Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Get used to one member of the party effectively carrying the rest in damage. You will find jobs that have little to no combat proficiency, and having someone pull double duty gives you room to take advantage of those jobs.

Two-handed weapons are amazing - shields are useful, but (pretty much) double damage is more so. I had a Thief with a bow and a Knight with Two-handed and they wrecked face for most of Chapter One until the thief started needing 400 JP to unlock a new ability.

Indeed. Some jobs are pretty weak damage wise but they all have a great support ability you can take advantage of somewhere down the line so it's worth experimenting. And I haven't bothered with shields at all except on my healer, the extra damage is more important. There's a job later on that comes with dual-wield by default and does such preposterous damage that for a while there I had three of them all maxed out before I thought better of it and started levelling up other jobs in case I regret it later.

This is an odd game. I don't want to give too much away as I don't know if anyone else is near my bit yet but while chapter five is dogshit, six just did a really cool thing that totally redeemed it. A nice wee twist I did not see coming at all in a game so traditional.

Well, I bought a 3DS last week. A 3DS XL, more specifically. My first Nintendo system since the SNES. 

I had a Vita and wasn't really happy with the lack of support from Sony, and the fact that most of the games on Vita were already released on other platforms made me lose the interest in it (in most of them, the Vita version was worse than the others, so it did not much sense to buy it), so I made the transition to the 3DS. So far, I'm quite impressed.

I'm playing Zelda ALBW and Animal Crossing right now. ALBW is my first Zelda game since ALTTP, which I never finished. So, yeah, I'm really uneducated on Zelda games. However, I'm finding that ALBW is a really nice start for someone who is not into Zelda games, I'm loving it. I think the games is well balanced, there is challenge but it's not frustrating, there is a nice learning curve for the puzzles. I've seen some people saying the game was too easy, but as I'm almost a newcomer in the series, it didn't gave me that impression. I also loved how important is the fact that you can merge into walls, it changes everything.

I also enjoy how simple and unobtrusive the story is, and how some events that seemed to be disconnected from the main plot weren't. It's a pretty shallow story, but feels adequate to the game. The soundtrack is awesome too.

My other game with the 3DS, Animal Crossing, is way weirder, but super nice. It's lovely and weird at the same time, it's really funny. My girlfriend is cracking so much that a bear in the game had a date with me, and then later sent me a gift. Also, he calls me honey and gave me a nickname "G bear". My girlfriend think it must mean "Gay bear" or something. I feel like I'm on the brink of having an extraconjugal relationship with a bear. Awesome. 

Anyway, I'm really loving the 3DS, it kind of changed the way I saw handheld gaming (the VIta and the 3DS were the only handheld systems I ever owned). It has some really nice and unique games, stuff that I can't find on other platforms. Totally satisfied with it so far.

A better option might be, particularly if you like the 2d Zelda games, to check out the versions of the GBC Zeldas available on the 3DS eshop. (Link's Awakening and the two Oracle games.)

As for actual 3DS games, let me throw out some strong recommendations for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Super Mario 3D Land, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Along with the two games you're actually already playing, i think that makes up probably the five best new games on the 3DS. (Speaking personally, i think FEA's the best game available for the system.)

A better option might be, particularly if you like the 2d Zelda games, to check out the versions of the GBC Zeldas available on the 3DS eshop. (Link's Awakening and the two Oracle games.)

As for actual 3DS games, let me throw out some strong recommendations for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Super Mario 3D Land, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Along with the two games you're actually already playing, i think that makes up probably the five best new games on the 3DS. (Speaking personally, i think FEA's the best game available for the system.)

You should try Ocarina Of Time 3D to make up for lost Zelda time!

Ocarina of Time 3D surely is on my radar, but I think I'll go for Fire Emblem as my third game on the system. It seems so right to go for it, I often hear great things about that game.

First of all, I love Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts, I feel I need to dig more on this genre. Also, I loved Persona 4 Golden on the PS Vita, and since FEA appears to have a similar character development it really got my attention. The ability to make couples and have their kids with a mix of their abilities seems to be a really nice mechanic.

Luigi's Mansion seems awesome too, as Bravely Default. Well, there's too many interesting games on this system, which is really nice.

Just know that Fire Emblem tends more towards strategy than something like Final Fantasy Tactics would, there's a much stronger emphasis on troop composition and such things, though there's also a very sophisticated job system that will play out over the course of many hours.

