Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Mighty Switch Force 1/2, Pushmo/Crashmo, most of the Guild games.

A lot of other things too, really a lot. Enough that it's becoming difficult to easily sum it up.

Hah, I've got $20 and I'm thinking of getting the new Guild game, Attack of the Tokyo Monsters. Everything else is kinda up in the air, but thinking of Gunman Clive, Pushmo or maybe that Shantae game from DSi ware...Or Cave Story. Yeah, jeez, it's hard to choose where to start.

I did a horrible thing and am not regretting it.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is a good game. It's so fucking difficult. Sometimes, I think, unfairly so - random monsters randomly one-shotting my party, and fleeing fails until I die - but for the most part, I'm enjoying playing a JRPG where I actually need to learn and think about what I do. Definitely reminds me of my time with Etrian Odyssey. (The first one. I still want to get/play through 2, 3, 4. And I hear there's a 3DS remake of the first one coming out, which just makes me sad. Why a remake?!)

The dialogue/voice acting is horrific, though. I haven't looked into whether I can use Japanese audio or not, but this is one of those times I would choose to do so, could I.

And I hear there's a 3DS remake of the first one coming out, which just makes me sad. Why a remake?!)

Yeah, I've been wondering about that in relation to the lack of DS games on the eShop, which would presumably be technically feasible. Is it only so they can add crappy 3D effects to DS hits and sell them again for full price?

It looks like SMT4 is coming out after EO4 in PAL regions, so I guess I'll be playing the latter first (which seems more my style anyway).

And I hear there's a 3DS remake of the first one coming out, which just makes me sad. Why a remake?!)

It's not just a remake, it's going to be a story-focused game with a pre-defined party of characters, there's going to be a class change mechanic and a bunch of other new systems.

There's also going to be another mode in the game that really will be like an HD-version of the original game, keeping the oldschool party-building and minimal-narrative intact.

It sounds like it's basically going to be two very different games in one package, it doesn't sound like they're just shitting out a lazy HD update.

Literally none of that stops me from wishing they'd made a brand new game without the baggage of being a remake.

It doesn't have to, i'm just saying that it's not just a remake.

And I never said it was! I'm just saying that's irrelevant to my questioning the logic of a remake!

I've been playing Attack of the Friday Monsters! and am liking it so far.  Mostly I'm interested because I could never get past the language barrier in the interesting My Summer Vacation Games (the background artist is also the game designer! which explains the pure-exploration fun of the game).  It has a basic card game that serves as the 'gameplay', while the rest of it is just wandering around and talking to people.  It has made me laugh a few times-- which usually never happens with Japanese developed games.  It really reminds me of retro games challenge in a way, in its overall feel.

I like these guild games, they basically dispose of any tutorial bloat and let a proven designer make a small solid game with fitting production values.  I'm looking forward to the next Guild announcements.

Playing Attack, to, and think its fan-freaking-tastic!

Tegan, have you tried it? I think it's right up your alley.

I really love the atmosphere. I'm in northern Japan and there are still lots of small towns that feel like this around here- pretty neat!

I've been playing Attack of the Friday Monsters! and am liking it so far.  Mostly I'm interested because I could never get past the language barrier in the interesting My Summer Vacation Games (the background artist is also the game designer! which explains the pure-exploration fun of the game).  It has a basic card game that serves as the 'gameplay', while the rest of it is just wandering around and talking to people.  It has made me laugh a few times-- which usually never happens with Japanese developed games.  It really reminds me of retro games challenge in a way, in its overall feel.

I like these guild games, they basically dispose of any tutorial bloat and let a proven designer make a small solid game with fitting production values.  I'm looking forward to the next Guild announcements.

They're also not crazy long, like most games these days.  I'm at the point in my life where more than 20 hours in a single game seems insane.  I'd happily pay MORE money if designers could all agree to keep there games at the 12 hour mark, like most of the Guild games.  (And yes, cutting the tutorial crap out is a one great way to do this.)

So I just bought one of these things. So far I've just been playing Animal Crossing, which is pretty much the reason I bought it. Really enjoying it so far, and super intrigued by the whole streetpass thing, as it seems really cool. Probably gonna pick up Fire Emblem soon....any other titles I need to own?

Also, who wants to be Animal Crossing friends?

Tegan, have you tried it? I think it's right up your alley.

