demo for Mario Golf and really enjoyed it.

Of course I spent hours and hours playing the Gamecube Mario Golf with friends in college, and this felt very reminiscent of that game, which was a plus to me.

Game bought, homage JPG created.

cpylvpl.jpg

I'm expecting Hot Shots / Everybody's Golf lite, with added Nintendo Network weirdness.

Don't let me down, Mario Luigi !

I bought Mario Golf, and played a round of online play with two buddies scattered across the country on a lark this afternoon. It was insanely easy to set up the game, and we all jumped right into a nine hole match. There's a setting wherein you can either play one-at-a-time as if you were really out playing golf, or one where everyone plays at the same time. We went with this, and so you could just watch the little ghost golf balls of your opponents soar through the sky towards the ball on each hole. It was great, and pretty intense throughout. If you finish a hole before someone, you're taken to one of your opponents views and you can watch them finish the hole. Also, as in other Mario games, there's an option for making little appreciative noises to encourage or applaud your opponents. 

I am looking forward to taking this game on a long plane ride next weekend, but it's already pretty neat just how easy it was to play against my friends (quick round --> vs --> online play --> go to lobby --> choose character --> choose course --> playing). Pretty neat!

So Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright ended up disappointing. As I've mentioned, my biggest problem with the Layton games is their tendency to present themselves as a mystery, but explain the improbable with something significantly more improbable and inconsistent. I assumed that the premise, involving what is very clearly magic, meant that they had decided to be explicitly supernatural for the crossover installment, and that using Layton's writers would at least mean the plot would hang together like they do most of the time in Layton and Ghost Trick.

Turns out not! Even worse, you have to work out the idiotic twists during a court case which means the player has to decide that yes, the game is going to be that stupid. You aren't supposed to combine the worst features of both games when you do a crossover!

So Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright ended up disappointing. As I've mentioned, my biggest problem with the Layton games is their tendency to present themselves as a mystery, but explain the improbable with something significantly more improbable and inconsistent. I assumed that the premise, involving what is very clearly magic, meant that they had decided to be explicitly supernatural for the crossover installment, and that using Layton's writers would at least mean the plot would hang together like they do most of the time in Layton and Ghost Trick.

Turns out not! Even worse, you have to work out the idiotic twists during a court case which means the player has to decide that yes, the game is going to be that stupid. You aren't supposed to combine the worst features of both games when you do a crossover!

I don't know, that sounds kind of great to me.  I like that the "logical" explanations in Layton games are even more absurd than what you think they're going to be.  Working that stuff out in a crazy Phoenix Wright courtroom sounds like exactly what I want.

I just don't understand you people.

That sounds like Lost.  Mystery written by people who don't understand normal mystery so they equate it with being confused and random.

There's an entire UI dedicated to tracking the ongoing mysteries in Layton games that fills at essentially random points in the plot, and tracking it is pointless anyway because it's not like remembering the clues will help.

If this weren't on the official Pokémon Youtube channel, I would suspect it of being fake. Apparently these are coming in November, so it seems weird that there's absolutely no gameplay or music or anything in the trailer. I'm glad that they're finally remaking these, given that the originals are the worst of the series and definitely needed a second attempt. I just hope that they don't make half the overworld water routes again.

This is gonna' be a long, frustrating wait.

Why is omega before alpha? Are they trying to piss off everyone with even the slightest OCD? 

This doesn't interest me as much as SS and HG did. I'll probably get them anyway though.

Now this poses a dilemma for me. I recently started my quest to go through every Pokemon game and collect all Pokemon from each gen and I don't know if I can wait till November to start these remakes as I'll probably be done with FR/LG and HG/SS within the next few months. Either way, I will definitely get these but I think I'll have to go through them first on the GBA so I can keep up my momentum.

Why is omega before alpha? Are they trying to piss off everyone with even the slightest OCD? 

Probably just because omega sounds cooler and thus should be attached to the more popular Groudon.

Zeus: I'm gonna' strongly recommend waiting for the remakes just because the third generation games are the most noticeably unbalanced ones.

I sort of hope that Norman is still ludicrously overpowered, just 'cause.

Wow until you made the comment about it being legit I totally thought this was fake. Yeah I'm definitely getting sapphire

High res versions of the EU boxart. Note the red and blue plastic boxes. If they finally bring back coloured cartridges to match, I might buy a physical game for the first time in a year.

Interesting to note: I can't see much different in Groudon, but Kyogre definitely didn't have all of those lines running across its back and forehead. Maybe they're new Mega Evolutions?

EH5lMte.jpg

fUOqm3c.jpg

I'm not terribly excited for these, simply because Ruby and Sapphire were where I sort of lost interest in Pokemon... I still haven't finished them, even though I still have a copy of Ruby. But maybe that's all the more reason to get these? So I can finally finish it?

This and Black/White are the only generations of pokemon I have never experienced. I suppose I should give these a try...

I bought Ruby and never got around to playing to playing it. God my backlog is just the worst.

I am one of those NPCs in the beginning of the game that failed to get anywhere and new players beat the crap out of with their starter Pokémon.

I wore shorts for the past six months. They're comfy and easy to wear.

This and Black/White are the only generations of pokemon I have never experienced.

Me too! Although I doubt I'll ever go play them. I know what a Pokemon game is. I know I'll like it, and I know I'll create a fantastic team on paper, only to get sick of breeding pokemon with shitty IVs (terrible mechanic) and quit.

B/W is the best series, closely followed by R/B.

Ruby and Sapphire was so awful though. It wasn't just the world, but also the team rocket story is so stupid. worst of the series in my eyes.

You're so wrong it's painful. Obviously the real answer is G/S followed by R/B. Some people's ignorance astounds me. 

Also Yellow was amazing.