If you're interested in playing FEA, I've previously written a fair amount on these boards trying to sum up some of the not-quite-adequately explained aspects of FEA. It might be a valuable starting point. Here in this post, and the posts linked to from this post.

I'll agree with FEA. It's a great game and I've spent far too many hours playing it. However just a warning if you're coming from the vita: it looks like shit.

I hate to say it because it's one of the best games on the 3ds, and the battle animations are good, but my god the characters look awful when they're fighting. If you can get past no feet, then you'll probably love it.

Wow, thanks for the advice, Sno! Those posts are great, sometimes I feel confused on series I've never played before, so your tips are a great starting point.

Also, your posts already helped me: I was going to play with permadeath on, thought it would be better to enjoy the game, but that's not the case as it seems. I really don't care so much if the game is hard or really challenging, specially when it's in a genre that I'm not used to, like jrpgs, so I'll just turn it off.

Looking back on it, some of my comments concerning FEA's permadeath mode might not have been super clear.

I do think it's worth playing FEA with permadeath on simply because it enforces the cautious playstyle the series is designed around. There is no expendable fodder in Fire Emblem, you're supposed to be constantly checking ranges and mitigating risks.

The issue i have with how FEA approaches it is simply that it brings nothing to the game beyond that, whereas previous games would have campaigns that shift course depending on who and how many characters you have alive. In FEA, it's simply closing doors; the game wants you to keep everybody alive. (So if you play with permadeath, get ready to replay missions if you screw up. FEA's permadeath mode autosaves after every move, so no quicksave abuse.)

The other thing is just that FEA is actually quite a bit more difficult than the initial few missions let on, and playing with permadeath on any difficulty above normal is not really advisable for a first playthrough.

The choice is absolutely yours though, there's arguments for both.

If you're into the JRPG side of the spectrum, HNNNNG, you could do a lot worse than picking up both Kingdom Hearts 3D and Theathrythm: Final Fantasy. Amazing games.

Also Phoenix Wright 5 from the eShop.

Just a crazy wealth of JRPG's on the 3DS in general, lots of stuff from Atlus and others. Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Rune Factory, Bravely Default, etc. Also Monster Hunter, if that's your thing. (It'd probably be worth holding out for 4 since it will have online play.)

Aside from the RPG's, Resident Evil: Revelations is an RE game that i think is better than the last couple numbered entries in the series. (Definitely needs the Circle Pad Pro accessory to be played properly though.)

There's also Kid Icarus Uprising, though it tends to be fairly love-or-hate based on how much tolerance the player has for its odd and marginally cramp-inducing control scheme. It's a great game if you can get past that caveat.

Mario Kart 7's a pretty great Mario Kart game.

And yeah, so much stuff on the eShop. (Which also has playable demos for a lot of the aformentioned games, so get on there and try stuff out.)

Another great game is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Much better than the previous games, as it's less tutorial heavy, and you get into slaying big monsters pretty quickly. The game plays completely differently from anything else I've ever played, and even though the controls seem awkward at first, but once you've gotten used to it, you realise that it's perfectly suited for the game. I think it's a must-buy for the system, even if you've never played a monhun game before, as like Persona, they are not related at all story wise.

I also liked the change from Feyline warrior followers to Cha-Cha and Kayamba, as they felt more personal and permanent (in previous games Feylines could leave you).

And once you get into crafting weapons and armour, you'd spend ages killing monsters for that rare gem stone.

I saw TetraRythm for 20 quid before Christmas and it has no disappeared. Wants:/

I played a bunch of MH Tri on Wii, but how's 3U if you don't have anyone else to play with? Is a bunch of the late game content still gated off to online only? I'm hoping like hell they'll bring over 4 eventually with online intact.

On MH3U, the online part (which I'm guessing is the port, as I haven't played tri) is all accessible SP content, but is strange as it's seperate from the single player story line quests and missions, which are in a way preperation for the 'port', which is local play only on the 3DS, but you can link the 3DS to the WiiU's Mon Hun 3U for multi. The monsters scale up appropriately the more players you have.

You can still play all the port levels by your lonesome  :tup:  

Edit: All the port levels being the Multiplayer levels/missions. The only gating that's in the game is hunter level and your own skill and weapon stats.

So many games. Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!