I really want to, but I'm broke at the moment. :getmecoat

Niyeaux: put your friend code in the 3DS networking thread!

I really want to, but I'm broke at the moment. :getmecoat

Niyeaux: put your friend code in the 3DS networking thread!

Roger that. Is it like the DS was, where you have to put a different pain in the ass friend code in for every game, or do you have one universal friend code now?

One universal code. It's in the Friend menu indicated by the orange smiley face on the home menu. You can even add people while your game is paused.

Animal Crossing has its own "best friend" system that lets you message people without having to be in the same town as well; and if you meet a stranger while visiting someone's town, you can add them to your friends list without ever leaving the game. You do have to input codes to enter server-backups of peoples' towns (as opposed to visiting them live), though.

Animal Crossing is so great. It's rare for me to play a game for more than a few hours, and I've logged into this dumb game every day for like a month. 

I show more dedication to watering plants in my Animal Crossing town than to the plants in my house. 

So I just bought one of these things. So far I've just been playing Animal Crossing, which is pretty much the reason I bought it. Really enjoying it so far, and super intrigued by the whole streetpass thing, as it seems really cool. Probably gonna pick up Fire Emblem soon....any other titles I need to own?

Etrian Odyssey IV has a big demo in the eShop you should probably give a shot.

Shin Megami Tensei IV just came out and people seem pretty into that. (Another SMT game, Soul Hackers, came out not long ago.)

Kid Icarus Uprising, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil: Revelations. (Revelations has a demo.)

Project X Zone is way dumb, i think it's fun, it has a couple demos on the eShop too.

Virtue's Last Reward with a couple big caveats. (Which are that you really need to play 999 first, and then read up on the save bug in VLR. It's avoidable, but very harmful.)

Lots of things on the eShop too, the Guild games are the easiest recommendations, but the Mighty series and things like Pushmo and Crashmo are great too. Also, personally, i feel that far too few people have played Tokyo Crash Mobs.

There's a whole lot everywhere, much more that i haven't talked about, the 3DS is past the point where it's easy to sum up what's available.

Pushmo (or as it's called here, Pullblox) irritates me. It's way too easy, and you have to unlock each level one. by. one. I perform a couple of pulls on autopilot, solve the 'puzzle', and everyone cheers as if it wasn't something that a child could and did do just before some brat came along and pressed the reset button while they were at the top.

Just let me unlock all the puzzles, Pullblox! Let me do some hard ones, and I'll come back and do the tedious ones later. Or unlock them in waves and get me to solve half of them or something! The only ones you let me skip are the ones that I don't get immediately, and they're the ones I want to do!

Pushmo (or as it's called here, Pullblox) irritates me. It's way too easy, and you have to unlock each level one. by. one. I perform a couple of pulls on autopilot, solve the 'puzzle', and everyone cheers as if it wasn't something that a child could and did do just before some brat came along and pressed the reset button while they were at the top.

Just let me unlock all the puzzles, Pullblox! Let me do some hard ones, and I'll come back and do the tedious ones later. Or unlock them in waves and get me to solve half of them or something! The only ones you let me skip are the ones that I don't get immediately, and they're the ones I want to do!

I'm not crazy about it either.  The primary virtue of the game, as far as I can see, is that you can play it for two minutes or less and actually make progress.  So if you're standing in line and need to kill a very small amount of time, you can do that.

But otherwise, yes, it's way too easy, way too slow.  And even the hard puzzles aren't much more fun, they just require a little bit more trial-and-error.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is very addictive and awesome

Code of Princess seems like a competent side-scrolling beat 'em up from what I've played so far

Castlevania: LoS: Mirror of Fate loved this, it's old Castlevania 2D meets the new LoS game.  A tad short.

I've heard good things about the following and will be trying soon: PushMo, Gunman Clive, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mighty Switch Force!

I like Pushmo, but it does start out pretty slow. Also, I've only gotten three sets of puzzles in and haven't played since, so maybe I don't like it as much as I think I do.

Code of Princess seems like a competent side-scrolling beat 'em up from what I've played so far

I like this one too, though i don't think it's for everybody.

It's a spiritual successor to Treasure's Guardian Heroes, it's a fun, technical brawler.

I was browsing the 3DS store and it seems Code of Princess was released in Europe digitally only, which makes me pretty happy. I'm almost tempted to get the Harvest Moon game, but playing that in tandem with Animal Crossing seems... unwise?