Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

You can call me fanboy, but I am not! I know about what I talking!

In all seriousness, bringing console rivalry in here is kind of silly. None of us are partisan. I'm a fan of Nintendo, but not at the cost of liking Sony things. Of course, your signature leads me to believe you're a bot anyway, but still...

Can we finally admit that Nintendo messed up and released the 3DS too soon? If they just waited a few months the 3DS we could have had the 2nd nub as part of the 3DS!

I don't think there was really ever any doubt that this hardware was half baked when it launched with an OS featuring some half a dozen "to be added in a later firmware update" dead end notices.

I want to believe this system has a future, and i still really think it does, but Nintendo certainly got out there ahead of themselves. This is a piece of hardware where the early adopters were definitely glorified beta testers.

And Square Enix announced a game titled "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy."

I heard this is a spin-off of Recettear, focusing on the consequences of shopkeepers who default on their loans.

I heard wrong.

Not surprised but I was hoping they'd go ahead and announce a new hardware version. I want some of the games that use the ugly addon but don't want to buy a 3DS knowing it's inevitable a new one comes out. That conference seemed pretty pointless save for the MH announcements though.

The portability is the real issue, it really fucks the 3DS up for me, with how i use my 3DS. That thing is no longer pocket sized, not even close. That add-on is fucking enormous.

Agreed! The biggest issue is portability, and I think accessibility is also worth pointing out. It wasn't so long ago when Nintendo got up on stage and said, "modern console controllers are too complicated for normal people", and yet, here we are with two analog sticks on a handheld.

Given that the DS was so successful largely because of how accessible it was, I find this all very puzzling.

I don't disagree that it's something that can be worked around, but the fact remains that it is something that has to be worked around. There are a lot of games that will benefit from that second stick just as there were most certainly games on the PSP that would have seen benefit from a second stick. (Seen people doing the Monster Hunter claw? That in itself is probably the reason this peripheral exists.)

I'm of the belief that games should be design around the hardware they run on. I was so dumb-founded by the PSP's lack of games designed around that hardware. Why Metal Gear couldn't have taken on a top-down perspective a la MGS1 I'll never know. On the flip side, Super Mario Land 3D gets the camera stuff right.

video games are basically an elaborate work-around. These days, it's more about working around the limitations of Unreal engine vs the actual hardware, but the point still stands. Design is about making the best work arounds given the platform/engine/whatever limitations.

Mo

Hah!

The add-on needs a AA battery plugged in it to work!

But yeah, looks like all the big games are being designed around it. (MH3G, MH4, Resident Evil: Revelations, MGS: Snake Eater 3D, and a few others things including a just-announced Ace Combat 3D. There's a lot of buzz that Kid Icarus: Uprising is being retooled for it too.)

I have heard it's completely optional in these games, and the Kid Icarus thing is really just wishful thinking. AFAIK, there's no "rumor" or whatever that says KI is going to use it - just a bunch of people saying they hope it does.

And now people are saying that there was a single screenshot of a Smash game mixed into a montage, heh.

I... would be interested in knowing if this is true!

All things considered, I am quite pleased with the way things went in the conference. It was a little too Japanese, but that is all right since:

a) I actually still tend to like quite a few Japanese games, despite hating many of their antiquated design philosophies, and

B) It was, after all, a conference for Japan.

I am now considering procuring a 3DS very soon.

As I still don't have a 3DS and the worlds best branch company Nintendo of Europe hasn't even announced anything about the red 3DS, I'm leaning towards waiting for 3DS Lite/3DSi.

The extra pad looks so weird, now the screens aren't even in the center when that is used and the AAA battery thing is too funny, but not a big problem if you have Eneloop etc.

You would have to be a complete fool to buy a 3DS at this stage. For goodness sake, wait a year for the Lite version, which is the real version instead of the prototype.

Yeah, when the time comes I won't think twice about the Lite (unless they remove the 3D like the internet wants to believe). I love my 3DS, but man is Nintendo seeming to do everything they can to make that not be the case.

Yeah, when the time comes I won't think twice about the Lite (unless they remove the 3D like the internet wants to believe). I love my 3DS, but man is Nintendo seeming to do everything they can to make that not be the case.

Just like how I went from the DS Phat to DSi, I'm probably going to be that guy who stubbornly keeps using the original model through the first hardware revision and suffers through until they release the revised revised version, the 3DS Max (if it survives that long).

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current design, if they'd just release some goddamn games already.

You would have to be a complete fool to buy a 3DS at this stage. For goodness sake, wait a year for the Lite version, which is the real version instead of the prototype.

I guess I am a complete fool.

I never got a DSi, and don't feel as if I missed out on anything worthwhile. If, indeed, whatever revision they release for the 3DS in the future actually has the second stick and two extra buttons built in, by that time, I will actually have an income (having finally receieved my Master's degree and (hopefully) found a job), and won't mind spending the extra cash on the revision. If I think it's worth it.

I want to play the games that are coming out - and a few of the games that already ARE out, which are admittedly miniscule in number - and I'd rather not wait. Unlike when I wait for games on Steam, DS (and I guess 3DS) games might go out of print, and rarely decrease enough in price to make waiting actually worth it. Unless I buy used. Which I tend to avoid doing because I've had bad luck with that in the past. EDIT: And in fact, a lot of the games I love to play tend to INCREASE in price. Even used. See: Etrian Odyssey.

Shrug.

