Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

As expected, I'm doing a ton of Streetpassing at PAX, about 200+ a day. I could probably get more if I stopped more often. I'm finding the 10 pass limit isn't what's bothering as much as how long it takes to clean out the queue, especially with the new games. I've stopped playing Mii Force and the flower game altogether because they take too long. I thought I would like Warriors Way the least but I'm actually enjoying it more just because of how quick it is.

Yes, that's my primary concern with getting those new games. There's a neat balance with just Mii Quest and the puzzle thing in how fast you can go through a line. Especially on conventions where you're likely to pick up ten people in the space of every half hour, that's invaluable.

For me as someone who takes my 3DS to class with me every day and gets 10 tags the 4 extra games are great. I come home every day and go through all the games and it's relaxing. If I was somewhere like PAX, however, I probably would skip all of them and only do Find Mii and the Puzzles.

I'm finding that it also seems to depend on how many passes you can get at once. Find Mii and Mii Force are best played with a group of 10 while the rest are pretty much the same no matter how many you have.

I'm finding that it also seems to depend on how many passes you can get at once. Find Mii and Mii Force are best played with a group of 10 while the rest are pretty much the same no matter how many you have.

Yeah I agree with you, though to a lesser extent the Mansion game is better with a full stack because you know how many of each color you have to work with and can plan accordingly.  If I have a few groups of the same colors I'll go through the whole line and see what pieces I have before I actually put anything down.

So I bought Shin Megami Tensei IV because with the $30 eShop credit it was basically only $20 since I know I'm going to be buying something within the next month or two.  I don't know how I feel about it, in that I don't know really know what is going on in terms of the systems so I've been saving and restarting a lot.  For example if I try and get a demon to join me and I get mad hustled I'll probably restart just because I don't know how much I'm being set back by losing all my items and money.  It doesn't really feel like the game is hard as much as it feels like I don't have a good enough understanding of what's going to to make the right decisions.  After playing for another hour or two I'll most likely be a lot better off.

Also the writing in Fire Emblem is super bad, but I can't tell if I'm liking it because of that or hating it because of that (I'm something-ing it though, and I'm referring to the writing only here.  I really like the game for sure.)

I just played Steamworld Dig for three hours straight, since I finally had some spare time after buying it a few days ago. It's really good!

The upgrade structure strongly reminds me of Torchlight and recent mobile games like Ridiculous Fishing: head out into the world for a minute or two to find loot, then come back to town and sell everything so you can buy upgrades to your earning ability. I get much less of a timewastey feeling from this, though. The direct controls allow a lot more nuanced interaction than most games with this structure, and the persistence of all the dug blocks, enemies, and gems makes your progression feel like more than just your upgrades or how much you've earned.

There's also a bunch of optional caves, with entrances scattered around the main one, that work like puzzles. You can't use special items, and any digging you do is reset each time you enter or die, so you have to work out the series of digs or jumps or whatever to reach the treasure. I like that none of this is explained, it's all just there to discover.

Ditto this, I picked it up and am having a blast. It's part terraria (2D digging, but no building) part metroidvania (progress gated by upgrades/power ups).

As another aside to my above comment, I've also found that the gardening game (I can never remember what it's called) seems better with a smaller group because the flower only has a certain number of seeds and you can't change flowers in the middle of a group.  Also, that guy keeps saying the same thing over and over.  I really wish I could just skip all his dialog.

I got my hands on a 2DS.  I still think it looks dumb, but I will admit holding it was pretty nice.  The placement of the L and R buttons feels better to me because my hands are a little too big to comfortably hold even the XL.  The screens are tiny but they look pretty good.  I still have no interest whatsoever in the thing and I'm obviously not the market for it, but it seems less stupid now that I've held it.

Recca, the super rare Famicom shmup Nintendo was teasing for a worldwide Virtual Console release, is now available on the North American 3DS eShop.

I think it's pretty frickin` snazzy, it is a game i am quite in enamored with. If you have any amount of appreciation for games like this, it's well worth checking out.

People! Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies will come out in the West on October 24th in the eShop, for a paltry 30 dollars. That's great news! Really quick and surprisingly cheap. This is amazing. I expect it to be 30 euros over here as well.

20100827-n3jk3j27ysj4swck5m4t9fg9yk.jpg

Since I'm not getting GTA for the moment, I bought Monster hunter 3 for my wife's 3DS XL to entertain me while the rest of the internet runs wild over Los Santos. It turns out it's another Monster Hunter game, just in case you were curious. Also, it made me realize that my eyes just aren't suited for staring at a 3DS XL screen for long periods of time like Monster Hunter requires. I never finish these sorts of games because I just get tired of looking at the tiny screen when I have a nice big TV and PC monitor. The last PSP that had video out (and I guess the new Vita TV thing) were such a good idea.

