Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I was reading an interview with the dev team where those guys were saying Ocarina 3D runs at 30 fps as opposed to the original's 20 fps, making the game slightly easier overall since the smoother gameplay lets you react more quickly.

Also, beyond the water temple changes, i've noticed many spots in the dungeons where they've made slight alterations to ease up some of the puzzles. (Assuming my memory of the original game is correct, and i'm reading the situation in the remake properly, at least one small puzzle was literally pre-solved when you arrive to it.)

Is it true they made Ganondorf a unicorn? Wait don't tell me, I haven't gotting to it yet.

Apparently this includes the 'master quest' version of the game from the GameCube release, which includes significant changes to the dungeons to make them harder — as well as mirrors them. Would be interested to hear what that's like if anyone finishes the game to unlock it. :tup:

I think I vaguely remember playing the Gamecube version, enemies do more damage, many things have changed placed and the world is mirrored?

I love Ocarina of Time, but so much that I'd play "play it on Hard" specially right after beating it. I heard it's harder for people who know the game well since it changes things in way that's harder for people who knew what to do in normal mode.

Yeah, I played Master Quest on GCN up through Jabu-Jabu, and it's rough if you have the early dungeons memorized to the extent that I do. Interesting to try though, and when I beat OoT3DS and eventually want to play it again in a year or so, I'll probably boot up Master Quest that time to have a new-ish experience.

So I ended up buying Links Awakening and I'm quite impressed. First of all I really like the fact that it's not based in Hyrule :tup: and the gameplay is pretty tight so far.

I've spoken to the owl a couple of times and have gotten to the entrance of what looks like the first dungeon in the forest.

Thanks for the recommendation Miffy :tup::tup:

I also got OoT3D so I've now got 2 Zelda games which I've never really played before to go through, good times :)

Also, how's Nintendo's online infrastructure this time? from the looks of it do I only need to supply 1 friend code now? AND I can see who's currently online!? I think that's a first for Nintendo lol.

Well here's my Friend Code if anyone wants it :) 1289-8325-5420

I had a quick look in case there was a 3DS friends list thread in the Multiplayer section, but there's only a DS one from about 2/3 years ago... :(

Friend codes still need to be exchanged mutually, otherwise you can't see each other online.

And there's no messaging system.

So it's still kind of meh.

Friend codes still need to be exchanged mutually, otherwise you can't see each other online.

And there's no messaging system.

So it's still kind of meh.

awwww... and here I was getting excited. Well it's kind of like a side step from the Wii then, you can now see who's online but can't message them :tmeh:

but is it 1 friend code for the entire thing? because that was the worst thing about the Wii and DS in general.

awwww... and here I was getting excited. Well it's kind of like a side step from the Wii then, you can now see who's online but can't message them :tmeh:

but is it 1 friend code for the entire thing? because that was the worst thing about the Wii and DS in general.

Yes, just one.

Just gonna throw this out here (aside from the statement that I'm sure there was a 3DS friend code page somewhere...): Today. Virtual Console. Kirby's. Motherfucking. Dreamland. $4.

I know it's short as hell and pretty easy (I think I beat the game while I was typing this, in fact), but I have so many amazing memories of playing this game as a kid. I didn't have my own gameboy or my own copy of the game (I played a borrowed-from-a-friend copy on my sister's Game Boy Pocket) but I still managed to play this game to death. Even at 8 or 9 years old, I could systematically destroy this game, and would do so at least once every two or three days. It was just something I'd do to relax. Got a free half hour? Whup Kirby's Dreamland. I was sort of exaggerating about beating it while typing this, but I did buy it twenty-five minutes before writing this post and started typing after the credits rolled. It's still fantastic though. The amount of personality in those sprites strikes me a lot more now that I'm older and have seen more than my share of uninspired game artwork. It really is fantastic. I don't feel bad about spending $4 on a 20-ish minute game because I know that I'm going to get at least 4 or 5 hours out of playing it over and over. If you won't, take it under consideration. If you're a big Kirby fan, as I am, get on this immediately.

Just a heads up: I'm going to re-up this post in the DSiWare thread for posterity, so don't bother reading the exact block of text twice.

I still have my copy of Kirby's Dreamland, i love that game so much.

Kirby is awesome, i will still unironically buy and enjoy new Kirby games.

Speaking of which, i want this -

s5T9eVfuiOo

^ Will be a retail DS game, apparently releases on September 20th.

It looks like Loco Roco with a Kirby swarm, and the apparent touchscreen emphasis makes me want to draw some positive comparisons to Canvas Curse.

