Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

It's a huge shame that the european localization was just cancelled. (Seemingly over complications with the Japanese developer having shut down only a few weeks ago.)

Well that's a massive bummer.

It sucks, but i have a hard time singling Nintendo out for it when it's been industry standard for so long. Yes, you can point out other examples where region locking hasn't been implemented, but it simply isn't as common as when it is. If you play console games, you definitely already own a lot of systems that are region locked.

It's certainly possible, triggers tend to be the first thing to go on DS's. Though I'd say it's probably more likely that you're finding the timing of the press troublesome, i had trouble with it at first too.

I beat the next two bosses with no problems, so I guess it was just a blind spot I had with that particular stage of that boss. I also figured out that I'm way ahead of my request box, because I got through another 10 days or so of requests and I'm just now getting tutorials on using special moves, taking monsters with you to fight, etc. I've been doing the max number of requests pretty much every day, but I think I've been doing the non-critical-path ones too much or something.

Anyway, I have all of the crafting licenses and equipment besides pro cooking, and I'm chugging along now.

I got really excited when I saw that the first three Phoenix Wright games are being rereleased as a 3DS remake compilation; and then really sad when I realized it probably won't release here, what with Capcom only releasing the fifth game digitally and all.

Just imagine, though: You could have four of the games installed digitally and Apollo Justice in the cartridge slot! You'd have so much Ace Attorney on one system!

It just looks a bit cheap, graphically. A bad imitation of the original style in 3d. Especially compared to the Wii U one that was announced and looks glorious.

But hey, I might end up buying and loving it anyway. Happened with Zelda:ALBW, although I liked that style more than I do this.

Every time Nintendo's tried to make a sequel to Yoshi's Island, it's been kind of a terrible, soulless disappointment.

I think i'd have a hard time articulating why they're so disappointing, but they have been, and I have seen nothing to convince me that the 3DS sequel will be any different.

Perhaps it's just the amount of creativity that was on display in the first one, and that when it became a formula to emulate ad hominem, it just stopped working. The sequels are also all much uglier than the original.

I enjoyed Yoshi's Island DS, and none of the above criticisms occurred to me when playing the game.  I do remember that I didn't think the additional babies added enough to the gameplay, though.

I meant the DS one! I've seen a lot of people bemoan and bewail it but the 90 seconds or so I gave it with unrepsonsive touchscreen controls on an emulator on my tablet it seemed alright. I'll probably buy the 3DS one blind because I'm a relentless optimist and post-Zelda I don't judge a anything visually until I've seen it for myself on that wee portal into magic.

I have finished Bravely Default (over 73 hours!) which means I can play something else now and I'm relieved and delighted. I only play one game at a time generally so that was a bit sapping, I'll give it a week or two before I even think about starting Pokemon.

Oh! Yeah, I love Yoshi Touch & Go! Also I liked Kirby Cursed Canvas. I was on a touch control high back then.

Oh! Yeah, I love Yoshi Touch & Go!

That game. Is fucking amazing. It's seriously one of my favorite DS games. I spent so much time competing with some friends on another forum, trying to get a higher and higher score. DAMN. I did similar things with the minigames in Super Mario 64 DS, but YT&G was the real winner, there.

That said, they're talking about Yoshi's Island DS, which is a traditional platformer, not a high-score kinda game.

What? Damnit.. Wrong again! I have no idea which one this is then..

Edit: Huh, being super into Yoshi's Island, and I mean it's my favorite fucking thing in the world, it's very weird that I never noticed that sequel.. It does both look fun but a bit redundant? What's new in it? Just the multiple babies? (BABY WARIO?!?)

BABY WARIO! Everyone loves Wario!

Anyway, I found that game kind of... lacking soul? I dunno. I just don't remember being enthralled by it like I was the SNES game, which I've played since and still love. I wouldn't recommend it. It's okay, but just felt super bland to me. I know some people like it, though. SHRUG.

Well both Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's Island 3DS are outsourced sequels done by Artoon/Arzest (of Blinx the Cat fame) and not by Nintendo, so that would probably explain why you shouldn't bother. No one from the team of the original Yoshi's Island is involved in them at all. I'd consider them pretty lame cash in titles, honestly.

No one from the team of the original Yoshi's Island is involved in them at all. I'd consider them pretty lame cash in titles, honestly.

They made a huge deal out of the fact that Yoshi's Island director Takashi Tezuka is acting as producer on this one. Of course, he also worked as senior producer on Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's Story. ...And Yoshi Touch & Go...

Ah, nevermind I stand corrected. However, even though one of the recent Idle Thumbs podcast episodes said that producers are always majorly involved in the making of a game in Japan, I question if that's really ever the case, Nintendo being the major reason for my skepticism. There's just no way in my mind that Shigeru Miyamoto is creatively involved the many games he is credited as a producer on every year. I'm guessing with other Nintendo producers it may be similar.

So Monster Hunter 4G was just announced, also for the 3DS, but MH4 only came out last september in Japan. (I mean, and obviously, nobody even else even has that one yet.)

So that's kind of weird.

Korea did too but I can imagine there's a huge fanbase there for it. Is it too much to hope that this new version is why we haven't heard of an English localisation yet? I liked 3 Ultimate a lot Capcom and I want to give you money, help me out.

Nintendo did not comment on whether or not we'll see an English release of 4G.

I will eat your fucking families, Capcom.

With how long they've been taking to get out 4, i would't feel especially slighted if they just skipped it and gave us 4G in a timely fashion instead.

Edit: Minutes after posting the above comment, the story went out that only 4G will be localized for the west, but it won't be released until early 2015. Egh.

Speaking of Capcom's sluggish release schedule, what's going on with Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney?

Nice, just saw the Monster Hunter news. It's a shame it's so long away and Capcom might be bankrupt long before then but it's hope at least.

Europe gets Layton vs Ace Attorney on 28th March, fast becoming an expensive month. It's a mystery why companies can take so long to put these games out when they've already been translated into more languages than your market requires, unless they're going to delay it to prevent it coming out too close to Azran Legacy which you must be due soon.

So, I beat Rune Factory 4, or at least I saw the credits. It was kinda short, and not very hard at all besides that one boss I had trouble with. I'm hoping there's more to do, but I guess we'll see.

There's supposed to be a significant amount of post-game content, including more dungeons and more story arcs, but it apparently takes a fair bit of time to get them to trigger.

I'm surprised to hear you say it was short though, the other people i've talked to about it all said it was quite long.

I got the credits before the end of summer after about 14 hours of play. I guess it wasn't short, but it feels like I haven't gotten the opportunity to realty stretch the mechanics, get all the good weapons, etc. At the same time, I'm aware of at least two spots on the map that have bad guys that still kick my ass. Also, I got a kill quest for an enemy I hadn't seen before, looked it up, and it's apparently on a world (not dungeon) map I don't even have access to yet, so there's still a lot to go.

I think it's more that they picked kind of a weird spot to roll the credits than it actually being short.

Edit: Minutes after posting the above comment, the story went out that only 4G will be localized for the west, but it won't be released until early 2015. Egh.

"Update: In a video message to fans, producer Ryozo Tsujimoto announced that Monster Hunter 4G will receive an early 2015 Western release called Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Tsujimoto confirmed that 4 Ultimate will support online play in addition to local play."

Thank christ they're not gutting the online. That wait is gonna be brutal, though.