Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I disagree about Monster Hunter, I think there's plenty there to play solo. I put something like 60 hours in MH2 on the PSP and another 20 or so into MH3 on the 3DS and had a great time. In a lot of ways, it scratches the same itch as Dark Souls, seeing that big huge boss and knowing with enough practice and work getting the right equipment, you'll kill it some day. I also don't think the circle pad pro is really required to play it, but then I played it enough on the PSP to be used to the thumbstick/dpad combo.

On another note, I got Rune Factory 4 for my Birthday. The tutorial take a while to get through, but I'm enjoying myself so far. I really wish they'd get rid of the limit on the request box. If I'm willing to go to the bath five times in a day to get everything done on the list at once, it should let me. Also, the personalities of the different characters don't really show all that well in dialog, but I'm hoping that improves.

I completed MH3U without the circlepad pro, and I didn't mind using the touch-screen D-Pad at all.

Also I forgot a game suggestion - Pokemon X/Y

no? It's not as good as Black/White story wise (actually the story sucks balls) but the Pokemonz are in 3D and uhhhh pokemon. Yup.

I have always found Monster Hunter as a solo game to be a lonely, empty grind. Everything about it - the slow recoveries on your melee attacks for one and the purely support nature of the ranged weapons for another - screams to me that it's a game meant to be played with friends watching your back.

I don't know though, even if i'm wrong about the single-player stuff, i still think it makes sense to wait for Monster Hunter 4. I don't think anybody would argue that the multiplayer isn't the best part of Monster Hunter, right?

On another note, I got Rune Factory 4 for my Birthday. The tutorial take a while to get through, but I'm enjoying myself so far. I really wish they'd get rid of the limit on the request box. If I'm willing to go to the bath five times in a day to get everything done on the list at once, it should let me. Also, the personalities of the different characters don't really show all that well in dialog, but I'm hoping that improves.

Definitely stick with it, i think it turns into quite a great game when it finds its stride. I've definitely seen people who follow the series say it's the best one, and it's probably one of my favorite 3DS games at this point. (The only thing i really don't like is that there's no grid for placing furniture, fuck that.)

It's a huge shame that the european localization was just cancelled. (Seemingly over complications with the Japanese developer having shut down only a few weeks ago.)

It's crazy how I'm loving animal crossing new leaf. I just reached the point when you first travel to the tropical island, and god, that Kapp'n song is freaking cute! This game is so fucking lovely!

Also, it's great how the game just evolves, and you keep on discovering things. That's a really nice thing, I thought the game was going to be a really long ride and a bit repetitive, but now this tropical island just changed everything, since the bugs are a really valuable item in it's weird economy.

On another note, I've tried Fire emblem Awekening, and yep, it's my next game. Had a great time with the demo.

I completed MH3U without the circlepad pro, and I didn't mind using the touch-screen D-Pad at all.

Also I forgot a game suggestion - Pokemon X/Y

no? It's not as good as Black/White story wise (actually the story sucks balls) but the Pokemonz are in 3D and uhhhh pokemon. Yup.

I thought Pokemon was a child thing or something, but I'm impressed to see how many grown ups keep enjoying the game (but seeing how much I'm loving Animal Crossing, another game probably aimed for children, I'm not that surprised anymore).

I remember when I was a kid I used to enjoy the cartoon, I liked the game too, but not so much. I don't know, I think after they came with a crazy amount of pokemons I lost my interest in it, don't see myself going back to it to be honest.

Finishing off Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and I'm really going to miss that guy. I say miss him, there's a ludicrous volume of additional and free downloadable content for it but I like the stories and characters tying everything together, it's a lovely wee world they've made. Having given the Ace Attorney series a third chance recently and quite enjoyed it I'm looking forward to this spinoff though.

Edit - I didn't realise that was getting a physical release but it's listed on Amazon for 28th March. Hot madam.

It's crazy how I'm loving animal crossing new leaf. I just reached the point when you first travel to the tropical island, and god, that Kapp'n song is freaking cute! This game is so fucking lovely!

Also, it's great how the game just evolves, and you keep on discovering things. That's a really nice thing, I thought the game was going to be a really long ride and a bit repetitive, but now this tropical island just changed everything, since the bugs are a really valuable item in it's weird economy.

ACNL's combination of gating through in-game activity and real-world time progression pretty much ensures that new things continue to happen in that game for upwards of a year. Just remember to put it down every now and then, i've seen people become frustrated and burn out on the game through the expectation of being able to wring content out of it over the course of a few weeks. It is instead built to be played in small chunks over a long period of time.

It is a very wonderful, distinctive thing though, it's the kind of game only Nintendo would make. (Anybody else would cram it full of gross social media hooks and microtransactions.)

There's a thread for the game in multiplayer networking, but it doesn't appear to be very active right now. Still, if you need to trade items or want to tour other towns, you can look in there.

