Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

All I have for the 3DS is Resident Evil: Revelations, although I will say it plays fine with the CPP.

Although, I think my favorite thing to do on the 3DS is take 3D photos. (Not because there aren't great games for it, just because I really like taking 3D photos.)

The first year of the 3DS I mainly enjoyed collecting Mii's and doing the built-in games of gathering puzzle pieces and doing the Mii Quest thing. That was super fun.

As for Metal Gear, it seems that the (deliberately preposterous) story is the main draw. I... don't think that's for me. The Japanese tend to excel at weirdness, but there are cases where it's just weirdness for weirdness' sake and I take it as laziness. It is way easier to just be weird than actually sell a convincing drama or comedy.

I think looking up any of the threads in the past on Metal Gear, especially 3 may help? I really don't think the 3DS version is a good port at all having played the demo but I seriously loved the original game. I can imagine having a claustrophic lower res screen with not the same kind of field of view just hurts everything about the game play. The view port and menus are very clumsy on the 3DS version as well, it requires you to do too much. Adding the tilt stuff to the view port didn't really help things either.

I also think Metal Gear Solid 3 is the least ludicrous in terms of story of all Metal Gear games (except the very original), so if you found it preposterous by the 3DS demo alone, it's probably not for you. To me, that's a lot of the appeal of the Metal Gear games, the mix of drama with a bunch of supernatural crap and spy movie double crossings, all laced with quirkiness and humor in places. That said, I really did not enjoy most of MGS2 and I'm imagining when I get to 4, I'm going to think it sucks. Kojima could *really* use an editor though, I agree.

Otherwise, gameplay side, I've always enjoyed Metal Gear games, but they can definitely get arduous in spots. MGS3 has a steep learning curve because of the difficulty to hide yourself early on and learning the controls freshly at the same time. It becomes super easy as you get better camo, weapons, and skills later.

Anyway, don't play the 3DS version if you are wanting to test the series, that's all I can stress.

After having it linger around for a couple of months, I've finally started playing Resident Evil: Revelaitons (sic). It was weird having my 3DS suddenly boxed in by the cumbersome CPP and shackled by both earplugs and the charger. It felt like plugging into the goddamn Matrix.

But the game is so beautiful and atmospheric. I took my time going through the opening prologue, which is as always very moody and scary. I LOVE how the game seems to embrace its horror roots again and goes balls-out for the scary stuff. And the graphics, oh, everything else on the system suddenly pales in comparison.

My general opinion on Revelations remains unchanged from when i first played it, in that i don't think RE:Rev is nearly as good as RE4 was, but i do think it's an actual better game than RE5. (To be clear, i think RE4 is one of the best games i've ever played, i was ambivalent towards RE as a series until that game.) I mean, and even though Capcom's position seems to be that it's "only" a side-game, i do think it's big and ambitious enough that it deserves to be counted among the main series. The story is a total throwaway that doesn't tie into anything, but as a design, it is in every way true to the latter-day Resident Evil formula. (More RE4's frantic chaos than RE5's bro-heroism, but in more cramped quarters than either, which can be both a negative or a positive depending on your point of view.)

I also agree that Revelations is an astounding technical feat.

As has been the case for the more powerful Nintendo systems, we probably won't actually end up seeing a lot of games that push this hardware as hard as Revelations obviously does, but it pretty clearly illustrates that there isn't as much of a gulf between the 3DS and the Vita as there was between the DS and the PSP. (In fact, it seems like the 3DS/Vita cross-platform release is going to be a thing, looking at a few upcoming games.)

Anyways, i strongly endorse spending some time messing around with Revelation's raid-mode, that actually ended up being my favorite thing about the game. The online co-op is really well executed, and there's a good loot hook. (Though i suspect anybody still playing has crazy maxed out builds and might not be very fun to play with, in which case, it still works fine solo, but you miss out on some fun bonus missions that randomly pop up after playing co-op.)