I really think about getting Resident Evil Revelations, but I'm easily scared by horror games, so I'm not totally sure. But maybe it isn't that scary on a handheld system. What attracts me most to this game is the fact that it seems to have more puzzles/exploration elements, just like the first Resident Evil games. That's what I've read, at least.

I'm also now interested by Monster Hunter, since the user said the game has a story mode. I thought it was multiplayer only. Is it worth to get it for the single-player only? I'm not into multiplayer games (don't have any gamer friends :/).

As for Phoenix Wright, is it similar to Ghost Trick? I'm currently playing it on iOS and I'm loving it.

Changing the subject, how many games actually benefits from using the circle pad pro? I know that RE Revelations is one of those games, what are the others? 

So many games. Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!

I really think about getting Resident Evil Revelations, but I'm easily scared by horror games, so I'm not totally sure. But maybe it isn't that scary on a handheld system. What attracts me most to this game is the fact that it seems to have more puzzles/exploration elements, just like the first Resident Evil games. That's what I've read, at least.

RE: Rev definitely tries to evoke aspects of the earlier RE games, and a lot of RE4 too as well. (Whereas RE5 and RE6 are more or less straight-up action games.)

I'm also now interested by Monster Hunter, since the user said the game has a story mode. I thought it was multiplayer only. Is it worth to get it for the single-player only? I'm not into multiplayer games (don't have any gamer friends :/).

Unless you have other people around locally to play Monster Hunter with, do not buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Yes, it has a solo mode, but Monster Hunter is best as a cooperative multiplayer experience, and 3 Ultimate's 3DS version has no online play. Monster Hunter 4, which is on the way probably for this year, will supposedly have online play. That's the one to dive into.

As for Phoenix Wright, is it similar to Ghost Trick? I'm currently playing it on iOS and I'm loving it.

Ghost Trick! I love Ghost Trick. I also love the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series. (Edit: Full disclosure, i have not played the 3DS game yet.)

The latter is not like the former, the Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games are visual novels, simple text-focused adventure games. They are, however, from the same designer that is responsible for Ghost Trick, so you can definitely expect a lot of the same narrative sensibility. So there's a good chance that, if you like Ghost Trick, you'll be into Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright as well.

Should note, the 3DS game is the fifth game in the main series and the eighth overall. I've heard it's not impossible for new players to get into, but it will almost definitely spoil earlier games. (The earlier Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games, i believe, are also available on iOS though. Maybe start there if you're curious, you'd probably be into it if you like Ghost Trick's characters and overall tone.)

Changing the subject, how many games actually benefits from using the circle pad pro? I know that RE Revelations is one of those games, what are the others? 

Not a lot of games even support it, and among those that do, only a few really need it. RE:Rev and Monster Hunter are the big ones, probably. Those are probably two of the only ones that really, really need it.

The single player in Mon Hun 3 U is completely separate from the MP, and is kinda 'training' for the MP. The story is pretty thin tbh but it's enough to keep you playing . As for the circle pad pro, i know MH3U uses it as well as Kid icarus.I can't vouch for any other games though.

In Kid Icarus Uprising, it does nothing to change the control scheme some people take issue with, it simply makes the game ambidextrous, i believe. (I honestly haven't bothered to try it out myself.)

Tbh that would be good for me as i'm left handed. My left-handedness made dillon's rolling western an awkward game to play. guess i'm getting one XD

Just finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Really enjoyed it, haven't had such a simple fun in a while (I usually prefer more serious, "pretentious" stuff tbh, but I see that there's still a lot of enjoyment for more traditional games). It was specially thrilling that I defeated some of the last bosses with only a half hear of health, and dying in this game it's kind of a pain in the ass, since you lose all the rented stuff.

The way the game handled the difficulty was pretty nice: at first it was super easy, then when you first go to the dark world, it became quite challenging. But after one or two dungeons solved, I could solve the rest of the puzzles without frustration, even if they required some thought. I guess my struggle with the first dungeons in the dark world were mostly due to not knowing how the items worked proper.

I think it is a good starting point in the series, I'll probably do a bit better on the rest of the games because now I know how some of the mechanics work.

Amazing game, it surely makes my list of "games of the year" and etc.

I'm officially "in to" bravely default. The class system is fantastic. So much potential depth that I'm grinding just to know what potential combinations there are.