Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Seen a lot of conversations about min-maxing TES games and stuff, that always makes me cringe. 

Yeah...I have a buddy who liked to push Skyrim to the limis then complained about the results. Even with the slightest nudge that game crumbled. 

Ninjas are about as broken as you can get in the western version of BD. It's a shame, they look so cool!

BDFFtizninja.jpg

BDFF_Agn%C3%A8s_Ninja.png

Yeah...I have a buddy who liked to push Skyrim to the limis then complained about the results. Even with the slightest nudge that game crumbled. 

Skyrim's nothing compared to Morrowind, where you could brew a potion to fortify your intelligence, and then make a stronger fortify intelligence potion while under the effect of the first.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, and then make whatever brokenly overpowered potions you can think of. (That would potentially last for hours!)

Well in Oblivion you could enchant your gear and get 100% chameleon and then just walk around and kill people, or just go into the portals and just walk to the end.

That was also in Morrowind, they just didn't fix it.

There's also that whole thing in those two games about how focusing on your selected major skills was actually a detriment to your character's growth.

Skyrim didn't dumb down its mechanics, it pulled out a system that never worked right.

I think Morrowind tried to warn you though. Wandering in to the swap outside the starting town got you that hilarious falling from the sky guy, who dies instantly and leaves you some very helpful ridiculous jumping scrolls...

800px-MW-quest-A_Falling_Wizard_02.jpg

Forget Chameleon armor, levitate and fortify speed armor was the hot shit. FLY EVERYWHERE SUPER FAST

Literal Boots Of Blinding Speed! Loves it.

I can't articulate how disappointment I was when i leveled up my sneak in skyrim only to find there was no back doors to sneak into the buildings:(

Edit: Obviously I can't English how disappointment I was either.

I know this in nothing new but it makes me crazy how bad Nintendo is handling the 3DS eShop especially in Europe. Is there a problem to put DS and Advance on the eShop?

They have some Advance games for the ambassador program. Don't you want my money Nintendo? 

It is definitely very strange, after promising GBA games on the 3DS VC for so long, that they're going to do it on the Wii U's VC instead. I guess those ambassador games are just going to stay as weird, random exclusives.

As for downloads of DS games, that's also a good question, since the 3DS is hardware compatible with DS releases and the 3DS eShop already sells downloadable games from the DSi's own store. Instead, Nintendo has been talking about selling DS games, again, on Wii U's VC.

So yeah, Nintendo does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense. You'd almost think that Nintendo has deluded themselves into thinking that those will be huge selling points for the Wii U.

Hell, and i'm kind of terrified by how much Nintendo's diving into digital business before any of their patently obvious infrastructure problems are sorted. I mean, the new account infrastructure is largely cosmetic. Underneath it, nothing has changed, your purchases still tie into hardware exclusively. So if you don't, yourself, run that license transfer app, don't expect to keep anything. Don't even expect to keep your account, apparently, because i've been told multiple stories stating that it can't be untethered and affixed to a new system outside of the aformentioned transfer process. Even if you replace your hardware through the manufacturer warranty! This is a terrifying prospect for anybody who ends up buying a lot of stuff digitally on Nintendo platforms. (Nintendo's support solution seems to be create a facsimile of your old account and purchase library for you, or to refund your purchases. So even in that best case scenario, your save games are still fucked.)

Nevermind that Virtual Console also completely needs to become a more unified service if Nintendo wants it to continue to exist. Even if there was some weird subscription i could pay to just have unlimited access to everything in there? Like a netflix? That would be incredible. Failing that, how about the things i paid for just work in the different emulation packages Nintendo has for each platform? How about they also stop being so weirdly stingy with releases? Nobody wants Urban Champion Nintendo, stop trying to slowly force feed your early catalogue, you're only hurting your own business.

Yep, the NES games I've bought on 3DS should be available to me on Wii U. Their current infrastructure is just nonsense. 

It is definitely very strange, after promising GBA games on the 3DS VC for so long, that they're going to do it on the Wii U's VC instead. I guess those ambassador games are just going to stay as weird, random exclusives.

Not to be a butt, but this is the exact opposite of what they've said in the past. When the Ambassador program was announced, they specifically said that they had no intention of bringing 3DS GBA games to non-ambassadors, and GBA games on Wii U VC was a confirmed feature very early on.