I've put playing this game on hold for now, after reaching level 8. Two reasons specifically: one is that the CPP didn't register anymore. Surely the battery isn't drained if you leave the 3DS in the casing switched off? Also, there was an extremely tedious underwater section that I am not in the mood for, especially now that I have to deal with regular, cumbersome controls without camera input. Screw that.

Revelations has been extremely hit and miss. It has offered (so far) the most intense and terrifying moments I've ever had in a Resident Evil game. Being chased by creatures along tight ship quarters is really scary. I also enjoy the thick atmosphere on board and basically every moment where you just explore instead of fight. But other levels are so poor. Anytime the game forces you off the ship in favor of some ill-conceived sidestory (focus usually on action set pieces), the game just flops around. It breaks the tension and introduces obnoxious comedy characters. It convolutes. Lack of direction.

This game would have been so good with just the bits on the ghost ship, 70% of the monsters cut and no action sequences. Now it's a typical RE affair that Capcom cannot help choking on like a chicken bone.

I guess I should check in as I've already received my 3DS and have been playing it a fair bit. I actually really like this device despite early skepticism. I have to say, I wouldn't really be eager to pay full price for this console as I'm really learning that there aren't a ton of games I'm particularly interested in. Getting that out of the way, I've tried out a few demos and purchased two games - Pushmo and Super Mario 3D Land. Thus far, neither really "take advantage" of the 3D capability but I believe they both visually benefit from the effect. Although I never would have anticipated it, Nintendo continues to deliver a really charming Mario experience that goes outside of the box a bit with the 3D aspects laid on top of seemingly 2D environments.

This does make me a little pessimistic about New Super Mario Bros 2, however, as it really looks like a step back (and down) from the 3D (movement) aspect in 3D Land. I'm all for bringing sidescrolling gameplay into modern times, but I also feel like that's been a little played out. Unless Nintendo REALLY delivers, I can't imagine NSMB2 will be nearly as compelling as 3D Land or more directly Rayman Origins/Legends.

I had started up Revelations again, trying to get the last few Raid mode S-ranks and finish a Hell mode playthrough i hadn't completed.

I've put playing this game on hold for now, after reaching level 8. Two reasons specifically: one is that the CPP didn't register anymore. Surely the battery isn't drained if you leave the 3DS in the casing switched off?

The CPP doesn't seem to ever actually turn itself off. It goes to "sleep" after a period of inactivity, but still seems to drain its battery in this state. Nintendo had originally put out some numbers saying that a battery in the CPP will last for a few hundred hours, but in my experience, it seems to be way less.

Also, there was an extremely tedious underwater section that I am not in the mood for, especially now that I have to deal with regular, cumbersome controls without camera input. Screw that.

I actually kind of like the underwater bits in Revelations, i thought they were some of the most tense sections of the game, and underwater stuff always looks awesome in 3D. (Save up pulse grenades for those sections if they're troubling you, those are usable underwater.)

Revelations has been extremely hit and miss. It has offered (so far) the most intense and terrifying moments I've ever had in a Resident Evil game. Being chased by creatures along tight ship quarters is really scary. I also enjoy the thick atmosphere on board and basically every moment where you just explore instead of fight. But other levels are so poor. Anytime the game forces you off the ship in favor of some ill-conceived sidestory (focus usually on action set pieces), the game just flops around. It breaks the tension and introduces obnoxious comedy characters. It convolutes. Lack of direction.

The interludes are absolutely the worst part of the game, i hate that it keeps taking you away from the narrative you've been immersed in to play snippets of gameplay with other characters you don't know or care about for just a few minutes at a time. On top of that, what really does this stuff in is that your progression is all tied up with Jill, and that disappears completely during these interludes where you're then building up a new stock of supplies that won't carry back over to anything else. The "survival" part of the horror kind of evaporates when it keeps throwing your careful management of supplies out the window. You also can't upgrade any of the weapons belonging to the side characters, and that makes those sequences absolutely brutal on Hell difficulty. Nearly gave up on several occasions, but i'm still struggling through it.

