Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Your soul earns an F minus, I'm afraid. ;(

I always wanted to get a 3DS eventually, but I've been waiting for a price cut and/or the inevitable "Lite" equivalent, not to mention some free time. Since the value of all the virtual console games being proffered to the early adopters exceeds the amount of the price cut, I am trying to figure out whether it would be more judicious to buy before or after August 12th. At the moment I'm still trying to get through my backlog of unplayed regular DS games and so find it difficult to justify a new system just yet. (And dammit, I didn't know about that new Kirby, which looks awesome.)

I'm actually playing Yoshi's Island 2 on my 3DS RIGHT NOW and it looks pretty damned good. I'd say that if you're working through a DS back catalogue, (if it were me) it would do more to offset the lack of more than a couple good 3DS games right now and make the system even more appealing. Just play those on a 3DS and they look and play just fine. The lowered d-pad takes a bit of adjustment, but I don't even notice it anymore.

Showing characteristic restraint, I bought a 3DS along with Ocarina and Street Fighter IV about two hours after making my previous post. Quite pleased with my purchase so far. :tup:

Ocarina is SO GOOD. I'm actually contemplating replaying it with Master Quest on right away, even though that's sort of silly given that I've barely finished the vanilla game. I would also recommend Pilotwings, though it seems to not be the favourite of a lot of people. And get Link's Awakening and Super Mario Land from the eShop. You need to log in there sometime before the 12th to get your free stuff anyway, may as well buy some sweet games while you're doing it.

The more I think about it, the more this seems like a brilliant play by Nintendo. Not only are they dropping the price so that people who are casually browsing at an HMV or something will take notice, but suddenly all this free stuff (assuming a price point of $5 a pop, $100 worth of it) is enticing people to spend the $80 extra and get one now with the promise of getting more than that difference back in freebies. We've now seen this happen already. Crazy, evil-genius stuff here Nintendo.

The red 3DS would be the only first generation 3DS I would like to buy.

I saw it in Japan when they released it and it looks sooooooooooo gooooooood.

I already wrote to the Ocarina thread, but I hope there would be some details from big N about the western release of that red one.

Still, I'm almost sure I can't get over the region lock and battery issues.

EDIT: Wawoot!

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/10/nintendo-to-release-flame-red-3ds-in-us-on-september-9/

So Nintendo is doing the same as in Japan, releasing Starfox 64 3D and the red 3DS on the same day. In Japan it happened 14th July and in US 9th September. I wonder what will the suckers at NoE do then? Propably release next year.

Edited by Kolzig

Damn, the 3DS is sooo cheap... but I'm still a little hung up on the size of the screen for DS games. I love Professor Layton (and his games) and playing them on a smaller screen or blurry(?) and upscaled isn't a great prospect. Especially given how XL owners seemed to go on about how the larger screen size was really the way DS games should have always been played.

Never mind, I'll figure it out.

As I've said, I've been playing a bunch of old DS games on my 3DS and haven't found the upscaling to be a problem at all. I think it's probably because the screens are small enough that you can't notice unless you're looking really hard for it already.

As I've said, I've been playing a bunch of old DS games on my 3DS and haven't found the upscaling to be a problem at all. I think it's probably because the screens are small enough that you can't notice unless you're looking really hard for it already.

But are they 2D games like Layton, or are they 3D ones? I imagine 3D ones will be fine, but when it's pixel perfect artwork I get worried. Especially when there's sites with people who seem to notice:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/playing-ds-on-a-3ds-is-less-than-ideal/

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=580963

Haven't tried Layton. Yoshi's Island 2 looks as good as ever though, and that's all beautiful spritework. The only thing that would concern me is playing something like Henry Hatsworth where you need to have super precise dpad work and swap quickly to the stylus. I'm not sure that would work so well with the 3DS' set up.

With this and Avenging Spirit the eShop is starting to look decent, it's good to have game from bigger names that aren't Nintendo there.

Did the Wii ever get the SNES version of Gargoyle's Quest?:erm:

My resistance to buying a 3DS is running thin now that Gargoyle's Quest is available in the eShop.

PT840DB9FK_eCaH3MUPHb3DwzgzPZSQ8.jpg

This is one of those Game Boy games I should have played the first time around, but never did.

So I should get it? I honestly know next to nothing about this game, but am always up for a good virtual console romp, especially as I've now finished every puzzle in Picross.

You play as the red demon from Ghost N' Goblins, if that helps? I remember liking it as a kid, but that's about it.

I've never played a single game from the G*s & G*s series, so that doesn't do much for me. If it's an awesome game though, I'm up for it.

Avenging Spirit is pretty shit. For a Game Boy game it's mediocre, but for today's standard that's... pretty shit. Constantly respawning enemies jumping up and down the screen and poor level design. Really the only redeeming factor is the jumping bodies mechanic that was way ahead of its time, but that doesn't make it a good game.

Well, I've always wanted to play Avenging Spirit even if it's Game Boy port of the original arcade game, so I guess I was too excited to care? You can possess a wizard with a kitty hood!

Not to mention this is an EARLY Game Boy game... Did I mention you can possess a robot that shoots missiles? :getmecoat

So all those NES games that were supposed to arrive tomorrow for ambassadors are out already. I downloaded all 10 and played through world 6 or the original Super Mario Bros real quick. Fun as ever, but the NES games are not the exciting part of the ambassador program. Not that owning a 4th copy of Zelda, 3rd copy of Zelda 2, and nth copy of Super Mario Bros isn't great or anything, but the GBA games are where it's at. I am of the opinion that Super Circuit is the best of the Mario Karts, and the rest of the announced crop are all pretty awesome as well. Now to eagerly await news of when they will arrive.

Flame Red 3DS is coming to Australia on 22nd September, does that mean it's coming out in three weeks in Europe also?

NoE I demand an answer to this question!

Because hell yeah I will buy that for 150€ if it comes out now here also. Australia is PAL area so why not? US gets it 9th September so Europe is now the only one left out, like always.

Edited by Kolzig

Wow, those NES games... are pretty bad. Bros 1, Zelda 1 and Metroid are super, but the rest is kinda awful.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Wrecking Crew, had no idea what I had to do at the beginning but it became fun once I figured it out. DK Jr is ok as well, Ice climbers is still as meh as I remember it when I was younger.

I still haven't tried out the NES Golf or Zelda 2 but I can't complain overall seeing as they're free

You are correct that Wrecking Crew is pretty fun.

But you are incorrect in your assessment of 'free, therefore no demands on quality'. Technically, we didn't have to pay for them, but they are meant to act as a balm for customers who otherwise would have felt really cheated by the incredible price plummet. i.e., Some quality is absolutely expected to make up for that. It's a shame Nintendo can't/won't roll out the GBA titles sooner than start 2012, since one can reasonably surmise those to be of much greater value. Getting those GBA games to work must be a pain in the ass?

Especially seeing as how the NES games are half-assed too. No save states possible? Now how am I supposed to play Metroid? Surely not the way it was meant to be played, that's ludicrous.