I was under the impression that it was that they said that they had no intention of bringing 3DS GBA games to non-ambassadors anytime soon. Not that it isn't a viable option.

I also just got an email with my Super Mario Bros. Deluxe code. Whoooooo!

Not to be a butt, but this is the exact opposite of what they've said in the past. When the Ambassador program was announced, they specifically said that they had no intention of bringing 3DS GBA games to non-ambassadors, and GBA games on Wii U VC was a confirmed feature very early on.

I can find stories with information and quotes telling the story both ways, it definitely seems like Nintendo never really made up its mind on the matter.

I know this in nothing new but it makes me crazy how bad Nintendo is handling the 3DS eShop especially in Europe. Is there a problem to put DS and Advance on the eShop?

They have some Advance games for the ambassador program. Don't you want my money Nintendo? 

As for downloads of DS games, that's also a good question, since the 3DS is hardware compatible with DS releases and the 3DS eShop already sells downloadable games from the DSi's own store. Instead, Nintendo has been talking about selling DS games, again, on Wii U's VC.

So yeah, Nintendo does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense. You'd almost think that Nintendo has deluded themselves into thinking that those will be huge selling points for the Wii U.

Hell, and i'm kind of terrified by how much Nintendo's diving into digital business before any of their patently obvious infrastructure problems are sorted. I mean, the new account infrastructure is largely cosmetic. Underneath it, nothing has changed, your purchases still tie into hardware exclusively. So if you don't, yourself, run that license transfer app, don't expect to keep anything. Don't even expect to keep your account, apparently, because i've been told multiple stories stating that it can't be untethered and affixed to a new system outside of the aformentioned transfer process. Even if you replace your hardware through the manufacturer warranty! This is a terrifying prospect for anybody who ends up buying a lot of stuff digitally on Nintendo platforms. (Nintendo's support solution seems to be create a facsimile of your old account and purchase library for you, or to refund your purchases. So even in that best case scenario, your save games are still fucked.)

Nevermind that Virtual Console also completely needs to become a more unified service if Nintendo wants it to continue to exist. Even if there was some weird subscription i could pay to just have unlimited access to everything in there? Like a netflix? That would be incredible. Failing that, how about the things i paid for just work in the different emulation packages Nintendo has for each platform? How about they also stop being so weirdly stingy with releases? Nobody wants Urban Champion Nintendo, stop trying to slowly force feed your early catalogue, you're only hurting your own business.

They need a proper, modern, platform agnostic account system big time. That being said even with their current system I would love to be able to pay a small fee to get digital copies of the physical 3DS games I already own. I have come to realize that I would really like to just have everything installed on my SD card for instant access, but I'm certainly not gonna pay full retail price again for that privilege (also why are the digital versions full price! Yuck!).

Regarding the VC stuff, it is my understanding that there is no generalized "emulation package" for each platform. Each game is done individually to ensure accurate emulation, I'm sure there is some shared stuff (though I think they contract a lot of VC programming work to third parties who probably don't share) but it's not just a wrapper they throw a ROM in.

That being said I think part of the solution to fixing the reputation of their digital service, and maybe boosting Wii U sales, should be a generalized emulation solution on current platforms (within processing power reason) tied with a monthly fee PS+ style service that gets you access to the entire VC library on every device tied to your Club Nintendo (keep the good branding NNID is clumsy) account. Games using the general emu. would be labeled somehow to differentiate them from the titles that have been "tuned". Maybe gold and silver or something. The big problem then comes from licensing, but considering the low cost of entry it doesn't seem like many publishers wouldn't get on board. Turn the 3DS and especially the Wii U into your one stop shop for Nintendo related nostalgia.

Can you imagine a world where the Wii U got re-launched and re-branded (or launched) as the NEW Nintendo Entertainment System alongside that Club Nintendo online service!

Regarding paying a fee for a digital version of a card game, what would stop you from getting a game, getting the digital copy, then selling the game to someone else who doesn't care about having a digital copy? Also I personally don't mind paying full price for digital, I would probably even pay a little more just to not have to deal with cartridges.

Can you imagine a world where the Wii U got re-launched and re-branded (or launched) as the NEW Nintendo Entertainment System alongside that Club Nintendo online service!

