Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I'm curious, in what sense was FEA not what you expected?

It's not a JRPG for one thing!

I want several 3DS games, but they are never on sale and I'm trying not to spend so much on video games these days.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is apparently just what the doctor ordered, in that it's a Phoenix Wright game where the investigation portions are polished and interesting, and the Layton portions don't pretend to be a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Things are straight-up supernatural, magic exists, and it has rules that Phoenix can cite in court. Like most recent Phoenix Wright games there's a gimmick - specifically, the witnesses are now a mob, and you have to play them off against each other on occasion, but it's always obvious when you're supposed to do this. Like the other gimmicks, it's a cute way to involve the themes but the cross-examination mechanic really doesn't need a lot as it is.

I'm curious, in what sense was FEA not what you expected?

I think it's my fault mostly. The game had some really solid mechanics, I loved some battles and etc., but I was wrong by thinking this would be similar to Persona 4 in terms of character development.

I think my expectations were too high regarding the story, I wasn't too involved by it, by any of the characters. And while I really enjoyed the gameplay, I felt a bit tired by the end because of the huge and long battles.

I don't know, I think I'm getting old and enjoying shorter games more than I thought I would.

Luigi's Mansion is so great. I played it last summer during downtime while camping. I have no idea why nature made the game better, but it did. 

Play that game in the woods. 

I think I might finally buy a 3DS. Pokemon, Ocarina 3d, A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, and now the new Smash Bros without having to buy a Wii-U.

My main problem is, local multiplayer is kinda what makes Smash Bros, well, Smash Bros. Who knows maybe it'll be another Brawl and I won't care.

I'm bothered by the 90's era voice synthesising. We can do a lot better these days, Nintendo. I have a nice Australian lady trapped in my phone.

Fuck, I had zero interest in this tomodachi thing, but this video is just too glorious to ignore. Now I need to buy it.

3bMY4gf.gif

I am immediately sold on Tomodachi Life.

Is...is that Reggie?!

I never knew he was so ripped, but I always expected as much.

Is...is that Reggie?!

I never knew he was so ripped, but I always expected as much.

His body, as they say, is ready.

Looking for recommendations on my next big time sink. Already played fire emblem, zelda, and animal crossing, currently going through Bravely Default and loving it. Looked at Rune Factory 4, maybe mario golf when that releases, anything else?

Not a huge game, but Pushmo is good. Ghost recon is pretty decent if you like TBS games. 

The new Pokemon is worth a shot too! 

I'm sure there's more great games, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty good, too, although if they somehow explain away all this supernatural stuff like the Layton games enjoy doing I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

Pokémon and Super Mario 3D Land were the two biggest 3DS games for me that aren't on your list. I want to recommend Paper Mario since there's a lot of RPGs on that list, but it's not nearly as good as classic Paper Mario.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty good, too, although if they somehow explain away all this supernatural stuff like the Layton games enjoy doing I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

The best part of the Layton games is that the reasonable explanation is always somehow even less believable than magic.

"We built a complete replica of London and hidden underneath the real London, populated with thousands of actors who never break character."

The best part of the Layton games is that the reasonable explanation is always somehow even less believable than magic.

"We spoiled one of the Layton games."

I guess our mileage may vary because that very example was what made me quit the series. I understand the fourth one had an RPG? Don't give a shit, not falling for it again. The movie was just as bad; we had a video game movie night and watched Advent Children, the Layton movie and the Phoenix Wright adaptation, and the Phoenix Wright one was the only one we thought was half-decent. Goofy as hell, yes, but it was still fun.

(Also guys my version has the UK voice actor for Luke who can actually do a convincing and appealing kid voice, it's rad)

Advent Children was garbage. So, so bad. Not even the fun kind of bad, where you wonder where the fuck it's going to stumble next. No, there'll probably be pointless, weightless swordfighting.

I recently rewatched Advent Children because I vaguely recalled enjoying it when it came out. It was horrendous. A tedious slog filled with nonsensival exposition and pointless, drawn-out action. I actually enjoyed watching the Layton film but of the three, faults and all, Phoenix Wright is at least the most entertaining (even if I wouldn't call it a good movie, it's a bit too soulless for that).

Mario Golf: World Tour. Reviews are fair to good. Quite interested in it. May perch it this week.

The season pass feels a bit ... uncharacteristic, especially after New Leaf, but it's Mario Golf.

Mario Golf: World Tour. Reviews are fair to good. Quite interested in it. May perch it this week.

The season pass feels a bit ... uncharacteristic, especially after New Leaf, but it's Mario Golf.

I'm eyeing the heck out of Mario Golf. The season pass thing is weird, but it adds a TON of new stuff, and the game is only $30 retail anyway, so it's not that bad. The online tourneys seem like they could be really fun and keep me hooked.