:(

This game would have been so good with just the bits on the ghost ship, 70% of the monsters cut and no action sequences. Now it's a typical RE affair that Capcom cannot help choking on like a chicken bone.

I don't strongly disagree with any of the points you've made, but i do still think Revelations is an extremely good Resident Evil game. To me, It feels like a good fusion of old-school RE ideals, and new-school RE gameplay. (With the exception of those interludes, which we'll agree are unnecessary, out of character, and bad.)

Have you messed around with the raid mode at all? It probably won't click if you're into Rev for atmosphere and don't find the gameplay particularly interesting, but i personally got a ton of mileage out of co-oping with randoms through Raid mode. (Even solo, it's still great fun.) I mean, and i do feel there's a lot of nuance to the action in Rev. They actually seem to have learned a few tricks from Dead Space, with how you can damage specific limbs on an enemy to change the dynamic of an encounter. Breaking an ooze's arms with carefully aimed shots to impede it's ability to attack you at range, for example.

Thus far, neither really "take advantage" of the 3D capability but I believe they both visually benefit from the effect.

With the fixed camera perspective in the game, i actually find Super Mario 3D Land more difficult without the depth perception offered by the 3DS's autostereoscopy. I walked away from that game feeling like it was the best case Nintendo has made for the 3DS's fancy top screen.

This does make me a little pessimistic about New Super Mario Bros 2, however, as it really looks like a step back (and down) from the 3D (movement) aspect in 3D Land. I'm all for bringing sidescrolling gameplay into modern times, but I also feel like that's been a little played out. Unless Nintendo REALLY delivers, I can't imagine NSMB2 will be nearly as compelling as 3D Land or more directly Rayman Origins/Legends.

Also, the grim specter of Nintendo discovering DLC looms large over NSMB2.

You know, but i'm kind of in love with the "EVERYTHING IS COINS!" vibe NSMB2 is going for.

So, i dunno.

Raid mode isn't for me. I don't like The Mercenaries either. Unless I'm particularly playing an arcade game, I rarely can be bothered with gameplay just for gameplay's sake. I need story, man!

Anyway, I'm just miffed about the CPP. I'm sure if I still had it I'd plow through the underwater sections and finish the game. I still stand by how incredible its ghost ship environment is. I strongly feel we are in agreement about just about everything.

NSMB2 is high on my desired list. I, too, love the coin madness. It feels crazy and silly and just right. So far the DLC has been announced to be extra challenge maps which I'll happily skip. As for 3D on the system, I actually thought RErev was excellent in that regard. I played the whole game with the 3D effect on FULL, which I never did before. It adds a lot to the immersion. On other games it can be distracting or just nonsensical.

Re: NSMB2 being a step back

I'm guessing (read as: hoping) that Nintendo will maintain both the "New" and "3D Land" series. I don't see one as better than the other exactly... they're both really interesting/innovative in their own ways. It'd be a shame to see either go away.

And yeah, totally love the million coins concept.

Re: NSMB2 being a step back

I'm guessing (read as: hoping) that Nintendo will maintain both the "New" and "3D Land" series. I don't see one as better than the other exactly... they're both really interesting/innovative in their own ways. It'd be a shame to see either go away.

And yeah, totally love the million coins concept.

I concur. Honestly, Nintendo will continue to make as many Mario games ad infinitum so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more 3D Land. I have NSMB2 pre-ordered and can only hope that the two manage to remain distinct because I think 3D Land offers something with a little more vision, though I really need to play both to be sure about that.

Looks like North America might be getting Guild 01, Level 5's weird anthology game for the 3DS. I was hoping this might happen, but didn't really expect that it actually would. It's a super, super weird collection of incredibly disparate games from some pretty big names.

A top down shooter from Goichi Suda, an airport management sim from Yoot Saito, an... RPG item shop rhythm game thing... and a fourth game, a medieval "adventure RPG".