I can; it would look a lot like the current world, in that a few people would be very interested in the new Nintendo system but the majority of people don't care.

Regarding paying a fee for a digital version of a card game, what would stop you from getting a game, getting the digital copy, then selling the game to someone else who doesn't care about having a digital copy? Also I personally don't mind paying full price for digital, I would probably even pay a little more just to not have to deal with cartridges.

I certainly recognize that the "piracy" issue is there, but at some point you just have to accept a few losses. maybe you would only be eligible if you registered the unique Club Nintendo code from a game or something.  In a perfect world the 3DS would have been designed from the start with the ability to install retail purchased games and "disable" the cart or the ability to get more installs out of it somehow.

Also considering the downsides of Ns digital services I do think it's a bit presumptuous to ask full retail price for the digital version, they are asking the same price for something that holds demonstrably less value. On something like steam or PSN this is mitigated by having access to my software on any device quickly and easily etc. the value lost from not being able to share or resell your game is returned in another way.

At least for me.

I can; it would look a lot like the current world, in that a few people would be very interested in the new Nintendo system but the majority of people don't care.

I'm certainly day dreaming a bit there :)

That being said nostalgia is, it seems, good business in the games industry. I didn't include it in that last post but in my fantasy they also drop the gamepad and lower the price significantly, but dropping the gamepad is fairly controversial so I deiced to leave it be.

I think a lot of people that don't see the value in last gen hardware and the gamepad, would see value in an all-in-one retro game machine with Nintendo first party games. I'm not trying to imply it would "win the fight" for Nintendo or anything. Just that it would represent a much better value to (many, I think) more consumers.

The gamepad is so perfect for Virtual Console, though. I don't want to live in a world where I can't play Earthbound on the toilet.

Also, considering how quickly the Neo Geo X keeled over, dedicated retro consoles probably aren't a very viable market.

The gamepad is so perfect for Virtual Console, though. I don't want to live in a world where I can't play Earthbound on the toilet.

Also, considering how quickly the Neo Geo X keeled over, dedicated retro consoles probably aren't a very viable market.

I totally get the appeal of the gamepad, I do.

As for the NeoGeo X that thing was not very good for a number of reasons, and NeoGeo titles are WAY more niche than Nintendo. How many people have fond memories of sitting on the floor Saturday morning playing their NeoGeo? :P

(Answer: Rich people, the NeoGeo cost $650 when it launched. That's over $1100 in today's money.)

Also I wasn't suggesting it only play VC games, just that the subscription based VC I pitched would be a big selling point. I still want my SM3DW, and WiiU zelda.

It's all a pipe dream anyway, N doubled down on the Gamepad at that investor thing a few weeks back, and basically said that they will have a better account system someday and all their future systems will support it. Which seemed like a PR speak way of saying it wont happen on current hardware. 

It's all a pipe dream anyway, N doubled down on the Gamepad at that investor thing a few weeks back, and basically said that they will have a better account system someday and all their future systems will support it. Which seemed like a PR speak way of saying it wont happen on current hardware. 

That's sad. This was one of the reasons why I hesitated buying a 3DS, because I make a lot of my purchases digitally on PC and handheld games in US are 1/3 cheaper than in Brazil, so it's better to buy in the US store. Also, I don't think I have the patience to deal with reselling/trading my games online, I'd rather just keep the thing, even if I don't enjoy it so much. They surely need a better account system, saving all the transactions you made and not linking them to the hardware, like everyone else do.

Anyway, I logged to say I'm in love with Fire Emblem. The game started to get really difficult and I needed to rethink my strategy and understand it's mechanics better. Yesterday I finally won a battle without a single casualty and it felt awesome.  But today I made a couple of silly mistakes and lost some lifes on the process. I want to replay this game on the normal mode, with permadeath, so I need to focus on this.

I just am in doubt with whom I should marry my main character. I was thinking about Cordelia, they are such a beast together in battles, but I've learned that Cordelia has some kind of never ending love with Chrom, and I don't a poor and unhappy life for my main character, he's great, don't deserve it. I heard that Lucina is also a great character to marry because of the skills of their children, but it will be kinda weird marrying the newborn child of my best friend. I don't know, I think I might be thinking too much about the story and not being rational about the benefits of this wedding mechanic haha.