Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

OK, got to the next part of Rune Factory, and it seems like it's going to be pretty intresting. Unfortunately, I'm crazy overleveled since I've been trying to force my way through a much higher level area, so most of the enemies die in a hit or two. On the plus side, I'm way behind in upgrading my armor, so at least I still need to be careful to avoid attacks.

Rune Factory sounds like fun. Kinda reminds me of recettear in a way.

Been looking at UK releases, and the highest pre-ordered game is Senran Kagura Burst.  Has anyone played this and can vouch for the goodness of this game? Or is it just 3D titties? Coz you know... I have DOA dimensions for that... ¬_¬

Rune Factory sounds like fun. Kinda reminds me of recettear in a way.

There's a 3ds game called Hometown Story which is basically Harvest Moon with only shop management. It has a fair share of jankiness, as many of the Natsume games do, but it's apparently enjoyable enough if you can get past those issues.

I'm having a similar experience with Rune Factory 4. I feel like I'm farther along in the narrative/adventuring than I should be, considering how little of the year I've been through. I feel like I'm "supposed" to be spending more time farming / crafting, but there isn't really much farming to be done. I think it's paced a little oddly in that regard, but it makes sense that there's "post-game" content, plus you're probably supposed to just keep plugging at it to 100% the crafting and everything.

If there's not much field farming to do, you can go and farm enemies for crafting loot. Once I started to get some targets of exactly what items/armors I wanted to craft for myself, that monster hunter itch of tracking down the right enemy to get the item I need to make this super cool hammer. If I have RP left and nothing to do, I generally spend it either fishing or improving a set of crappy armor just for the skill increase.

For the Bravely Default players out there:

Has anyone bothered to get all the Genome abilities for the vampire class? I feel like I should, since I like the idea of the class, but it seems so incredibly tedious that it's putting me off playing. 

If anyone has...was it worth it?

Zelda Four Swords Anniversary is available again for free from the eShop until February 2nd. Better get it now before Nintendo makes it unavailable for years again!

Editted for my stupidity

So, four different people pick it up and then network? Do you need a WiiU or something to get the TV portions?

Four Swords Anniversary is a DSi-ware remake of the GBA game that had originally been packed in with the GBA's LTTP remake. (I don't believe the original Four Swords is a very good game, it's very sluggish and simple.)

This is not a new version of the GC's awesome Four Swords Adventure.

I actually just picked up Rune Factory 4 the other day, Harvest Moon being one of my favorite series. I really didn't like it. It's like... too much going on? But also not enough? I'd wake up for a day, check the quest board, do the one quest I'm allowed to do, water my plants in like forty seconds then...

I don't think the game does a very good job of giving you goals or missions or anything, there's not enough direction to the thing. With Harvest Moon, every single day I wake up and I've got layers of goals: short-term stockpile that one mountain berry my girl likes so long term I can marry her; short-term chop trees so long term I can upgrade my house; short term tend my crops so medium term I can buy a bag upgrade. There's a rhythm at the heart of the good Harvest Moon games that I just didn't feel in Rune Factory. I accomplish the couple things I'm allowed to do but I'm not given anything to aspire to so there's no drive.

After playing Rune Factory 4 on-and-off for a week, I just dug out my SP and old copy of Friends of Mineral Town. Oh well.

Zelda Four Swords Anniversary is available again for free from the eShop until February 2nd. Better get it now before Nintendo makes it unavailable for years again!

US only, sadly.

If you've had your DS for a while, there'a fair chance you have it already. I think they might've also given it to early adopters as part of their "we're sorry about the price drop" program.

If you've had your DS for a while, there'a fair chance you have it already. I think they might've also given it to early adopters as part of their "we're sorry about the price drop" program.

It was available for a while as part of the Zelda 25th anniversary thing a few years back.

I actually just picked up Rune Factory 4 the other day, Harvest Moon being one of my favorite series. I really didn't like it. It's like... too much going on? But also not enough? I'd wake up for a day, check the quest board, do the one quest I'm allowed to do, water my plants in like forty seconds then...

