Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

The eShop store sometimes locks up on me after viewing my wishlist, but that's the only issue i've ever had with any of the 3DS's core OS functionality.

I'm almost finding it hard not to believe that's a P4R article or something.

Nintendo continues to show that they basically don't understand what the internet is. What a strange, backward company.

Guys, what if a child saw a boob? How could that child ever do anything else, ever again? Even worse, what if they saw a curse word, like the F word? I mostly used swapnote to send wack-ass curse words that I found or figured out on my own. I guess I'll have to use some other method to get those curse words out to the world

So this is clearly a think-of-the-children move, but if kids are exchanging inappropriate material over the internet with inappropriate recipients/senders, they already had to have been in contact with them on the internet or in person to exchange friend codes in the first place. (Given that friend codes have to be a mutual exchange, this doesn't allow for a scenario where people are being harassed out of the blue.)

So i don't know what this move accomplishes other than inconveniencing people who had a lot of fun sharing stupid sketches over swapnote.

Well, no, it's obvious what it accomplishes. It lets Nintendo save face in the event that some local or major news outlet decides to run with the "PEDOPHILES ARE PREYING ON YOUR CHILDREN USING NINTENDO" headline. That's what this is about.

I wonder why Nintendo always gets news outlets writing stories about children being preyed on through their 3DSes (very rare / does not happen) but I don't really hear any major news media talk about how quickly you can hear incredibly offensive comments the INSTANT you turn on some chat on pretty much any online game. It was insane how quickly I heard racial and homophobic slurs when I got onto GTA Online. And I'm not even a girl! Ooof.

I'm reading that this is Nintendo overreacting to some parents complaining after becoming upset that their children were sexting pictures over Swapnote. They probably know to check their phone, but are not aware they should check the 3DS.

But like you said Sno, it's not in anyway the fault of Swapnote since they had to friend the person in the first place. I don't understand what actual problem there was to solve as this is how everything else in the world works, all other gaming systems and Facebook alike.

...talk about an overreaction.

It's like when, in school, the teacher says you can have some free time to work on whatever you want, but if people start talking then its on to the next planned lesson. And then someone calls the teacher's bluff and the teacher is like, "Alright, you lost it for everybody!" (Nintendo is the teacher here, and once again I am the quiet guy in the corner who didn't do anything wrong.)

Maybe in the year 2020 Nintendo will realize that given a blank canvas, people are going to draw dicks.

This is so ridiculous. If the problem is sexting then why didn't they just turn off the photo sharing functionality?

I forgot to go to Club Nintendo yesterday to order a 3DS cradle, and now they're sold out. Why is there always so little stock on these things?

Also, speaking of Club Nintendo, here's a crazy thing that happened: one of this year's Platinum rewards in Japan (which will be available for 800 coins afterward) is a digital copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Apart from the craziness that is Nintendo releasing a digital version of a full DS game, Days of Ruin was never released in Japan (though a Japanese translation was made, it was never released). Crazy.

I forgot to go to Club Nintendo yesterday to order a 3DS cradle, and now they're sold out. Why is there always so little stock on these things?

Also, speaking of Club Nintendo, here's a crazy thing that happened: one of this year's Platinum rewards in Japan (which will be available for 800 coins afterward) is a digital copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Apart from the craziness that is Nintendo releasing a digital version of a full DS game, Days of Ruin was never released in Japan (though a Japanese translation was made, it was never released). Crazy.

I think there's so little stock on items like that because on the whole, Club Nintendo really doesn't offer anything incredibly compelling, but having extremely limited, quite nice items keeps people on the hook.

I definitely thought they'd wait longer before having any kind of Digital DS downloads, but I suppose this is the most limited fashion they could have done it in. It's kind of like those ambassador program games that blow every other eShop game out of the water, but are only available to a very specific group of people so there's no expectation of more on the horizon.

"We have found out people have been using Wii Karaoke U innapropriately. Because of this, we have disabled all copies of Wii Karaoke U from running on Wii U consoles worldwide."

This is so ridiculous. If the problem is sexting then why didn't they just turn off the photo sharing functionality?

But you can still write sultriest of things.

*sigh* If they're that concerned why don't they restrict online to 18+ only or, even better, just forget the whole thing.

So there was a Nintendo Direct just now! The 3DS is getting Miiverse (after announcing it like a year and a half ago), Nintendo is FINALLY implementing a unified account system (as in shared wallet, presumably not shared licenses), and Youtube support is coming as well. Welcome to the glorious present, Nintendo.

That unified account thing sounds super sketchy, expect bullshit.

At most, it's a unified wallet, not unified licenses.

Nintendo's taking those baby steps.

Also, ALBW and Bravely Default both continue to look awesome.

Gonna watch the Direct when I'm home. Unified accound: sounds great. Bullshit detector: on maximum.

Unified wallet is literally the least desired element of a unified account. Licenses are the most important thing. So yeah, diverting power from the hope reactors to the bullshit sensors.

Unified wallet is literally the least desired element of a unified account. Licenses are the most important thing. So yeah, diverting power from the hope reactors to the bullshit sensors.

It's definitely a feature that I wish for all the time though.

I'm just excited that the thing is there now, since it means that we now have the potential to see things like shared licenses and things being tied t o an account rather than the system itself.

Also, who else is gonna' be part of the cool kids club that will surely gather around the Miiverse community for the Ambassador Certificate?

You really wish for unified wallet all the time? I don't really buy eShop gift cards or anything, so maybe the benefits are not apparent to me.