Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Oh man. Tegan, thanks for the recommend on Friday night monsters. I spent 2 hours on a train playing it today. It is so bloody charming and then suddenly insane. I am loving it.

Speaking of the Guild series, the one game from the Guild 01 collection that hadn't been localized was actually just released, now fully localized, on the eShop outside of Japan.

"Weapon Shop De Omasse" is the name, but i haven't played it.

In honour of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright's release in 5 days, the first Professor Layton 3DS game (Miracle Mask) and the recent download-only Ace Attorney game (Dual Destinies) are currently 30% off in the PAL eShop. It's good to see the new game fiinally getting a western release (I remember seeing the first trailer in 2010), but I haven't actually played much of the Ace Attorney series. I wonder how much backstory knowledge it will expect.

It's annoying that the eShop doesn't even let you buy a game unless you have enough space to download it immediately. I've been meaning to grab a bigger SD card, but now I'd better do that before the sale ends in a few days.

Wait, wait, ack! What?

Oh, okay. There's no confirmed release date for NA, which is a little concerning if it's nearly out elsewhere.

In europe, is it going to be a retail or digital release?

Oh, whoops, I read 28th and assumed it meant this month, but it looks like it's March. It's been confirmed for NA, so I imagine they'll announce a date soon.

In europe, is it going to be a retail or digital release?

Looks like it's a full retail release. That's a shame, if it was digital only it would presumably have been $20-30 cheaper, like Dual Destinies.

Oh man. Tegan, thanks for the recommend on Friday night monsters. I spent 2 hours on a train playing it today. It is so bloody charming and then suddenly insane. I am loving it.

It's so great. Let me know what you think when you're finished with it.

^this basically. I beat the game but have some chapters that aren't complete. I tried for a while, but I couldn't do anything more so I called it a day. I wish there were other Millennium Kitchen games localized.

^this basically. I beat the game but have some chapters that aren't complete. I tried for a while, but I couldn't do anything more so I called it a day. I wish there were other Millennium Kitchen games localized.

There's more to do in the postgame, but it pretty much all involves playing the card game over and over so I kind of stopped too. I didn't want such a wonderful experience to be soured.

Finished last night. I loved it so much. I'm not going to bother with grinding a post game, as leaving the loose ends in there seems well within the tone they have set (I don't think I ever even delivered the laundry). I might potter around a bit though to talk to people some more.

My most favorite thing in the game was the little village they built up. It was the perfect place for a kid to explore - odd adults, new kids to play with, train tracks that must never be crossed, spooky pipes. I also loved the ambiguity of what the adults were telling you, most especially the TV producer. I nearly want to see her lines alone,

taken without the context of the giant monster attacks, just to see how they read. The question of wether the father was an actor, an alien or a superhero was also awesome.

One loose end I was a little disappointed in was

the other transfer student S-chan(?). Her story thread didn't go anywhere that I could see.

I might just go ahead and replay to see what I can dig out of it with some knowledge of what is to come.

I've been playing Crimson Shroud as well. Really cool as well. I'm only on Act 2, so i don't have much to say at the moment.

I'm not sure if I posted this here, but I beat Rune Factory 4 for the second time. Apparently there's still a third story arc, I haven't gotten married yet, and I have a ways to go before I finish all the of the requests. There's well over $40 worth of content here, well worth it if you're a fan of Harvest Moon with a little action RPG in there.

If anyone out there with a 3DS, 3DS XL, or 2DS, doesn't have Pokémon X or Y, and owns or plans to buy one of these games

• Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Yoshi's New Island

you can register the console and one of those games on the Club Nintendo website during the month of March to get a download code for a free copy of X or Y.

http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-pokemon-promo/

Edit: Forgot to mention it's US and Canada only

Finished up Friday Monsters. What a weird little game. My one criticism of it is that the game feeds the player some info on what's really happening, but then the other information comes through the lens of Sohta, so I was kind of confused as to what was actually going on in some moments because of what the game was feeding me vs. what Sohta was. That's obviously a central theme of the game, but the way it's handled with the game sending me short snippets, vs lengthy sections before Sohta figures it out is a little unnecessarily confusing. I'd have preferred it ALL been through Sohta's perspective. 

I finished it up last night.  I agree that viewing things from a single perspective would have been less confusing and Sohta's would have made it more interesting.  I really want to tie up the loose ends but I don't like the idea of playing the card game a million times, so I'm stopping here.  I also completely agree with Dibs about the village, it seems like a great setting for an imaginative kid to wander around.

I just read a preview of Kirby: Triple Deluxe here, and really want it.

It's also another game to join the ranks of pointlessly crowbarring in '3D' into their title. There is admittedly less of this on the 3DS than there were on the DS though (for 'DS', not '3D').

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is the worst for this. 

Finished Starship Damrey last night.

Fun little game with a cool initial conceit (controlling the robots from a cryopod), but it does end up kinda not delivering on the promise of the robot selection screen which teases like 10 robots, but you only ever really control one. This gets explained a bit in the endgame narrative, but it's still disappointing.

