Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Holy shit I didn't believe this would happen. Nintendo is panicking! This is a desperation move if ever I saw one. Guys, I hate to say it, but it seems the 3DS, at least the first version of it, is pretty much stillborn. The best we can do now is hope that they get the machine they obviously wanted when they release the Lite version next year.

This is a disgrace. What a ridiculous, awful peripheral.

This is a disgrace. What a ridiculous, awful peripheral.

I don't know what you're talking about, you're crazy. Clearly the 3DS needed five triggers and a bizarre off-center grip that is twice the size of the system itself.

Why do they care so much about a few extra buttons? Is the new Mario game in need of them or something? Nintendo are definitely acting weird. First the price drop, now this? Hmm.

Why do they care so much about a few extra buttons? Is the new Mario game in need of them or something? Nintendo are definitely acting weird. First the price drop, now this? Hmm.

It's more about the second stick, i think Nintendo doesn't want to look like they're lagging behind the PS Vita. When that thing was revealed at a 250 price point, it seems like it sent shock waves through Nintendo.

Combined with slower than expected 3DS sales, general 3D-backlash in the market, and apparently Nintendo's investors pushing for Nintendo to start releasing games on iOS, Nintendo seems to be in serious damage control mode.

They're being very reactionary and aggressive, and who knows how it's all going to pan out.

Way to make the pretty shiny portable thing no longer pretty and less portable, Nintendo...:tmeh:

I wonder if all the games that have been pushed back or cancelled are really just being remade for the new nub? Although it's probable they are waiting to see if anybody actually buys a bloody 3DS so they have someone to sell their games to!

The second analog stick is important because Monster Hunter.

rveC8emubkw

Oh my, that is one ugly piece of hardware, but I guess it is pretty hard make that kind of stupid add-on look good no matter what. I was actually quite surprised by Nintendo's stubbornness not to include a second analog stick in 3DS despite the fact that gamers (and developers) are clearly used to and comfortable with it by now and the fact that it must cost practically nothing at all.

I wonder if all the games that have been pushed back or cancelled are really just being remade for the new nub?

Everybody was complaining about the Kid Icarus game having no control option for lefties, since it's controlled by the stick/touchscreen.

Having it support this second-stick peripheral would address that.

Ok, it makes sense now. They're afraid that the 3D of the 3DS is going to be seen as a boring gimmick and that will be killed by the Vita... so they're doing everything they can to "beat" (catch up to) the Vita. I see.

I thought the 3DS had been pretty popular, I'm surprised that they're freaking out so much... but then again, I totally agree with the gimmickness of the 3D.

I thought the 3DS had been pretty popular, I'm surprised that they're freaking out so much... but then again, I totally agree with the gimmickness of the 3D.

It's kind of the weird thing, that.

The 3DS has been about as successful as the DS was in its first year, so i think it's way too early to write Nintendo and this hardware off. (Even from a software standpoint, i'd urge you to remember that the DS was absolutely dire in its first year.)

On the other hand, between the DS and the 3DS was the breakout success of the Wii, so what was a sales success for Nintendo then is treated as a failure by their current sales expectations.

So... Eh, it's a weird situation.

The 3D bubble and the Wii fad led Nintendo to have inflated expectations for the 3DS, and now they're having to deal with reality.

There's also a lot of people who feel handhelds in general are going to die off because of the iOS and Android devices, but i don't really buy into that, not yet at least.

There's also a lot of people who feel handhelds in general are going to die off because of the iOS and Android devices, but i don't really buy into that, not yet at least.

Yeah, same here. Although I suppose it may happen eventually.

It is unfortunate for me that they chose to release the system before they had finished designing it. Of course, this follows tradition.

Is it me or it a bad idea to compete with iOS devices and PSVita at the same time? They are almost polar opposite crowds to me.

Is it me or it a bad idea to compete with iOS devices and PSVita at the same time? They are almost polar opposite crowds to me.

What exactly are you getting at?

I mean, I think it's fairly obvious by now that iOS and Android devices are a genuine threat to the traditional handheld space, but i've never ever gotten the impression that Nintendo is taking them seriously as competition. This dumb second stick peripheral seems entirely geared towards competing directly with the Vita, and i'm fairly certainly it is only the Vita that Nintendo is afraid of and trying to compete with. If anything, Nintendo has even been outwardly dismissive of the emerging smartphone/tablet market, and it's probably something that will come back to bite them in the ass.