Well, Atlus game come out in smaller numbers, right? That's how they are affordable to them and that why they can get more expensive?

It looks like the Virtual Console game this week is Megaman, but... I'm one Euro short! Why is the eShop so backwards it forces you to buy things in 10€ increments? I refuse to spend 10€ when I only need one! :(

I guess I am a complete fool.

Shrug.

Yeah me too. I want one by november, when the 3d marioland thing comes out. For some reason I haven't been tempted by ocarina cause I've finished it a bunch of times already, but new starfox, mariokart, marioland, this sort of thing is going to make it very difficult for me to resist.

Well, Atlus game come out in smaller numbers, right? That's how they are affordable to them and that why they can get more expensive?

Yep. Atlus games are notorious for rising in price as time goes on. It's frustrating. I'd rather own them digitally, anyway. Ahhh if only consoles and handhelds would fully embrace DD.

At least the horrible looking add-on seems to feel nice to use in your hands according to Eurogamer's Fred Dutton.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-3ds-circle-pad-extension-preview

And if you have an Eneloop or any other similar great recharging battery, then it's not a problem to have one AAA battery inside the monster.

The bottom line is that it's stupid and I feel that it's not necessary, but at least it's good if it feels comfortable in your hands if this thing becomes a must to have in the first gen 3DS. The total size of it in length is the size of PSP. Thickness is bigger I guess?

Yep. Atlus games are notorious for rising in price as time goes on. It's frustrating. I'd rather own them digitally, anyway. Ahhh if only consoles and handhelds would fully embrace DD.

Nintendo is the only one who doesn't do DD, Sony has full PS3 games, it's just that since they don't have a section for it like the 360 does, nobody knows about it, and there are many PSP games that you can only buy through DD, in Europe it's rare to get an Atlus game on PSP that isn't through DD.

And... since nobody has made the joke yet...

"I'm glad the 3DS nub uses batteries, at least it now has some AAA material in it!"

:dopefish:

:woohoo:

:getmecoat

So.. who else here has played the free Four Swords game? I could have swearing I played the original and this is nothing like it.... I guess that's why they call it the 25th Anniversary edition?

While it can be played solo, I do believe the only reason they gave us this game for free is because it's only fun with friends... At least I hope it is?

The solo game feels so uninspired and dare I say it? It's dull! The puzzles are too easy, and so are the bosses, sure I died a few times and you have to pay with rupees to continue, but I guess when you're playing alone you just get too many rupees to even have to worry about it?

The retro levels are nice touch, they even use the proper palette so they look right in the era the game is from, but these extra levels don't even have bosses...

I really hope this like L4D, so-so alone, but awesome with friends, because it's very boring solo.

EDIT: Just as I feared this game is multiplayer, but NOT ONLINE, it's just a clever ruse from Nintendo to convince your friends to buy a 3DS to play this awesome free multiplayer game... which was only free for one day?:erm:

Edited by Tanukitsune

Only free for a day? Say what? I picked it up a couple of days after it went live and it was still plenty free. That said, at the same time I picked up Super Mario Land 2, so I haven't given any attention to Four Swords yet. Also, Kirby just arrived from Amazon, so I'll be playing that. Too much other DS stuff requiring my attention right now to worry about the quality of the free Zelda, but the chunk of tutorial I played seemed like a tutorial.

I guess I got it wrong, but it is definitely a limited offer.

Let me guess, is one of the DS games you're playing Solatorobo?:mock:

Four Swords is a port of the GBA game, the fact that they added a SP mode to it is already more than they needed to do.

And it's going to be available until well into 2012, the product description page in the store clearly states that.

As for upcoming DS games -

Aliens Infestation is a thing i want to play.

Squad-based Metroidvania with perma-death!

Hello good sir! It just so happens I reviewed Aliens: Infestation for the upcoming [N]Gamer issue (the Dutch mag, not the British knock-off).

It's good! It's pretty good. 'Squad-based' is a little deceptive: you only play with one dude at any time. The permadeath is a superb feature, though you find plenty of other marines willing to join your party throughout the game. It's a very atmospheric title and going through the bowels of the USS Sulaco is definitely a high point. Controls take some getting used to, but are fine. The downsides to this game are really uninspired and lousy boss fights and ultimately a lack of, I'd like to say, ambition. It feels like the designers were contented with making a really nice, middling game, instead of shooting for the stars and trying to reach Metroid greatness.

Nevertheless, a solid title on a dying handheld! It also inspired me to rewatch the Alien quadrilogy and I'm having a whale of a time with that.

Oh hey, that's awesome to hear! There's not a lot of coverage floating around for that game, even now it's not easy unearthing many details about it.

It seems like a weird project, i've heard rumors that it's been actually done for something in the vicinity of two years. It was something they've just been sitting on to try and coordinate a release with Gearbox's troubled thing, but now Infestation is coming out and Gearbox's game is still a ways off.

WayForward is a cool studio though, and i've always been a fan of Aliens. I'd definitely like to play this.

I didn't know those rumours. It certainly doesn't feel like a release that needs to come in under the wings of a console big brother. In fact it has this really cool, old school aesthetic. If you're an Alien fan this is worth checking out, it's clear the game loves everything in the movies and wants to incorporate as many things of it as it can.

I've been playing Aliens:Infestation all weekend and I can tell you also that it is a great title.

I haven't actually even turned on my DS in a long time since July, but now I did and that is all thanks to Wayforward's latest creation.