The cutscenes starring the robot are really at odds thematically with the rest of the game. Why they thought making them super comical was a good idea I don't understand, it really undermines the tone of the narrative and game play sections. If they had played the game more straight up horror I think they could have had something really special.

Also I think they game would have been better with more restrictive movement kinda Grimrock style, that or a way to strafe. Too many times I would be going down a corridor and turn say left for a door only to be a step short and staring half at a wall and half at the door, turn right move forward one tick, turn left again to use the door. That's shitty.

Still for the 3 bucks I paid for it it was absolutely worth the price.

I beat Starship Damrey last night as well.

I disagree about the robot selection screen. I think it fits in with that whole first section in the sleep pod, it helps set the tone of the status of the ship.

I do agree about the cutscenes though.

Unfortunately I only got 19/20 leeches, so I didn't unlock the last profile. Quick post-game spoiler question though:

Nick said that there were 3 Keplarians. There's you and the one that dies in front of you in the lab. Where's the third? I'm presuming the one in the lab is the one that was hurt? Is the third the one that went crazy and killed everyone?

Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. It's a great 3 hours and really showcases what a decent writer can do with a confined space and limited interaction. 

Back when i played it, i had said that it really reminded me of a sci-fi episode of an anthology series like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

Really loved it a lot.

I beat Starship Damrey last night as well.

I disagree about the robot selection screen. I think it fits in with that whole first section in the sleep pod, it helps set the tone of the status of the ship.

I do agree about the cutscenes though.

Unfortunately I only got 19/20 leeches, so I didn't unlock the last profile. Quick post-game spoiler question though:

Nick said that there were 3 Keplarians. There's you and the one that dies in front of you in the lab. Where's the third? I'm presuming the one in the lab is the one that was hurt? Is the third the one that went crazy and killed everyone?

Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. It's a great 3 hours and really showcases what a decent writer can do with a confined space and limited interaction. 

I can see what you mean about the robot screen, i just got this idea in my head about puzzles that required multiple robots to solve and such that I was looking forward too.

I had 19/20 at what was obviously the end too, so I looked up a list, the one I missed was in

navigation, I think it was called, where you find the robot that needs a battery, and when you turn it on gravity turns off and you float up to the main bride. Because i just activated the robot i missed the leech in that room.

As for the

3rd keplarian, I don't recall them covering that either. a quick search has someone on the GameFAQs boards saying there was a text log somewhere that mentioned it being sent out the airlock, but I don't remember that at all.

Back when i played it, i had said that it really reminded me of a sci-fi episode of an anthology series like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

Really loved it a lot.

Totally, which is why those weird cutscenes are so disappointing. They were so close to nailing it completely.

I hope it came across in my first post but I do fully recommend this game I really enjoyed the majority of it.

Having first bought it many months ago just after my 3DS, I finally sat down and played Starship Damrey yesterday thanks to this thread. Squid Division's mention that it's only 3 hours long was a particular motivator, since lately I'm much more likely to invest time in a game if I know I'll actually get to see the whole thing. Kinda makes me want to start a short games thread...

It's interesting that, although it's almost totally linear and there aren't really any systems to play with, I found manually controlling the robot a lot more engaging than the same story and puzzles in a point-and-click adventure would have been. This "engagement through mechanical interaction" reminded me a lot of Gone Home, and makes me wish more adventure games used direct control systems. I guess it doesn't always work, though; I gave up on The Cave after a couple of hours of slow and pointless ladder climbing to get between the good parts, which made me wish that game had just been point and click.

I had to check a walkthrough for one part in Starship Damrey because of a common problem I have with adventure games, where I know almost exactly what I want to do but not how the game will let me do it. In this case,

I knew I had to mix the three chemicals to destroy the debris, but didn't notice the container in the pile even after checking two or three times.

Anyway, the setting and story were great. I also loved the chunky low-poly design of the ship, which reminded me a lot of the Riddick and especially System Shock games.

Yeah I got stuck on the same part.

I agree on short games. I made a spreadsheet of all the games I'm actually interested in starting and finishing, then looked up how long they'd probably take, and just started going through the shortest ones. Problem is, there aren't very many that are less than 10 hours, which is kind of ridiculous.

Yesterday was festivale in my town in Animal Crossing. It was fantastic. Best event in AC so far.

Also my A button has stopped being responsive. This is making it very hard to do game. :(

So if Mighty No 9 wasn't enough, Inti Creates and Keiji Inafune are also doing this for the 3DS.

I'm just going to pretend i didn't see anything about a nonsense plot in that video and instead focus on the fact that it looks like another really solid action platformer from Inti Creates.

Finally finished Fire Emblem (the story only, not the paralogues). It was good, but not exactly what I was expecting. I think that after playing Persona 4: The Golden, maybe I'm expecting too much out of JRPGS when it comes to characters. Maybe I should replay it with the permadeath on - will be so painful - but don't feel like doing it right now.

I also bought Luigi's Mansion and I'm loving it! It's so refreshing, specially because I never played the first game. I'm really loving the more paced gameplay, using different mechanics to solve puzzles, it feels very unique.