I thought Pokemon was a child thing or something, but I'm impressed to see how many grown ups keep enjoying the game (but seeing how much I'm loving Animal Crossing, another game probably aimed for children, I'm not that surprised anymore).

I remember when I was a kid I used to enjoy the cartoon, I liked the game too, but not so much. I don't know, I think after they came with a crazy amount of pokemons I lost my interest in it, don't see myself going back to it to be honest.

Yeah, I've played something in every generation of the game. Not proud of it, just have. XD I too loved the anime and was hooked on red/blue. 

X/Y are great in that there is a lot of new stuff they should have done years ago, like 360 degrees of movement and 3D battles, but there are only like 70-odd new pokemon and the whole 'mega-evolution' thing is interesting. The addition of the fairy class is good, as it nerfs dragon-types. Also like I said, the story is utter poo.

I'd suggest to pick up Black/White if you are interested in a pokemon game because until you defeat the elite four, you don't meet a single old pokemon, which makes it a real pleasure to play as it made every area more exciting and interesting as you knew you were guaranteed to wander into some new unseen pokemon. Also the story is heaps better, and messes about with the standard world progression, and continues past the elite four. The Team Rocket of Black/White are also more complex and are battling for a cause you could believe in, and not just an 'we're evil coz we're evil' like in previous games.

The most retarded team rocket variations must have been in Ruby/Sapphire where they wanted to either erupt a volcano to reclaim land (but also simultaneously destroying everybody's homes and lives) or causing a huge flood and flooding the world. wtf Team Rocket.

I've been playing Animal Crossing without changing the clock and stuff, and as you said, it's really rewarding that way. There's always something new.

It's truly a great game, it's really unique and a title that feels more adequate on a handheld, and it's also the kind of thing that you won't find on consoles. That's something that Vita lacked IMO, so it's great that Nintendo is doing these kind of thing. I'm convinced of the so called "Nintendo charm" now, they are really distinct.

As for Pokemon, I do have to say that, despite not having a great interest in the series right now, I felt an enormous amount of nostalgia seeing Pokemon Ina fully 3d environment, I always wanted it. So maybe I'll give it a try in the future, after playing some games that are higher on my list.

Definitely stick with it, i think it turns into quite a great game when it finds its stride. I've definitely seen people who follow the series say it's the best one, and it's probably one of my favorite 3DS games at this point. (The only thing i really don't like is that there's no grid for placing furniture, fuck that.)

It's a huge shame that the european localization was just cancelled. (Seemingly over complications with the Japanese developer having shut down only a few weeks ago.)

Wow, there's a huge jump in combat difficulty between the first and second boss. I was swearing up a storm last night trying to take out that damn horse. I finally got it on about the 15th or 20th try. I need to get some better armor or something, because if he even touched me in his third form, I was stun locked and dead.

Really enjoying the gameplay at this point as it's opened up further, but still not really into any of the characters and I don't think there's enough dialog to get a clear picture of most of them. I felt more attached to the folks in Animal Crossing with their randomly generated text than the preset dialog here.

Pay attention to your character stats, little things like getting an early night's sleep gradually increase your HP. It helps to have a party too, you can befriend animals to help you out both with the farm and in a fight, and you can even bring townsfolk along to dungeons to fight for you. Also, yeah, definitely start buying and crafting better gear. You know, and have healing items too and all that, and then even beyond all that, it still takes some finesse. Get used to the special attacks you can learn, and get used to dodging by tapping the trigger.

As for the characters, there are a lot of time-sensitive story events that are pretty easy to miss. (I haven't played in a few weeks, but i think the game alerts you to any events such as that when you try to go save in your home. Some of them play out over a few days.)

At the moment, I don't really have access to any better gear. I guess I just need to waste items "improving" random gear in unhelpful ways until my forging skill gets high enough to learn some new reciepes. I had just gotten the Monster Barn the day before going in to fight that boss, so I haven't had a lot of time to explore bringing monsters along yet (when I did try that, they died almost immediately to the boss anyway.) I have plenty of healing items and food, but often don't get the chance to use them because I'm getting killed in one or two hits. Strangely, the regular bad guys in the area don't give me any trouble at all.

Erm, I don't think I have the ability to dodge. Left trigger is the pocket, right trigger just makes me walk. Is that something that unlocks later, or did I screw up my controls somehow? I also can't get any of the unlocked dash attacks to trigger either.

You have to just quickly tap it, it can be a bit finicky.

Definitely start rolling with a party, the townsfolk will help out a lot, and get some animals with you early on so you have a chance to level them up. The game starts ramping up the difficulty past where you are.

Interesting that with all the tutorials in the request box, they haven't talked about how to have townsfolk come with you at all, and barely mentioned any monster stuff besides the grooming and feeding bits. I had to look up on the gamefaqs forums what the "LR BTW" prompt on the dialog boxes even was.

Maybe I'm ahead of the curve? How far in the game were you at the end of the first Spring?

The boss you were talking about is still very early in the game. (I haven't finished the game myself, but i've been told it is an extremely lengthy game.)