So now that the 3DS is getting a massive price cut, Nintendo is moving quickly to compensate early adopters.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=30048

Am i reading this right? So ten free NES Virtual Console games, and... Exclusive access to GBA Virtual Console games... Also for free, or paid? (Edit: Re-reading that, it sounds like the GBA games will be free too.)

Either way, that's a lot of free shit. (A lot, i'd say they're even overcompensating. Twenty free games!)

Man, and these are really incredibly good games too. Nintendo really doesn't want to piss of those early adopters, i guess.

Metroid Fusion, Mario vs Donkey Kong, WarioWare, Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart Super Circuit, etc... The NES games aren't anything to scoff at either, hard to complain about Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros, even if i do already own multiple copies of those.

I guess i'm happy? I don't feel particularly cheated by the price cut, i've had fun with my 3DS, and price cuts are always an eventuality. I suppose it's happened unusually early in this case, but the 3DS sales were apparently precipitous. I wasn't expecting a price cut until the holidays, and i certainly wasn't expecting such a massive one.

I mean, holy shit, 250 to 170. Daaamn.

Edited by Sno

They say it's all free, but it's likely to be games we already own for real or on the Wii Virtual Console, speaking of which...

This weak we got in Europe... BASEBALLL! :clap::woohoo::clap::fart::tdown::getmecoat

I don't really agree with any notion that they're overcompensating. Nintendo loses nothing from this. They get press about the lower price, price sensitive people will now pick it up, and early adopters are appeased with games they'd likely never buy on their own (not to mention cost Nintendo zip since they're all first-party games). If they wanted to generate real value for consumers, they'd give out manufacturer's coupons for future Nintendo releases or even carte blanche credit for 3DSWare and Virtual Console stuff in the name of consumer choice.

I just borrowed my Dad's Nintendo DS, and damn if I'm not loving playing on that thing. I'm still not convinced about the 3DS, though. If I was going to buy a DS, it'd be a toss up between the DSXL and the 3DS... leaning towards the DSXL.

Any thoughts/advice?

Wouldn't 3DS cost the same as DSXL after the price cut?

Just been looking this up, and apparently it would be cheaper... Wow. But I have the following concerns:

- I'd prefer a larger screen to having 3D on a smaller screen.

- I'm worried that DS games won't scale up well (?).

- Small screen...

Maybe the XL will come down in price now? :-/

I'd prefer a larger screen to having 3D on a smaller screen.

/

As the most elderly poster on Idle Forums, I love my DSi XL. I can play my crossword puzzles without getting a hand cramp, and Zelda games are bright and colorful, really benefiting from the bigger view.

I will have to break down and buy a 3DS whenever the new Rocket Slime game comes out. Hopefully it will be big by then!

As for scaling, I have never really had a problem with it. DS games aren't the greatest lookers anyway, and anything I've tried to play on my 3DS so far has looked just fine to me. I think you'd really need to be looking in order to get put off by it.

If the GBA games remain exclusive to early adopters, I'm actually pretty happy with the free stuff we'll be getting. I was just recently thinking of ebaying a copy of Mario Kart Super Circuit, so getting a copy of it on my 3DS for free is a totally awesome proposition. Also, Mario vs Donkey Kong 1 is a game that I've never played but have wanted to check out for a long time. Throw in an Advance Wars somewhere in those 5 unannounced games and I will be the happiest. The NES games thing seems like a weird choice, as I was under the impression that those would not be coming out on the portable VC, but I'll take it. Hell, no GBA games being announced for the VC was my biggest problem with it, so hearing that not only is it happening, but 10 of them are going to be free for me does feel kind of like overcompensation when I think about it. As an early adopter, you take a risk. I did, and it turns out I'm getting burned $80 about 3 months after I took it. That's a bummer, but now I'm getting 20 free games, including the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, a game that (every time I complete a user survey on Club Nintendo) I whine to Nintendo about bringing to the Wii's VC constantly.

From the press release:

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

All 5 of those games (the 4 I've played, at least) are fucking amazing and some of the best things on the GBA. I'm getting them, and 5 others, for free. And it's exclusive to early adopters. I think I can say with some confidence that Nintendo is making picking up one of these things before the price drop was announced worth the $80. The 10 NES games will eventually come to the VC anyway, but this is some awesome shit. Also, remember Excitebike 3D, the game that was free for the first month of the eShop being open? All told, for buying the console before August, Nintendo is giving me 21 free games to play on it. When I read the headline of the price drop, I felt burned. Now that I've seen all this, I freaking love those guys.

EDIT: Almost missed this:

I will have to break down and buy a 3DS whenever the new Rocket Slime game comes out.

Fuck yeah you will! High five for loving Rocket Slime!

Oh shit. Why did you have to put that idea in my head?

Fuck you both. That would be the best.

Minish Cap is the absolute best a Zelda game has ever looked.