The anthology has been pretty well received, and it certainly sounds interesting, i definitely want to play this. There's also a Guild 02 in development, which will include a game from post-Capcom Keiji Inafune.

That's one I hadn't been expecting.

I'm very pleased that Virtue's Last Reward, the successor to the great 999, is getting released in the West. YESSSS.

And, I must admit that I've been enjoying Kingdom Hearts 3D. It's got a fun Pokemon vibe to it and the whole thing is charming.

The fact they brought in TWEWY characters almost had me, i almost want to play it, but i just find everything narrative about Kingdom Hearts so completely intolerable.

The narrative is complete nonsense, it's the worst Japanese emo drivel. But nonetheless amusing if you get yourself into the right mindset. If you're just coming for the cameos I'd not recommend it though.

On the topic of TWEWY, it looks like Square is actually getting ready to announce a 3DS sequel. (A countdown is running, and the hints are pretty clear.)

That's a thing i would be happy to play.

It makes sense; they have the 3DS models ready and the franchise has been pushed into the limelight again.

On the topic of TWEWY, it looks like Square is actually getting ready to announce a 3DS sequel. (A countdown is running, and the hints are pretty clear.)

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/

Ooooh yes.

EDIT: Looked into it more. It's likely an iOS port, but a tweet from one of the writers told people to hold on to their butts until the end of the countdown.

Last weekend I was at the Dutch Abunai convention for Japanese pop culture. It turned out to be an amazing social gathering of 3DS owners. On Saturday I tagged over 100 Mii's (thus getting a pretty hard to get achievement and lots of puzzle pieces and progression in Mii Quest). Everyone seemed to have a 3DS. I saw exactly zero PSVitas.

It's also interesting that you can see what people are playing when their Mii drops in. Kingdom Hearts 3D was easily the most popular game on the convention, New Super Mario Bros 2 was about as rare as Kid Icarus. I wonder if sales reflect these one-time impressions.

!

I never played the original, but I really want to. My friends wouldn't stop raving about it at that time. Well, one friend in particular, but his taste is generally something I trust. A sequel would be rad.

Oh man I just realized that I can start buying 3DS games again now that I have an income. This is not a good thing to realize. I've already got so much debt to pay offffff ahhhhhhh.

Hey, besides NSMB2, what would be your top recommendation for 3DS? I already have OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox. And a few DD titles. I realize this is a question probably already answered, so I'm about to reread (i.e., skim) the thread. U:

Pushmo / Pullblox (downloadable), Kingdom Hearts 3D (if that's your thing), Resident Evil Revelations (if that's your thing), I heard positive things, if that's your thing, about Kid Icarus too.

Don't get Metal Gear Solid 3, that's apparently a bad port.

Heh. I have Pushmo, but haven't yet played it. I think I plan to get Kid Icarus. The rest of those aren't really my thing, although Kingdom Hearts would have been a long while ago. When I was still into that sort of thing.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/

Ooooh yes.

EDIT: Looked into it more. It's likely an iOS port, but a tweet from one of the writers told people to hold on to their butts until the end of the countdown.

Well, looks like it is, in fact, just an iOS port.

The last detail they were telling people to wait for is simply that it has been significantly redesigned.

Looks like the combat system completely disregards the dual-battle gimmick of the DS game.

Bah.

Hey, besides NSMB2, what would be your top recommendation for 3DS? I already have OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox. And a few DD titles. I realize this is a question probably already answered, so I'm about to reread (i.e., skim) the thread. U:

I had already offered my answer for a question such as this right here.

There's also a lot of cool looking games in upcoming months, so keep a close eye on some of the lower profile 3DS releases that are going to be happening, there's some exciting stuff.

Also definitely look into the 3DS shop, there's loads of neat stuff in there. (Let me continue to endorse Mighty Switch Force.)

The 3DS has a bright future, i think.