The dungeons start ramping up pretty quickly difficulty-wise, especially on the second overworld map. It seems like they might have expected you to hang around the town for a while before setting out exploring, but either way, it's not a big deal. If you're finding the difficulty curve tough, there's certainly loads of other stuff to do in the game while you prepare your character for more adventures. (I got to where you are pretty early on too, but i definitely didn't beat my head against that boss twenty times before finally killing it. Knowing about the dodge probably helped, but i can't remember if it was explained in a tutorial dialogue or if i just intuited that it would be there.)

It is fair to have gone into a farming RPG not expecting a nuanced combat system, but there it is. Heh. The special attacks and the dodge will help you out a lot.

Basically, when they tell me to go to a dungeon, I go there the first or second day because I get tired of everyone bugging me about it.

I'm really confused about the R button, because I felt for sure it should do something like a dodge and couldn't get it to do anything. I think I'm going to go upstairs on my break and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

You just have to tap it really quickly while moving in a direction, if you hold the trigger for a split-second too long, it won't do anything. They've got it mapped to two different functions, and the tap is different than the hold.

A lot of the special attacks need to be executed during that dodge.

Hmm, it seems to work about 50% of the time or so for me. I wonder if the R trigger on this DS is messed up.

I felt more attached to the folks in Animal Crossing with their randomly generated text than the preset dialog here.

What's interesting is that Animal Crossing used to be really bad at this and it's interesting to see how they've improved, and what they did specifically to make the villagers more interesting. Things like how they'll notice you and come up to you, how they have relationships with other villagers, the errands that they get you to run, very little of that existed in the first game.

The region locking issue has made me seriously question whether I'll buy another region locked Nintendo product again. It's so frustrating being in Europe and having to miss out on great games and have others delayed so much. RF4 I've been waiting for and now the developer has gone under I can't even import. I'm sure SMT IV will fail to be localised too.

Is anyone else of a similar opinion? I'll gladly buy Nintendo again if their next console is region free, but I can't feel like I'm supporting such consumer unfriendly business practices.

The region locking issue has made me seriously question whether I'll buy another region locked Nintendo product again. It's so frustrating being in Europe and having to miss out on great games and have others delayed so much. RF4 I've been waiting for and now the developer has gone under I can't even import. I'm sure SMT IV will fail to be localised too.

Is anyone else of a similar opinion? I'll gladly buy Nintendo again if their next console is region free, but I can't feel like I'm supporting such consumer unfriendly business practices.

...SMT IV's out in Europe I'm pretty sure. I can buy it.

It's a pain in the arse, but unlike basically every other console Nintendo often releases things in Europe and Australia well before the US. Americans had to kick up a fuss to get Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, and I just walked in a store and bought them months before. Same with Bravely Default, which is not yet out in America.

It sucks, but i have a hard time singling Nintendo out for it when it's been industry standard for so long. Yes, you can point out other examples where region locking hasn't been implemented, but it simply isn't as common as when it is. If you play console games, you definitely already own a lot of systems that are region locked.

Hmm, it seems to work about 50% of the time or so for me. I wonder if the R trigger on this DS is messed up.

It's certainly possible, triggers tend to be the first thing to go on DS's. Though I'd say it's probably more likely that you're finding the timing of the press troublesome, i had trouble with it at first too.

I'm seriously considering buying a Japanese 3DS to go with my European one, I am part of the problem. Region lock is stupid, obviously, but I can't see them removing it and the good stuff that does get over is worth it on its own. It depends on your tastes of course but I think Europeans have had it a bit better than North Americans with the 3DS overall too. 

...SMT IV's out in Europe I'm pretty sure. I can buy it.

It isn't, and there's been no mention of it coming out here at all as far as I'm aware. I was interested for a while but I think my JRPG itch has been scratched.

It's a pain in the arse, but unlike basically every other console Nintendo often releases things in Europe and Australia well before the US. Americans had to kick up a fuss to get Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, and I just walked in a store and bought them months before. Same with Bravely Default, which is not yet out in America.

Those are the exceptions though.

It sucks, but I have a hard time singling Nintendo out for it when it's been industry standard for so long.

I think it's fair when currently the only region lock found is the Nintendo systems. Sony has been progressive in this way and it's fantastic. Just because it was an industry standard doesn't mean that I can't be irritated when only a single company bothers with it any more. I'm not one to shout about Nintendo being doomed, nor do I complain about their online abilities. However, I feel that region lock is something that just shouldn't be. 

I have been considering getting a Japanese or US 2DS but I would feel hypocritical. I'm probably over-reacting, but I got used to just buying American games for my PS3. It feels backwards to just say "oh well, no game X for me" when I've not had that thought for an entire console generation. 

Also, kinda upsetting if you are a PC gamer who was only ever owned a DS to find your 3DS is region locked. All i want is my SMT IV :/ (I knew before I got it, but it is still sad making).