I wouldn't mind another Game Boy Player - style peripheral at the very least (because I doubt Nintendo would do any kind of straight up video out for their handhelds)

I wish the volume slider on the 3ds xl locked in the off position like the 3d slider does. I always bump it because it's right where my left hand is.

I discovered that Dual Destinies is actually going to cost 25 euros in the EU and will arrive that same 24th of October. It's like everything is suddenly all right in the world.

I wouldn't mind another Game Boy Player - style peripheral at the very least (because I doubt Nintendo would do any kind of straight up video out for their handhelds)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Wii U pretty much covers every 3DS gimmick a Super Gameboy/Gameboy Player-style add-on would need to have, right? (Short of the stereoscopic cameras, which if are still on the 2DS, are probably required to not break the augmented reality stuff.)

Digital games complicate things though, unless Nintendo ever sorts out some kind of actual unified account solution. (Or, because it's nintendo, there will probably be a cable you use to hook your 3DS into the 3DS add-on that you've hooked up to your Wii U so you could hook the 3DS games you own up to the TV you own. Some kind of awful, nightmare-spawned daisy chain of license handshakes.)

I would definitely contemplate buying a 3DS player for the Wii U though, and since i don't own a Wii U yet, i'd probably be more inclined to own a Wii U as well. Go on Nintendo, the 3DS is your behemoth right now, use its mommentum and strong library to prop up the Wii U a bit.

Also, Etrian Odyssey Untold demo is up on eShop. This one is the remake of the original, but with two full campaigns. (A new story-driven character-focused campaign with new systems, and another one that holds true to the series with player-created characters and minimal narrative.) I haven't looked at the demo yet, but it was a pretty big download. The EOIV demo had a pretty huge chunk of that game, so i'd sort of expect the same from this.

Well, I was thinking with the WiiU's gamepad, you've got your touch-sensitive second screen right there. At that point (beyond the actual 3D vision and cameras) it seems like the WiiU has everything you would need.

At the very least you could do DS games.

So, I just upgraded to an XL because my girlfriend was wanting to play Pokemon and I stepped up so she could get my 3DS. This thing is enormous.  I can see why people favor this over the previous product, I kinda didn't know what I was missing. The general ergonomics of it are so much better than the normal 3DS and I frankly don't mind the size because I'll never put it in my pocket to begin with. Now I'm just looking forward to playing something with it... Pokemon Y will be nice, but now I'm giving a lot more thought to that new Zelda title whose name I can't remember.

The one thing with the XL that I don't like compared to my DS Lite is the hinge seems a lot floppier on the XL.  Oh that and the thing I mentioned about the volume slider getting nudged by my left hand a lot.  Other than that I love it.

The XL feels just a little too small for me, to the point that I bought a grip for it.  It's much more comfortable now, but also entirely impossible to pocket.  Still, I'm glad that I went straight for the XL because I suspect the regular 3DS would have been tiny to me.

On a related note, the 2DS actually felt pretty good in my hands because I was able to hold the entire body instead of just the bottom screen.  But those screens are so tiny and I don't like the overall look.

I'm so used to the XL now that i find it hard to imagine how i got on with the original. I gave my old one to my sister and the top screen just seems so small whenever i see her playing.

Anyway i'm playing Crimson Shroud at the moment. It's wonderful. I've often wondered what a jrpg short story would look like, given how much of the genre is about grand adventure over 40 hours, and this is it done very well. It has a nice intimate feel being only about three people in a small dungeon with a few flashbacks yet the writing hints at this grand history behind the characters and world that gives it a real sense of intrigue. As it can't do sustained character customization through leveling it instead focuses on making each battle drawn out and strategic, forcing you to properly consider buffs and debuffs, party balance and your elemental combinations to increase damage. I'm right near the end but the

witch kings

are destroying me so i probably need to mess around with melding more.

Downloaded Attack of the Friday Monsters too so looking forward to digging into that <3 Guild Series

That is quite adorable, but I wonder if it will be at all challenging. Kirby games are so ridiculously easy, for the most part.

I love the style of Kirby, but rarely ever the games themselves. Too woolly and noncommittal, if that makes sense.

The Ace Attorney demo is of exactly no interest to me: I wouldn't want to spoil myself for a game that, as I pointed out graphically above, is a Day 1 Persian.

That is quite adorable, but I wonder if it will be at all challenging. Kirby games are so ridiculously easy, for the most part.

Kirby games are supposed to be ridiculously easy. It's no coincidence that Kirby didn't appear on the NES until after the SNES had come out and NESes the world over were being passed down to little siblings.

The Ace Attorney demo is of exactly no interest to me: I wouldn't want to spoil myself for a game that, as I pointed out graphically above, is a Day 1 Persian.

I played it, and I think the scenario might be demo-exclusive. The judge even comments on the fact that they don't have much time because they're in a demo version.