I don't think the game does a very good job of giving you goals or missions or anything, there's not enough direction to the thing. With Harvest Moon, every single day I wake up and I've got layers of goals: short-term stockpile that one mountain berry my girl likes so long term I can marry her; short-term chop trees so long term I can upgrade my house; short term tend my crops so medium term I can buy a bag upgrade. There's a rhythm at the heart of the good Harvest Moon games that I just didn't feel in Rune Factory. I accomplish the couple things I'm allowed to do but I'm not given anything to aspire to so there's no drive.

After playing Rune Factory 4 on-and-off for a week, I just dug out my SP and old copy of Friends of Mineral Town. Oh well.

Missions from the quest box are the goals for the most part. Once you get to the point where you can do 2 or 3 a day, things start picking up. I'm at the point now where most of my missions are multiday affairs with multiple steps and a lot of work. Also, getting a lot of crafting tables gives you plenty of ways to spend the rest of your RP before you go to bed. I was feeling kinda dissapointed at the beginning as well, but I'm really into it now and am about to beat the second act of the story.

How far are you in the actual story, has Venti sent you out to start doing dungeons yet?

How far are you in the actual story, has Venti sent you out to start doing dungeons yet?

Not sure. I've rescued Butterfly Babe, Horse Homie, and entered the Black Mansion. I was liking hanging out with Forte in spookytowne.

The other wierd thing about the game is the dating throws me off; all the moms and older ladies are buxom and showing décolletage; all the eligible bachelorettes are... children? Actually makes me sort of uncomfortable.

I dunno. Got that Bravely Default on the horizon anyway, that guy'll pop all other carts out of all of my machines.

If you aren't planning to play Four Swords 20th Anniversary Edition, you can also download it as an investment. There was a time when people were selling DSis and 3DSs on ebay that had Four Swords 20th already installed so that you could use it in a system transfer.

So far I haven't found the dating to be a major focus of the game. I just finally got a GF (Forte in fact) in mid fall. The Black mansion is about when it started to click for me, but I definitely don't think it's a game for everyone. Parts of it are very deep, and others are really shallow.

Minster hunter is on sale in Europe at the moment.

Which mega man should I get on the virtual console?

What are the choices?

1-3 are the best ones, 4-6 just rehash 3.

2's my personal favorite.

The gameboy series does a few interesting things over the course of its run, but mostly it's just rehashing the NES games for GB.

Minster hunter is on sale in Europe at the moment.

Minster Hunter, the game in which you fight churches with a sword the size of a fridge. :P
Also I'm fairly certain that sale is happening in th US as well MH3U is $20 on the eShop right now.

1-3 are the best ones, 4-6 just rehash 3.

2's my personal favorite.

The gameboy series does a few interesting things over the course of its run, but mostly it's just rehashing the NES games for GB.

I was not a fan of the OG MegaMan games for a long time, but just recently I went an played a few hours of MM2 (I've heard its the best from a lot of fans) and I think I just didn't have the patience for them when I was younger but I really enjoyed what I played the other day.

So I guess I would recommend MM2?

If the matter needs any further convincing, Keiji Inafune has also repeatedly asserted that Megaman 2 is his favorite Megaman game.

People I trust to know say that Mega Man 2 is the best one, closely followed by Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 9. They also recommend Mega Man X. (That is, the first SNES game.)

Megaman 9 is fantastic, it definitely feels like years of pent up ideas from guys who hadn't been allowed to make a game like that for a long time. There's a lot of devious stuff in that game that is kind of specifically there to fuck with knowledgeable players of Megaman games, it's really great. Megaman 10, however, feels like "Now let's go do it again." (Also, 7 and Megaman & Bass are both pretty under appreciated, but 8 is awful. Like, beautiful to look at, but awful to play.)

Megaman X, on the other hand, i think is overall the best Megaman game, and it's probably the first one i'd tell somebody to go play. The SNES X games, that's the first three, are all really great. The later PSX and PS2 games are wildly uneven. (Ranging from pretty alright to worst-in-franchise, sometimes in the same game.)

Also, like the classic series, X had its own Gameboy spin-off series.

Then there's the Zero series and the ZX series, and that still doesn't cover all the Megaman platformers.