I guess you're right, they're more afraid of PSVita than anything else, it's just that the sleek design of their consoles always gave me an "Apple vibe", but now they ruined it to add an extra nub, I guess they really don't care that much about it anymore?:erm:

Holy mother of God that is an ugly peripheral. I've not been impressed by a single thing that's happened since the release of the 3DS and am extremely glad I opted out of early adoption. :fart:

Hmm, I just realized it's been two weeks without a Virtual Console update and only one DSiWare game each week?

Sure, you gave the Ambassadors some free games, but that doesn't mean you can slack off on the Virtual Console, free games weren't necessary, but the weekly Virtual Console update is part of the "deal" Nintendo made with all 3DS users, Ambassadors or not!:(

Nintendo just streamed their 3DS-themed TGS presser and probably the biggest news was that they've scored not only an updated version of Monster Hunter Tri exclusive for the 3DS with a ton of new stuff, but also a proper exclusive in Monster Hunter 4. (Which looks pretty rad, it really does.)

The second-stick hardware add-on is also probably going to be around 20 bucks. It's cheap enough that it's probably going to end up being packed in with a bunch of games. (A whole ton of games are going to support it.)

Also, Kid Icarus was delayed again. Shit.

And Square Enix announced a game titled "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy."

I don't even know or care what that game is about, that is the best name ever, and it must remain unchanged if it ends up getting a North American release.

Also, other boring things.

Ok, for $20 I'll buy the fucking ugly analogue stick. I'm not happy that they chose to add it so soon after releasing the console, but as long as things actually support it I'll deal. God, I'm such a sucker for Nintendo stuff. I've known that for a while, but when the news about the second stick leaked it was the first time when I've actually felt like a sucker. I'm just not sure how to feel about the console now. Still, I'm happily anticipating my GBA downloads, so I guess I'm not too mad at them yet.

Hah!

The add-on needs a AA battery plugged in it to work!

But yeah, looks like all the big games are being designed around it. (MH3G, MH4, Resident Evil: Revelations, MGS: Snake Eater 3D, and a few others things including a just-announced Ace Combat 3D. There's a lot of buzz that Kid Icarus: Uprising is being retooled for it too.)

And now people are saying that there was a single screenshot of a Smash game mixed into a montage, heh.

I love watching the internet scramble to devour information like this.

It takes up a battery? A bunch of extra buttons? This is beyond crazy.

On a more positive note, the footage from the free Four Swords Zelda game looks great and I can't wait to download it for free and at no cost.

We understand that portable devices are suppose to be portable, right? I don't care how much that thing costs, there's no way I'm going to buy one.

I don't get the obsession with two analog sticks. It really is possible to make a game with a decent camera that doesn't need constant adjustment, especially on a handheld console! If I wanted to play console games, I'd play them on a console. The argument worked during the DS/PSP generation, and I don't see how things are so different now.

Mo

We understand that portable devices are suppose to be portable, right? I don't care how much that thing costs, there's no way I'm going to buy one.

I don't get the obsession with two analog sticks. It really is possible to make a game with a decent camera that doesn't need constant adjustment, especially on a handheld console! If I wanted to play console games, I'd play them on a console. The argument worked during the DS/PSP generation, and I don't see how things are so different now.

Mo

I don't disagree that it's something that can be worked around, but the fact remains that it is something that has to be worked around. There are a lot of games that will benefit from that second stick just as there were most certainly games on the PSP that would have seen benefit from a second stick. (Seen people doing the Monster Hunter claw? That in itself is probably the reason this peripheral exists.)

The portability is the real issue, it really fucks the 3DS up for me, with how i use my 3DS. That thing is no longer pocket sized, not even close. That add-on is fucking enormous.

What is the battery thing for the nub true? That's beyond ludicrous!

Can we finally admit that Nintendo messed up and released the 3DS too soon? If they just waited a few months the 3DS we could have had the 2nd nub as part of the 3DS!

From what I've heard it seems like many of the games that actually make having a 3DS worth it will need it.

Monster Hunter wouldn't need the Monster Claw technique if the game had a lock-on function. :shifty:

its realy dissapointing bro

Nintedo has missed out alot of hardware and put The 3d as its main feature

but the 3d is fake and bullshit hurts ur eyes and theres intrest about it

so the 3ds aint recomened to anyone the games are crap so far Belive me if this doesnt get hacked then its a big fail

many people were goin to buy this for mgs 3 but now mgs3 is releaseing on ps3 with HD and trophies:woohoo: